Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
*NIKI LEA*

HI EVERYBODY!

:wub: Hi to everyone!

My name is Niki, im 20 and a BRK June 2002,

IM so keen to chat to anyone, especially if you are around my age.

:o Anyway my biggest problem is trying to get info on cosmetic covers. Also i am constantly told that there is really no such thing as a water proof leg?

I wont be told that! :blink: So if anyone has any info on the best type of water leg, it would be great to hear from you! :D I feel as though Australia is behind in the leg industry at the moment? :wub:

Also Heels on shoes are a big problem, are there any types of foot componantry that i am able to change the angle on myself? :angry:

:D :D In the end id really love to make a leg that can wear heels in the morning, go jogging at lunch time and maybe a swim in the afternoon, without even changing it. Am i geting a bit carried away? ha ha ;)

Anyone with outragous ideas like mine, i love to hear back.

Well im open to chat to anyone about absoulutly anything on legs, or helping out new amputees!Ask me anything...Everyone around me here does.

Love to hear from anyone, :wub: Luv NIKI :blink:

WELCOME NIKI LEA,

I NEW THAT YOU WOULD LOVE THE FORUM, YOU HAVE SUCH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND HAVE HAD SINCE YOUR ACCIDENT. YOU HAVE HAD AN IMPACT ON EVERYONE IN DIFFERENT WAYS. DOCTORS HAVE SAID YOU ARE A MIRACLE AND YOU ARE , I HAVE KNOW THAT SINCE THE DAY YOU WERE BORN, THAT YOU WERE NO ORDINARY CHILD. THAT ONE DAY YOU WOULD TAKE ON THE WORLD, GO FOR IT GIRL , THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

I KNOW YOU WILL HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM BECAUSE OF YOUR ABILITY TO BE HONEST AND OPEN.

LOVE YOU SO MUCH .( MUM)

VICKI WILLIAMS

Hi Nikki,

I am a new member but a BK for 8 years now. I am 24 years old and had just found a prosthetist that suits my needs. There are prosthetic devices out there that are water tolerant, check out http://www.endolite.com. They have a lot of pics and info on a variety of prosthetics including high heel adjustment. Blatchford is the production company, they also have 'aqua limbs' available as well. Some valuable advice I just learned myself is to be your own advocate. It seems like a lot, but do your research and bring it to the prosthetist. Best of Luck. :) Iris

Welcome to the forum Iris!!!! :) We are glad to have you join us. :rolleyes:

You want to know something funny? This is the honest truth. This evening I am in the process of doing some searching on the internet for beach legs. I promised Niki I would look into it. I had just found the Endolite Web site and was getting ready to post a reply to Niki, and you had already beat me to it. Are we all connected or what?

You are so right about having to be your own advocate, and doing your own research and bringing it to your prosthetist. You really hit home with that. Being an educated consumer is a very helpful.

We have ourselves a real nice group of people here on the forum, looking to make the most out of what we have, and what else may be available to share. Thank you for your contribution to the forum and being a part of it.

Best Regards:

Hi Johnny, Hi Iris, and HI NIKI!

had checked out the endolite website, and saw the aqualimb. Are you all referring to that?? that seems like a leg that you can bring to showers, but not so sure for swimming though. Found from the Dorset Orthopaedic website that they have limbs cater for water activities, maybe Niki, you may like to take a look at that too? Was thinking of getting one from Dorset..they really make very nice legs... hehehe.

And Johnny V, you are right. This group here indeed consists of a group of real nice people around, helping each other to go through the toughest period, encouraging each other along the way. Really need to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone of you here.

We may have lost a minor part of our physical body, but let it not deter us from giving the best shot in life!

Life is all about making choices. You choose what you wanna make of it.

Best wishes,

Agnes

Thank you for your post Agnes. Always great to hear from you in Singapore. Hope all is well with you.

The Aqualimb is the beach foot that I found on the web this evening. Not that cosmeticly appealing, is it. If there is anything else out there, please let us know!

Dorset Orthopaedic is going to be at the ACA Convention in Boston, MA this July. So I plan on seeing them there than, in addition to getting a great deal more out of attending. I would highly recommend to anyone to attend this event. Heather Mills-McCartney is also scheduled to be there, so I am real excited about that. Hope to hear from you again soon.

All my best regards your way: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: hi iris,

nice to hear from you! :P

thanks for your info! :D

Have you personaly ever walked in heels? Just want to know if i should be ready for a stack (fall)...Ha Ha Ha... ;)

Thanks for your help.. and keep in touch...

thanks to this site, i have quickly been able to gather enough info to keep me busy for a wile...

Luv NIKI

:D HEY AGNES, ;)

THANKS FOR YOU HELPFUL INFO!! :P

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I HATE THE MOST IS SHOWERING WITH ONE LEG!! :rolleyes: IT WOULD BE GREAT TO FIND SOMETHING THAT I COULD OVERCOME THAT PROBLEM! :D

IM SURE YOUR INFO CAN HELP ME

THANKS AGAIN, AND KEEP ME UP TO DATE WITH YOUR PROGRESS!!

KEEP KEEN!! :D

Hi all,

My name is Brenda and I have been an amputee for almost 36 years wow I'm getting old. Anyway I have been reading about shower/swim legs and thought I would add my two cents. When I was younger as long as the leg still fit I would use the old one that I was replacing for use in the shower/beach/pool etc. Well I still use the one I replace for pool and beach use I no longer use it in the shower. The best thing my husband ever did for me was buying me a shower stool. The only time I use my leg in the shower now is if I'm on vacation because a bringing a shower stool is not always easy. I never thought I would give up using a leg in the shower but having the water pelting on the leg is soooo good plus it is so much better than just a wash cloth....

