Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kaylasmom

I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm the mother of a lovely 18 year-old daughter. She is an amputee, bl/bk. She lost her leg in a lawn mower accident when she was two years old. I was operating the riding mower and she thought I was finished; she managed to get down from the porch where she was staying while I mowed and ran toward me and slipped on gravel and went right under the mower. Her leg flashed through the air and at that point in time, I felt like our lives were over!

The good news is that they were not! Kayla has grown into an inspiring young woman. I consider myself very blessed to be her Mom. Growing up she managed to excel in many different sports. She's now in her first year of college. I am happy to share that she has chosen a very special profession to go into. She's going to be a Certified Prosethist!!! Isn't that wonderful? She went to visit her prosethist just this morning and he has already offered her a summer job for summer 2005! He wants her to have as many of her academics out of the way as possible and then he wants to mentor her before she enters the master's program. I am very pleased that my daughter has taken what could have been a very negative thing in her life and turned it into something positive. :D

I'm thankful I could share that with you all. Now I have questions that I hope someone out there might be able to help me with. I am a single Mother and education costs are a struggle. Kayla does qualify for Voc. Rehab. and they are going to pay 65% of her tuition, but that leaves me responsible for the remainder and also housing, books, etc.

Does anyone know of any places I could contact to check on scholarships or grants? I would think there should be money out there for amputees who are going into the field of their disability. I've researched some on the Interent but have not yet found anything.

Any information, resources, ideas, or suggestions will very much be appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read about Kayla!

God Bless,

kaylasmom

Kaylasmom,

Wow!! That is so awesome she has chosen to become a Prosthetist and help others in her situation. You must have been a pretty good roll model when she was growing up and I'm sure she is who she is today because of you!! I know I owe a lot to my parents and siblings for who I am today because they never let me feel any different even though I had no foot. I really enjoyed reading about Kayla and wish her the best in her college career and hope she becomes the best Prosthetist in her area!

As for finding someone to help with finacial aid have you tried contacting the Amputee Coalition of America? Their web site is www.amputee-coalition.org maybe they can give you some kind of direction I think that is what they are there for to help amputees.

Welcome to the group and please let us know how Kayla is doing.

Brenda

Hi Kaylasmom, :lol:

Thats good news , that Kayla will be able to help others, My name is Vicki Williams , my daughter Niki (20yrs )is also an amputee, due to a car accident in 2002, Its great that you have joined our group , we have a few mom's now , and its great to be able to talk with you online. Anytime you would like to talk about anything please do. I can totally understand where you are coming from. Take care

Vicki Williams Australia ;)