Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest bearlover

Which system do you prefer?

I'm another pin system... only thing I've known, and I like it very much! I DID have problems with it at the very beginning, as I was shrinking so VERY fast... my leg became very, very good at "spinning," and I became very, very good at reaching down and twisting it back into place! On sockets #2 and 3, this has not been a problem. Neither has "milking." I feel so very lucky when I hear of other folks' problems, as my own adjustment seems to have been quite easy and "natural." I've been told by a number of people "in the business" that my rather chunky legs are "ideal to become stumps" (gee... something's "ideal" about me... why did it have to be THAT?!?), and I guess there's something to that. Good support, good mobility, few "pain" issues, no trouble with skin reactions to my liner... I've been blessed in many ways.

Afet, I understand completely about feeling satisfaction when you hear that lovely lock-in sound! It's a confirmation that you've "done it all right" and you're ready to go for the day. I absolutely ADORE that sound!

And Marcia, I know someone else who wears both a pin system and a sleeve. I, personally, HATE sleeves -- don't even like having to wear one for a check fitting! -- but he's in a job where he's on his feet most of the day and, like you, he likes that "very secure" feeling.

I've had PTB, pin and harmony systems.

Loved the pin system as it was so easy to take off, when needing to add socks - I didn't use a sleeve as well.

As I had a large fluctuation in volume during the day the leg would get quite uncomfortable, which is why I went for the harmony system.

Although I find the sleeve to be a bit constricting, not allowing full flexion of the knee, I would not give up the harmony system for anything. I never have to make adjustments during the day and the leg is always secure and comfortable. I wear my leg for at least 17 hours a day minimum. Half the people at my work (the newer employees) aren't even aware that I am an amputee, same goes for most of the customers I deal with.

David

What UDDER name would there be?

O'Leary? :)

Sorry, but that comment was totally wasted on me, Marcus.

I thought all cows were called Daisy or Buttercup...:rolleyes:

Lizzie :)

What UDDER name would there be?

O'Leary? :)

Uh-oh... There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight. ;)

I thought all cows were called Daisy or Buttercup...:rolleyes:

No that's Marcus's udder girlfriends ... to be sure :P :P :P

O'Leary?

Damn Marcus...you're good! Nice Chicago reference. :D

Cows...O'Leary...Chicago...?

So, let us into the 'secret' then?

O'Leary?

You mean you haven't found a link yet Lizzie? :o :lol: :lol:

O'Leary?

You mean you haven't found a link yet Lizzie? :o :lol: :lol:

No...bless you, Muz...I thought I'd give you a chance to shine this time. ;)

Mrs. O'Leary's cow....ring a bell?

Hey Lizzie,

In 1871, there was a fire that pretty much burned down the city of Chicago. It allegedly was started by Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

According the legend, the Great Chicago Fire was started by a cow that belonged to an Irishwoman named Catherine O’Leary. She ran a neighborhood milk business from the barn behind her home and carelessly leaving a kerosene lantern in the barn after her evening milking, a cow kicked over it over and ignited the hay on the floor. Of course, no proof of this story has ever been offered, other than the testimony of a neighborhood liar, but the legend took hold in Chicago and was told around the world. Regardless of how the fire started though, on Sunday evening, October 8, 1871, Chicago became a city in flames.

Hey Lizzie,

In 1871, there was a fire that pretty much burned down the city of Chicago. It allegedly was started by Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

According the legend, the Great Chicago Fire was started by a cow that belonged to an Irishwoman named Catherine O’Leary. She ran a neighborhood milk business from the barn behind her home and carelessly leaving a kerosene lantern in the barn after her evening milking, a cow kicked over it over and ignited the hay on the floor. Of course, no proof of this story has ever been offered, other than the testimony of a neighborhood liar, but the legend took hold in Chicago and was told around the world. Regardless of how the fire started though, on Sunday evening, October 8, 1871, Chicago became a city in flames.

Oh, Wow! :o

I had no idea...I see now, that's what you were going on about!

Thanks for explaining that, Linda! :D

Muz is always shining :P

It's just the lamplight reflecting off the sweat honest :)

Muz is always shining :P

It's just the lamplight reflecting off the sweat honest :)

I won't ask what's making you sweat at this time of night :rolleyes:

Guest bearlover

I personally prefer a system with no suspension sleeve. They are very inconvient for me. I like having the freedon of bending my kenee. With no restrictions. And it is much more easier when I need to add a sock.! :)

When you mention a suspension sleeve is that a sort of rubbery cuff that fits over the top of your socket?

When you mention a suspension sleeve is that a sort of rubbery cuff that fits over the top of your socket?

Yep... that's the one.

It's worn half over your prosthesis, and you roll the over half over your thigh when wearing your prosthesis.

I have a pair of IceFlex Endurance sleeves, from Ossur, that I used to wear on my suction sockets, but now wear with my water activity legs. Here's a pic:

IceflexEndurance1.jpg

Afet, this may sound like a completely daft question but are they waterproof for your water activity legs, ie could you swim/dive in them or is it only splash resistant for showering and the like.

Afet, this may sound like a completely daft question but are they waterproof for your water activity legs, ie could you swim/dive in them or is it only splash resistant for showering and the like.

No, not daft at all, Rob.

My prosthetist tells me that they are totally non-corrodible.

He told me that the pylon shouldn't corrode but it is covered with foam, for added protection.

The feet on them are a pair of SACH feet, which, I am told, are basically wood. I don't particularly like walking in them, and wanted something better, but he told me that these are totally non-corrosive and he's unwilling to give me anything that may corrode and put me in danger, should they get damaged in the water and subsequently snap off :o

I haven't swam in them yet, nor am I particularly likely to dive in them, but I am told that they'd be ok to wear in the pool or the sea, though most amps prefer to take them off to swim. They'd definitely be ok if I wore them around those environments anyway.

And, as you know, they held up in the shower ;) :P

Afet,

Sorry but you know what I am like expressing myself on here. I meant the sleeve rather than the prosthesis.

I am going on holiday in August and dont have a swim leg like some of you posh people on here ;) so I intend to use a cosmesis cover that is waterproof. However, the one I have purchased is huge because it needs to be high enough to cover the whole set up (limb and sleeve). I was wondering whether it might be possible to use a smaller one but together with one of the sleeves you use.

Ohhh, I see what you mean (I did wonder if you meant the sleeves NOT the whole leg :rolleyes: )

Well, I don't think any water can get through them, but is more likely to get in the tiny gap between skin and sleeve.

Having said that, when I've rolled down the sleeve after using the legs in the shower, I noticed that my liners were still dry inside. So it appears that not much got through.

I would imagine that the newer the sleeve, the more chance that it will be tight enough to stop water getting in that way.

I wouldn't like to get it wrong though.

Perhaps Marcus can tell us what he thinks??

OVER HERE MARCUS!! :lol:

I am going for my prosthetic leg fitting on Tuesday (27.6.2006). I use to do a lot of swimming before i had my amputation, and i would very much like to continue doing so, but i am a little anxious about this. Has anyone had the same problem? or is it just me being a little paranoid.