Yes I do love this site.

Brenda RBK

Hi Nikki,

Yes I have walked in heels, I have actually been wearing this one heel height adjustment prosthesis for 5 years. I am now in the process of getting a new one. I absolutely love it because I am always wearing boots or dress shoes for work. Plus, for me, it helps me feel more feminine. :rolleyes: ! The heels and strappy sandals. I never liked showing my feet off until I lost one, Go figure! :)

Iris

:D HEY IRIS...

:D A WEEK BEFORE MY ACCIENT, I PUT A PAIR OF HEELED BOOTS ON LAY-BUY.. ;)

I STILL PURCHACED THEM.. AND EVER SINCE I JUST WANT TO WEAR THEM! :o

LIFE CAN BE SOOOOOO IRONIC AT TIMES!

THANKS... CANT WAIT TO TRY HEELS!

LUV NIKI :rolleyes:

HI Niki :)

Just happen to come across a new product out in the Flex-Foot range, called

Elation™. :) It happens to offer what we are looking for, and yes, i.e. heel hight adjustability!:)

Thinking of getting it for my 1st protheses, but my prosthetist and doctor had advised me not to get such a good and expensive one for my very 1st leg, reason being I would not know the difference between a good and a poor quality leg since this is my 1st trial. :(

What do you all advise??I was thinking I should get a good one that caters to the activities and my life-style, ignoring the doctor's advise, but I am not sure if this is a wise move. :unsure:

How was your 1st prostheses like?? Anything I should look out for??:wub:

Looking forward to all suggestions and advices.:)

Thanks in advance!:p

Luv,

Agnes :rolleyes:

:D hey agnes,

Yes, it is a wise decision not to spend your money on such an expensive peice of componantry first.

That has been my biggest hold up... But it is wise.

You must get the feel of standard componantry, so you know what you will need when it comes to spending big dollars.

Also your stump has to shrink enough to a point where it should stay around the same size.

I am after the silicone sock with sqew on the end,that locks you into your prostheises,(not sure what it is called).

But the doc wont let me spend my money on such a dear peice that my stump will get to small for (my stump is still shrinking after 10 months)

I am on my 2nd leg, with 3rd socket fitting,So for my next leg i will probably be able to spend my money on what i want... :lol:

It is a good idea to wait, so YOU can understand how different componantry works, which will lead you to getting youself the perfect prostheises, that suits YOU the best.. :D

good luck :rolleyes:

Dear Agnes, :)

It is really great that you are doing a marketing survey of your prosthetic options already. Please continue to share them with all of us here on the forum. It will benefit people like yourself that are interested in learning what is out there, and what it does.

I had no say on the choice of my first foot and componentry, because I was totally clueless. Maybe I was better off in some ways, and yet worse off in others. My prosthetist at the time, (who is an amputee himself,) started working with me right in the hospital, 4 days after I had my surgery. I had been introduced to him prior to my surgery, as to assist me with making my decision to go forward with my amputation. My first prosthetic was called a post-op prosthetic, also referred to as an IPOP. The foot had no bells and whistles, and was not meant to bare weight on. It was only meant for the purpose of appearance, and to assist in the limb swell down process. I was told that they should have put in on right after surgery, in order to get an earlier and faster result. The IPOP was eventually supposed to fall off due to limb shrinkage, but I started having serious phantom pain, and had to work myself out of it and pull it off, a little under a week.

I had to wait a month after surgery for my sutures to come out, before I could pick up what is referred to as a training leg. After I had picked up my leg, it was a surprise to me when later I found out that this was not the typical training leg. For my first foot, and still the foot that I am walking on today, I received a Ceterus Flex Foot made by OSSUR. The same company that makes the Elation. This definitely was not a starter foot. It turned out to be a cutting edge new technology, top of the line and state of the art sport foot. When I eventually realized what I had, I asked the prosthetist why. He said that I was ready for it because of my age (47 years old at the time) and potential activity level, and that I didn't need to wait for a good foot. He said the sooner that I learned how to walk on a good foot, the more advantageous it would be for me to enjoy the benefits. Now I am not going to tell you that it is easier learning how to walk on a more sophisticated foot, because it isn't. It made it more challenging for me walking and the prosthetist with adjustments and having to put up with working with me. But we had to be very patient, and it paid off. I was very fortunate that I was walking with a very good gait on my high end training sport foot, 3 months after my surgery. It all depends on the person and their medical condition. I am convinced that my prosthetist did right by me and made a good call. But again I want to point out that it is different for everybody.

I may not have known the differences between a good and a poor quality leg when I first got my Ceterus foot, but I would know now, if I had to go the reverse.

I am on my third socket and would like to go from limb gel socks and exterior suspension sleeve, to a limb gel liner with a locking pin suspension. That is what I am doing my market survey on right now. There is so much out there, that it makes your head spin trying to understand it all. And not all opinions are the same. So it pays to be an educated consumer, and find out as much as you can about something that is going to play an important part of your life; how you walk comfortably. Your prosthetist and doctor will have to do a better sell job than that, in order to convince you, knowing what you know now. An adjustable heel sounds like something that I wish I had sometimes, because of the different heel heights of shoes versus sneakers. The Ceterus has no heel height adjustment.

I hope this will help you and others on the forum Agnes. Let us know if you need anything else. :D

All my best your way with regards :rolleyes: