Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sergio

flat for amputees

i have question for everyone here- my uncle is full time crutch user after he lost right leg above knee. he live alone in big flat - it's impossible that person on crutches be independent in that large apartment. he want to sell that big flat and buye new small - because he want to live alone and do all that house work himself. i'd like to hear experiences of other people here - how do you make your flat comfortable? what flat is the best for crutch user? i'm also amputee but below knee and theres' no difference for me- i wear my leg all day and only want safe floor in bathroom.

Hi Sergio

The ideal flat for a crutch user, would be one that was all on one level (i.e. no steps)...preferably on the ground floor. Furniture and floor surfaces would be the next consideration; you need easy access between pieces of furniture and the floor should have a non-slip surface.

I find carrying things very difficult when I use crutches and I have found things like this trolley helps me move things from place to place at home.

Has your uncle spoken to an occupational therapist? They would be able to assess your uncle and advise him on both his choice of flat and items that would help him around his home.

Lizzie :)

:o £71.00 for that!!!! :o That is $132.00 :o For a few bits of wood and four wheels. I am disgusted about how people can cash in on the unfortunate circumstances of others!

When I am on my crutches I find not being able to carry things is a big inconvenience. I have often thought of using a rucksack for getting things from the garage to the house.

:o £71.00 for that!!!! :o That is $132.00 :o For a few bits of wood and four wheels. I am disgusted about how people can cash in on the unfortunate circumstances of others!

When I am on my crutches I find not being able to carry things is a big inconvenience. I have often thought of using a rucksack for getting things from the garage to the house.

Well...perhaps I suppose I could have shopped around for the link, Paul. :P But, yes, it is a disgusting price for a wooden trolley on wheels, I agree! :angry:

I use a rucksack now, but not too long ago (and particularly when I had just come out of hospital), I couldn't use a rucksack, as the weight on my back would have played havoc with my balance...that's why I suggested a trolley. Not too long ago, you were to be able to get similar trolleys on loan from your local community OT dept - I'm not sure if that's still the case. :rolleyes:

Lizzie :)