Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest bearlover

Which system do you prefer?

Guest bearlover

I Wore that one, also tried a thin one that velcros. They have one calld "the Kiss" also. Jut for me personally I do no like them. I like to step in the socket and go. With no sleeve. And they are to hot. Some people like them and have no problems. Tha's great! It is just a personal choice. Thanks for the advice. :) ;)

I am going for my prosthetic leg fitting on Tuesday (27.6.2006). I use to do a lot of swimming before i had my amputation, and i would very much like to continue doing so, but i am a little anxious about this. Has anyone had the same problem? or is it just me being a little paranoid.

I swim 3 miles per week. This morning I swam a mile in 42 minutes. I walked into Bally's locker room took off my leg and put it in the locker with my clothes. I then put on my suit and crutched out to the pool and got in and swam a mile. I use a fin on my whole foot so my shoulders do not hurt. My AKA stump has little kick.

Last year on honeymoon I spent a lot of time at the swim up bar :D and my swim leg was submerged for hours. I used one or two socks and an Iceross Stabilo liner. The socks and outside of the liner obviously got soaked but the inside stayed relatively dry, certainly no pools of water at the bottom and I had no problems with the liner slipping off. I think if your liners a good fit then you'll have no problems.

Marcus, I'm not sure about using electricains tape as it's usually rubbish when it gets wet. Self amalgamating tape (the sort that your aerial maintenance man wraps around the outside plugs) would be better at staying on but it's pretty gross stuff to use.

Guest bearlover

Had anyone used a shower leg ? Just for the shower?? I had one made from a old socket. But decided it's to much hasslel. I still use the in shower chair. But i feel like I'm in a nursing home when I use it! :wacko:

Bear, I've been considering trying to have a shower leg made from my last socket, but your comment is making me wonder about that. Why was the shower leg a "hassle" for you? If you could do it differently, is there anything you'd change about it to make it better? What is it you prefer about your shower chair?

Anyone else have suggestions? I've been using a shower bench since before the amp (about three years now)... while I do okay with it, I DO miss standing up, and I'd REALLY to be able to stand when I'm showering while travelling! (I'm also still thinking about "covers," Jim!)

Thanks for any advice..........!

At home I use a shower chair and at the gym I stand on one leg to shower.

Oh, Freddy, to be young and have a sense of balance..............!

Oh, Freddy, to be young and have a sense of balance..............!

Thanks, but I will be 52 on July 6th.

Okay... you beat me on "age" by a year. But you beat me on "sense of balance" by, apparently, light-years! I can manage balancing solely on one leg for only VERY limited periods of time. (We're talking "seconds," here.) I don't blame my amp-status for it... I was a klutz of the highest order from first moment I stood up and took a step, thanks to a mild birth defect and a lifetime of ear infections.

For me, it's going to require two legs in the shower if I expect to stand... I'll just have to decide how to accomplish that!

Bear, I've been considering trying to have a shower leg made from my last socket, but your comment is making me wonder about that. Why was the shower leg a "hassle" for you? If you could do it differently, is there anything you'd change about it to make it better? What is it you prefer about your shower chair?

Anyone else have suggestions? I've been using a shower bench since before the amp (about three years now)... while I do okay with it, I DO miss standing up, and I'd REALLY to be able to stand when I'm showering while travelling! (I'm also still thinking about "covers," Jim!)

Thanks for any advice..........!

Cherylm

Here is what works for me. I am a retired general building contractor, (California), who specialized in bathroom and kitchen remodel, (mainly). In our 1920 farm house that I've been remodeling, (in Missouri), I built an addition to the house for a bathroom of my own. (and later remodeled my wife's).

I built the shower 4 foot wide, all tiled, and then installed grab bars solidly into the studs on all three sides. I then put vertical grab bars on the sides of the entrance. Next, I purposefully put the toilet stool right in front of the opening.

Now, when I shower, I sit on the lid to take off my leg, kneel on the lid and hold onto the vertical bars and step into the shower, transfrering my grip to the inside horizontal bars, (and close the curtain of course). With 4 foot, I have plenty of room for my stool, which I then kneel on.

Betweeen the stool and the grab bars, I feel more secure than most people with two legs do. (I also put grab bars in my wife's custom shower, and around her boxed in bathtub and on the wall). I believe in them whether they have no legs, one, or two.

When it comes time to wash my foot, I sit on the stool and raise my foot - which gives me a small idea of how a bilateral must feel - especially with no grab bars to balance with. It's like sitting on a precipice, to me.

To be honest, I designed my protector mainly for when I travelled away from home where they did not have stools or grab bars. Occasionally I use it at home when I'm in a hurry and don't want to remove my leg, but most of the time I just remove it and step right in.

If any one wants the design for a shower like this, I would be more than glad to share it with you - or just design your own, like I did.

Jim, that shower sounds LOVELY... and I have thought about kneeling on my bench! I'm an apartment-dweller, though, so there's only so much I can do in the way of remodeling.

I do like your description of how you placed your grab bars. That's one thing I think I should be able to convince Management to let me do, and your guidelines give me a pretty good idea of how I should propose it. And I agree completely that they should be "standard equipment" in every bathroom! Thanks!!

Guest bearlover

Jim, For me to put on a liner put the leg on and then have to take it off. Let it dry. Was just a bother for me. Also having to put on my everyday leg after that was a bother. But that is just me! I for now prefer the shower chair. It did feel good to stand and take a shower I must admit. Try it you may have a different feeling than I do. Ocassionally I will wear it. Maybe it is just lazyness on my part : :ph34r: But I would say you be the judge. It may work out for you!! :) Alos it was hard to wash the stump when I have the shower leg on!! ;) Thanks for asking!!

Jim, For me to put on a liner put the leg on and then have to take it off. Let it dry. Was just a bother for me.

I bet you don't wear underpants either as it's too much hassle washing the stains out <_<

Tec liner for me, custom built socket by my proths, I wear it for 16 hours a day! Agree with Freddie for the swimming, I never wear a leg to swim or Scuba dive, seems a lot of fuss. I shower on crutches and hop to the pool side, swimming is agreat way to excersise and become equal again, many amps here swim.

Diver down

PJ ;)

A few years ago, a neighbor lost his leg below the knee, to diabetes. He had his shower remodeled. They made a built in seat. Nothing enormous that interfered with an able bodied person using it. It totally matched within the design of the back wall. It also had an adjutable shower head that could slide higher or lower or removed to be a hand held. I wouldn't mind having that seat in my shower as an amputee or not. Just sitting there with the water hitting you sounds quite relaxing. :ph34r: Personally, I kneel. I have no problems with that & also don't get how you wash your limb if you're in a prosthetic shower leg. :blink:

To each his own. :)

Linda

To each his own. :)

Linda

That say's it all. This is why I make it a policy to "try" to never give advice. I can only relate my experiences and what works for me. I then throw it into the pot along with other's experiences so readers can pick and choose what fits them best.

This forum can also be described as: "A melting pot of ideas"

Hi all

not posted for a while,

found this thread interesting.I also use the iceross pin with the gelliner from alps,I love it,can just put it on and forget about it ,well almost ,it's that comfortable.I'm on my second liner as the first one got small splits in probably due to the sweating i was told.

by the way what do poeple use to wash their liner.?

received a new foot in april ,the endolite elite,its fantastic,has a spring in the heel and a split carbon fibre foot which allows me to walk over uneven terrain and it realy has given me a new lease of life.can wear it with shoes or trainers. all day more details here http://www.endolite.com/elite_foot/elite1.html

cheers for now

Hi Mike,

I wash my Alps liner with antibacterial soap every night. I also use an Alps sleeve. Talked to the Alps guy at the ACA Conf and asked him what to wash the sleeve with because it does get dirty on the outside. He said put it in the washing machine on gentle using Baby Dreft or something similar. When I got home, I washed liner and sleeve with Woolite and VOILA they were so clean and fresh! So I think I'll do that on occasion, not too often, so it doesn't like like I've been playing in the dirt :D

When my liner shows sweat marks on the fabric side, I just use the same soap as the inside and wash the outside also. I also use an antibacterial body soap to wash liners. I don't think I want to put a pin liner in the washer.

I took the pin out before I put it in the washer.... :P

When my liner shows sweat marks on the fabric side, I just use the same soap as the inside and wash the outside also. I also use an antibacterial body soap to wash liners. I don't think I want to put a pin liner in the washer.

Neal, the outside fabric of my first liner was really getting grungy. It never occurred to me to wash the whole thing (I'd just been concentrating on the inside), but just 4 days ago I did. I put it in the kitchen sink full of dishwashing liquid (I know, but this is not too harsh for me for some reason!) with very warm water. Let it soak and boy! It came out clean as new. Also it seemed to shrink it a little bit, which was needed.

Marilyn, the owner's manual that came with my liner actually recommends soaking it for "about 15 minutes" in the hottest tap water you can draw, in order to "shrink" it back to its original size. I find that I need to to that about once a month.

Dish detergent...? Oh my!

What kind of liner to you have, Cheryl?