Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Interviewing a prospective CP

I would like to publish your suggestions on my website.

I am making a page of questions that will help a new amputee to choose a CP. Heaven's knows, when you're a new amp, everything is so overwhelming, and well, you just don't know what you don't know.... I am hoping that this will shed some light on this for new amps.

So........if you were interviewing a prospective CP, what questions would you have asked if you knew then what you know now about arty legs....??

Thanks so much - this forum has already contributed a lot of information on my site.

:)

Hi Ally

Just to get the ball rolling, I have three questions you could 'tactfully' ask a prospective private prosthetist...

· How long have you practised and where have you worked?

· What are the most common types of amputation level you have treated?

· What types of socket have you successfully fitted?

And, that's just for starters...:P

Lizzie :)

I'd add:

- How often do you deal with an amputation like mine?

- What are your general procedures/timelines for construction and fitting?

- How do you deal with "maintenance" issues, such as stump shrinkage?

- If I need to see you, how long is the "normal" wait for an appointment? What about "emergencies?"

- Are you familiar with and/or trained in working with a variety of components, or do you work primarily with one manufacturer?

- What would you recommend for my situation... and WHY?

My 2 cents:

--how would you feel if at some point I got a second opinion?

--why did you choose to go into this field?

--how do you keep updated on new systems/techniques? (professional development)

Carol

ARE you a certified prosthetist?

What is the maximum number of socks before you normally recast?!!!

Another set of questions for you, Ally...

* Have you a similar patient to me (i.e. amp level, age & activity level(s)) who would be willing to talk to me?

* What other services does your clinic offer, apart from provision of prostheses (e.g. gait training, complementary therapies, counselling...etc)?

* Do you know of any amputee support groups in the area?

Spoke with my CP yesterday....here is an interesting one....we went to visit a new amp. He is very impatient to get his first leg. Marco is making him wait for another 3 weeks...

Another patient went to my CP the other day, AK, to get a 2nd opinion about whether he was ready for a leg. Marco says his stump was still HUGE and round. Definitely needed to get into a shrinker first. The other CP was ready to cast and sell him a definitive socket.

So..........

How long will you wait for me to shrink to an acceptable level before fitting me for my first leg?

Believe it or not, some CP's don't care - they will fit you anytime to make a quick buck, and then fit you again in a few weeks and make some more money-for-nothing. Sheesh!

Spoke with my CP yesterday....here is an interesting one....we went to visit a new amp. He is very impatient to get his first leg. Marco is making him wait for another 3 weeks...

Another patient went to my CP the other day, AK, to get a 2nd opinion about whether he was ready for a leg. Marco says his stump was still HUGE and round. Definitely needed to get into a shrinker first. The other CP was ready to cast and sell him a definitive socket.

So..........

How long will you wait for me to shrink to an acceptable level before fitting me for my first leg?

Believe it or not, some CP's don't care - they will fit you anytime to make a quick buck, and then fit you again in a few weeks and make some more money-for-nothing. Sheesh!

Hi Ally

I think that may have something to do with not taking a patients finances into account.

In the UK, as an NHS patient, you are cast for your temporary primary limb as soon as your scar has healed. They're very keen to get you up and mobile as soon as possible, as it's better for both your physical and psychological health.

If it's such a good idea to get you mobile as soon as poss, then I would have thought that private practitioners should be doing it as a matter of course and they should also be able to financially 'absorb' the cost of fitting and delivering a temporary primary limb. They know it takes approx 2 years to shrink after an amp...so why shouldn't they be more adaptable? For goodness sake, it's not rocket science, is it!

If it's such a good idea to get you mobile as soon as poss, then I would have thought that private practitioners should be doing it as a matter of course and they should also be able to financially 'absorb' the cost of fitting and delivering a temporary primary limb. They know it takes approx 2 years to shrink after an amp...so why shouldn't they be more adaptable? For goodness sake, it's not rocket science, is it!

Nope, not rocket science. But believe me, as a private patient (or insured one), they WILL charge you for the next socket. Sick hey?

<_<

not rocket science, is it!

Not rocket

for the socket

out of pocket

you can walk it!

(Note to mods: Delete key is OK if this offends.)

Nope, not rocket science. But believe me, as a private patient (or insured one), they WILL charge you for the next socket. Sick hey?

<_<

Yes, I agree...it's very sick, Ally...and as a caring profession, they should be ashamed of themselves! :unsure: