Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Ally

Squeaky foot....

This is so basic, I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know this....

I was at my leg-man last week and I said to him - "listen to me, I'm squeaking".

He said "can't you whistle while you walk?"

<_<

It was the foot, and NO, I can't whistle and walk at the same time. I can't whistle, period.

So he took my leg, got some Johnson's baby powder, shoved a generous bunch into the foot shell, shook it around, and PRESTO - silence!

My my.....I could have done that! The wonders of modern science..............

my foot went CRACK once and dropped off, it wasn't convenient either as I was lifting a gearbox out of a car at the time. Fortunately I had a friend helping me so with a bit of precise hopping and my friend's help we got the gearbox out.

Hey Ally every time my foot makes a noise it's always bad news lol

By the way I can't walk while you chew gum :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I can't walk if I'm wearing sunglasses.

Why is that do you suppose??

:rolleyes:

Try wearing them on your face and not your feet Ally :lol: :lol:

Ouch - I 'walked' straight into that one now didn't I?

:rolleyes: :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I can't walk if I'm wearing sunglasses.

Why is that do you suppose??

:blink:

I have my own theory on this one...:rolleyes:

First of all, it depends upon how bright the sunshine is and how dark your sunglasses are...the dimmer the light and the darker the sunglasses the harder I find it to walk wearing sunglasses. I get the same type of problem at night. I think it's because we subconciously use our feet to feel our way, when we can't see as well...and if you can't see very well and you also can't feel with your feet, then it's harder for you to walk. I've found it much easier to walk in the dark since I've had to use crutches. So, basically, I think your shades reduce your proprioception, so you're not as aware of where your body is in space. B)

Although...having said that...Cat's joke was very good...and it probably made more sense! :blink:

Lizzie :)

PS I've been using the talc cure for ages.

So, basically, I think your shades reduce your proprioception, so you're not as awareof where your body is in space. B)

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ally,

Last time I heard my foot squeak - and after working out which one it was - my prosthetist also took it away and came back with it 'squeakless.'

He told me that it was a simple case of the sock (that covers the actual foot INSIDE the footshell) having moved and now rubbing (and thus squeaking) along the plastic of the footshell.

So, next time your foot squeaks, try pulling on that sock and see if it does the trick.

Ally,

Last time I heard my foot squeak - and after working out which one it was - my prosthetist also took it away and came back with it 'squeakless.'

He told me that it was a simple case of the sock (that covers the actual foot INSIDE the footshell) having moved and now rubbing (and thus squeaking) along the plastic of the footshell.

So, next time your foot squeaks, try pulling on that sock and see if it does the trick.

Yep, I have experienced this also Afet.

Ally, as regards to the talc, I was told this also and have tried it myself and it does sometimes work, however beware, some prosthetists discourage from doing this.

Ann

Ally,

I have no sock inside my foot shell. Do you think it's because I have a very basic (equals 'cheap') foot?

I have no sock inside my foot shell. Do you think it's because I have a very basic (equals 'cheap') foot?

I have no idea, though that does sounds like a possible explanation for it. I didn't know that more basic feet came without the sock :rolleyes:

Have you asked Marco?

To be honest, nope, I haven't. Didn't even know that the foot came with a built in sock inside the shell.

Eish - I have a LOT to learn.....

:rolleyes:

I'm intrigued now, all I can see on my foot is the shape of the foot from the outside with a wooden bit showing on the top and the leg bolted to the wood. Never knew anything about any shells or socks... :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued now, all I can see on my foot is the shape of the foot from the outside with a wooden bit showing on the top and the leg bolted to the wood. Never knew anything about any shells or socks... :rolleyes:

Kev,

The "shape of the foot" that you describe above is called a 'foot shell.' It's basically the outer cover that is designed to look like a real foot.

Depending on what foot you have, and going by what Ally says, there's a chance that your foot could be without an inner foot shell cover too.

I really am not sure whether all feet have these sock covers. I can categorically say though that both the Runway and Renegade (from Freedom Innovations) and the Elite (from Endolite) do. I have never seen my first feet uncovered (MultiFlex from Endolite) so can't say for sure.

I aren't sure what foot I've got but am guessing it's Otto Bock since the rest of my leg seems to be Otto Bock bits. Looking on their website my foot looks similar to the most basic one shown so I'm guessing it could be that one. Thanks for the explanations Afet!

My foot is solid......squeaking is not a good thing :P

Ally I can't walk and wear sunglasses (on my face) either-weird isn't it! I feel like it screws with my concentration. And the C-leg is suppose to mean that you don't need to concentrate as much but can't do it with this knee either! :angry:

My foot squeaks with certain footwear and not with others-Go Figure that one :blink:

Hi all

I have been having similar problems with my leg since i broke the ankle jiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However no-one seems to be able to fix it. I work in a school and one of the 'naughty' kids sat outside the head teachers office wanted to know!

'was I wearing paper knickers like his nan'!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what I thought it sounded like now I am not so sure.

Every one assures me it sounds like the old seat belt advert you know CLUNK CLICK every trip.

It is funny but I think its now giving me a headache!

Rachel

I have been having similar problems with my leg since i broke the ankle jiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However no-one seems to be able to fix it. I work in a school and one of the 'naughty' kids sat outside the head teachers office wanted to know!

'was I wearing paper knickers like his nan'!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what I thought it sounded like now I am not so sure.

Every one assures me it sounds like the old seat belt advert you know CLUNK CLICK every trip.

It is funny but I think its now giving me a headache!

I'm sorry, Rachel, but aren't kids sometimes just the best?! :lol: :D :lol:

Ahh...bless his cotton socks! :lol:

Lizzie :)

Ally, I hate to be a smart a*^! but the only time I hear a sqeak is when I ...................

........with my foot on! I don't know what you're doing but I'll bet my way is alot more fun! :o :o :blink::ph34r: :D :D

Stumped!

Ally, I hate to be a smart a*^! but the only time I hear a sqeak is when I ...................

........with my foot on!

... Step on a mouse??? :blink:

:lol: :lol: :P

........with my foot on!

... Step on a mouse??? :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :P

Afet'.

Yeah, thats it. ...Step on a mouse! ....Yeah, that must be it! :blink::ph34r:

Ally I can't walk and wear sunglasses (on my face) either-weird isn't it! I feel like it screws with my concentration. And the C-leg is suppose to mean that you don't need to concentrate as much but can't do it with this knee either! :blink:

My foot squeaks with certain footwear and not with others-Go Figure that one :ph34r:

Hey Mel, I get that too and have never been able to work out a link between types, materials etc.

I have found that most of my squeaks develop after I have had a new plastic cosmesis fitted. It seems the stretch over the top of the socket can often be a cause as when it begins to loosen (they never glue them properly do they?) the squeak gradually improves.