Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lisa

High Heels!!!

This may sound stupid, but i've been told i won't wear heals again. I just wondered if there was anyone out there who successfully has worn heels, especially dancing in them. Ive already got my eyes on a beautiful pair of high heels covered in diamonte. I am addicted to shoes!

Hi Lisa,

Oh yes yes yes you will wear high heels again. And the feeling when you get that first pair on is fantastic.

I have two legs at the moment - the first with a non adjustable ankle but with a foot that is very good for doing exercise and walking long distances. And the second with an adjustable ankle that lets me wear heels up to three inches high, or indeed completely flat shoes, as I wish. This is my every day leg (or will be when I get a socket on it that fits me). And it is great.

People also told me that it would be very difficult to walk in high heels when I got them, but I haven't found that at all. If anything, I find it easier to walk in high heels now than I did when I had an ankle as there is more support there for your ankle. Apparently you take the strain at your knee instead of your ankle now but that hasn't bothered me at all.

Initially though when you get your first leg you will have to cope with wearing flat shoes. They want to be happy that you can walk well in flat shoes before they are willing to give you a leg with an ajustable ankle. I had to wait about six months after getting my first leg before I was allowed a high heeled leg, but it was well worth it.

x x

Thanks for that Fiona! My goal is to wear and dance in an lovely pair of gina shoes that i have seen.

Lisa

Fiona, what kind of foot do you have that lets you wear 3 inch heels?

I have one of ottobocks ajustable feet that let me wear heels. I'm a tad bit wabbly on things like stelettos (Is that spelt right) because I'm an AK and generally wabbly amputation or not.

who ever said you wouldn't wear heels has been very missinformed.

This may sound stupid, but i've been told i won't wear heals again. I just wondered if there was anyone out there who successfully has worn heels, especially dancing in them. Ive already got my eyes on a beautiful pair of high heels covered in diamonte. I am addicted to shoes!

Hi Lisa

Not sure who told you that you won't wear heels again. I am a bilateral b/k and have always worn heels, and when I was a bit younger (!!!) did go dancing in them.

Your foot will have to be adjusted to height of heel you want to wear, and if you don't want to wear that height heel all day everyday (and don't have self adjusting feet) this could be something to bear in mind. Although if you have a spare limb, perhaps you could have that one set up to accommodate the heel. When you are thinking of a particular height heel you might want to check with your prosthetist first to check what heel height your particular feet can be adjusted to, not all systems accommodate high heels, but once again this depends on the height.

The other thing to bear in mind is the thickness of the heel. You may find stilleto heels quite hard to balance on, however, have seen photo's of Heather who sometimes is pictured in these. I myself go for chunkier heels, I find these much easier for balance (altho. these days go for comfort rather than fashion).

If I were you I would have a word with your prosthetist, give him some idea of what you want to wear and see what your current feet will accommodate, or what else they could give you.

It is a bit of a performance, I know, but you get used to it.

Ann

Mmmm, I agree with everyone else here. Who on earth told you that you couldn't wear heels again??

Hope it wasn't your CP who told you that.... :rolleyes:

Hi Marcia,

I have an elation foot. I am not completely sure exactly how high the heel goes on it as I have never measured it but have never really had any problems with the height of any shoe I put on the foot. Realistically I could never wear really really high heels before and so I am not going to start trying now!

The reason I mentioned the three inch thing is because my prosthetist told me that was how high the foot could go when I first got the foot, so don't quote me on the height!

x x

According to the Ossur website, the Elation foot can be adjusted to accommodate upto a 2 inch heel height:

"The heel height can be adjusted anywhere between 0 and 5cm (2") simply by pushing a button. The contour of the keel blade is designed to accommodate regular changes within this range."

Source: http://ossur.com/template110.asp?pageid=263

I know, Marcia... my hopes were raised too! :rolleyes:

... my hopes were raised too! :rolleyes:

... unlike my heels :lol:

(thought I'd get that in before Muz did :P )

Just so long as it wasn't your seal in liner :o

Mmmm, I agree with everyone else here. Who on earth told you that you couldn't wear heels again??

Hope it wasn't your CP who told you that.... :rolleyes:

Ally, my CPO is an ole stick in the mud! He yells at me (rather good naturedly) anytime I have different shoes on! Here in the states, we get one foot only (unless we buy another one ourselves), and he is adamant that I wear the exact right heel height that he's set up for me. :rolleyes: However, I basically ignore him and wear whatever feels good and that I can walk in... but for me, no heels. Crocs, gymshoes, barefoot -- yes! Much to his dismay! (PS I wore my crocs for the first time Saturday. I THOUGHT they were too big, but they fit the perameter set out in the instructions... and they are a dream!! Stay on and oh so light! I'm gonna finance more soon!)

Ally, my CPO is an ole stick in the mud! He yells at me (rather good naturedly) anytime I have different shoes on! Here in the states, we get one foot only (unless we buy another one ourselves), and he is adamant that I wear the exact right heel height that he's set up for me. :rolleyes: However, I basically ignore him and wear whatever feels good and that I can walk in... but for me, no heels. Crocs, gymshoes, barefoot -- yes! Much to his dismay! (PS I wore my crocs for the first time Saturday. I THOUGHT they were too big, but they fit the perameter set out in the instructions... and they are a dream!! Stay on and oh so light! I'm gonna finance more soon!)

Hehehe, I can well imagine Marilyn. You know, you can really do your good leg and your hips in if you wear the wrong heel height. However......there is a way that you can change the height yourself. But if your CP is an "ole stick in the mud" he's not likely to show you.

You should take a stroll through e-bay and see if you can pick up a second hand heel adjustable foot. Should be pretty damn cheap. Ah, you see now, then again, your "ole stick in the mud" CP will probably refuse to fit it. Sigh - there's always a back door though ;)

And aren't the crocs divine?????????????? You know, there was a very very very very special person from this forum who sent me a pair. A blue pair. It was such a special gift for me. I am very blessed. So now I literally ONLY wear crocs!

So, special person, thank you thank you thank you. And Marilyn, come now, you KNOW you can wheedle how to change a heel height out of your CP with your womanly whiles....you only need a t-bar spanner thingey.... :P

Ally, yer killing me! My leggist has been at this for over 30 years! He's told me stories of another female amp who actually comes in wearing high heels, much to his intense freaking out ness!! He suffers us well and he laughs (if we make him do so!).

I am working on a good relationship with this guy... I think he already knows what he's up against. There was MUD on my foot shell from working in the flower beds barefoot!! He sighs. I laugh. It'll work!

PS. Ahhh Ally, you do have a very special friend! Isn't that so cool???!!!

I'm presently wearing an Elation foot and 2 inches is max. That's why I wanted to know what kind Fiona was wearing. I don't really care anymore about wearing really high heels but it is nice to be able to adjust to different shoes for every day.

In the ad for the Heather Mills McCartney cosmesis it says the foot that comes with it is an Otto Bock foot that is adjustable up to 3 1/2 inches. I wonder if that's what she wears because I've seen her in shoes that are definitely more than 2 inches high.

And Marilyn, come now, you KNOW you can wheedle how to change a heel height out of your CP with your womanly whiles....you only need a t-bar spanner thingey.... :P

And Ally's step by step instructions - with PICTURES! :D

Guest bearlover

Even if one could not wear them it's not the end of the world! ther are more things to be concerned about then the type of shoes a amputee wears! :P

Bearlover,

I beg to differ. I am a woman and want to feel like one. That means wearing high heels. Full stop. Wearing my first pair of high heels after my amputation was one of the biggest and best things about my rehab for me. It was the point when I realised that it would be possible for me to get back to my old self, and look like my old self, even after losing a leg.

And I AM now back to my old self, largely helped by the high heels.

Fiona

I have to agree with Fiona on this. I always liked to dress glamourously when I went out and I have never wore flats or small heels for a night out. This will also tell me I'm back to my old self if I'm able to wear a beautiful pair of heels.

Lisa

Guest bearlover

I HAVE HAD A SERIOUS BIRTH DEFECT ALL MY LIFE. AND COULD NEVER WEAR THEN WITH LEG BRACES. AND NOW A PROSTHETIC I STILL CAN'T. THERE IS MORE TO BEING A WOMAN THAN WEARING HIGH HEELS!! :) :) :)

Bearlover,

Of course there is more to being a woman than wearing high heels. I am not disputing that. I was just trying to say that for me, wearing high heels was something that I loved to do and it really made me feel back to myself when I could wear them again.

I didn't know that you suffered a birth defect and haven't ever been able to wear high heels. I am sorry about that. But I don't think that is any reason to belittle other peoples' desire to wear them.

Something that I won't ever do again is wear a short skirt and I am only 29 and had good legs before I lost my right one. But I certainly wouldn't dream of ever belittling my able bodied friends when they turn up to meet me in their skirts and tell me that they are worried about how their legs look etc, no matter how much it grates on me that I can't do the same.

What I am trying to say is that I feel you are being quite judgmental of the fact that I, and others here want to have the ability to wear high heels with our prostheses and I think that you should stop being so.

Fiona

Bearlover,

I think the difficulty here is that you were born with a serious birth defect affecting your leg/s, so probably never had the experience of putting on a little skirt and some killer heels and going out for the night.

You have said in another thread that because of your brace, you hate shoe shopping and being unable to wear cute shoes.

The difference with Fiona, and any female amputee that wasn't born with a serious defect with their leg/s, is that they have experience of wearing heels and the enjoyment one can get from wearing them.

Losing your leg/s when you're an adult, after having had all these 'high heel experiences' and knowing you can't really have them in the same way anymore is very difficult to come to terms with.

Speaking for myself here, after losing both my legs at age 24, nothing can EVER make me feel as femine as wearing high heels did. I miss everything about them... the feeling of my feet in them, the change in shape that they gave my legs, etc, etc.. What's hard to swallow is the fact that I will NEVER experience those feelings again.

Since I lost my legs, I have worn mainly sneakers/trainers with a little bit of a heel, but nothing like I used to. I would give anything to be able to put on one of my high heels again :(

Whilst I agree that there's more to being a woman than wearing high heels, I can't help feeling, bearlover, that you can't fully appreciate what it feels like for someone that lost their leg/s in later life. Our experiences are TOTALLY different and cannot be compared.

Your viewpoint on this is relative ONLY TO YOU based on the experiences you have had in life.

We have to respect that we each have our own opinions on this matter and that no one person is right or wrong, because we form opinions based on our individual experiences.

... But I certainly wouldn't dream of ever belittling my able bodied friends when they turn up to meet me in their skirts and tell me that they are worried about how their legs look etc, no matter how much it grates on me that I can't do the same.

Fiona, one of the very first times I felt REALLY bad (maybe sorry for myself?) was after the amp the home care people sent this lovely young woman to help me learn to do things at home. She was wearing shorts and really funky sandals -- she had beautiful legs. I was really depressed looking at this perfect specimen while I had just had an amp.... Just remembering....