Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lisa

High Heels!!!

Guest bearlover

I DIN'T MEAN ANYTHING BY MY POST. I JUST CAN'T WEAR ALL THE CUTE STYLES. BUT THIS HAS BEEN A LIFE TIME PROBLEM. SHOE SHOPPING INDUCES A MIGRAINE FOR ME. :(

Im terrible i've just bought two more pairs of shoes today. It's weird because obviously I can only wear one until I get my new limb. Luckily I have a very understanding partner! They are diamonte but they are flat.

Lisa

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh how I wish I could wear high heels. I so agree with everyone. I dont feel 'sexy' anymore. But everytime I try my leg just plays up. Maybe I can get another one which will high heel wearable.

Rachel

Guest bearlover

Your very very lucky to have had 2 good legs all your life. Iam not shallow to have to worie about the shoes i can wera. Ima lucky just to be walking!! :)

Your very very lucky to have had 2 good legs all your life. Iam not shallow to have to worie about the shoes i can wera. Ima lucky just to be walking!! :)
I know what you mean about wearing a dress or skirt. I Love feeling 100% woman. And the pipe dose not help! :angry:

Now someone who was born with no legs at all might think that a bit shallow as well. We all have something we feel good about, call it shallow, pride, vanity whatever, that we place more importance on than we should. It's called being human and makes us the individuals we are.

Besides, I remember you were rather proud of your latest pair of girly pink sneakers ... and rightly so.

Im terrible i've just bought two more pairs of shoes today. It's weird because obviously I can only wear one until I get my new limb. Luckily I have a very understanding partner! They are diamonte but they are flat.

Lisa

Lisa, Is diamonte -- sparkly bling??

I'm an old hippy, but I've been salivating over the shoes that are out right now! I've been waiting since freaking 1974 for these shoes to come back, and durn it if they didn't -- and I can't wear them!

I have memories of dancing with my hubby in wooden slides (high heels, you know, like Barbie always had!) Ah, those were the days!

Now someone who was born with no legs at all might think that a bit shallow as well. We all have something we feel good about, call it shallow, pride, vanity whatever, that we place more importance on than we should. It's called being human and makes us the individuals we are.

Besides, I remember you were rather proud of your latest pair of girly pink sneakers ... and rightly so.

Muz, I'm impressed. You are a multi-faceted, multi-taskin' kinda guy!

I'm with you, Marilyn. All the shoes out now are sooooo cute. I got a couple of clear bra straps and have been trying to put one on an old pair of flip flops like Pixy told us....I can't get the damn thing to work :angry: I got frustrated and quit. I'll get back to it one day and maybe it'll click.

Meantime, I'm so jealous of everybody in cute shoes :(

You know, I think it's the little things we missed the most. I'm happy and thankful to be walking and doing most things I used to but every now and then one of those little things get to me. Like high heels, we all know it's not essential to life to wear them but, oh, wouldn't it be nice ;)

Off the ACA Conference tomorrow. I wish EVERYONE was going.

That should be off TO the ACA Conference tomorrow. Some day I'll learn to proof read.....

Guest bearlover

:P "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind!" Dr. Suess :) :D

I'm with you, Marilyn. All the shoes out now are sooooo cute. I got a couple of clear bra straps and have been trying to put one on an old pair of flip flops like Pixy told us....I can't get the damn thing to work :angry: I got frustrated and quit. I'll get back to it one day and maybe it'll click.

Meantime, I'm so jealous of everybody in cute shoes :(

You know, I think it's the little things we missed the most. I'm happy and thankful to be walking and doing most things I used to but every now and then one of those little things get to me. Like high heels, we all know it's not essential to life to wear them but, oh, wouldn't it be nice ;)

Off the ACA Conference tomorrow. I wish EVERYONE was going.

Awww, dang, I'm just a tad jealous! (about the conference, you know!)

The little things, YES!! Showering standing up; getting up in the middle of the night to piddle; and leaping up onto a porch or curb... *sigh*

Lisa, Marilyn etc,

I know totally where you are coming from with the shoe buying thing Lisa - in my pre leg period I got totally obsessed with shoes. I would go into every shoe shop I could find and just scour the shelves looking for ones that I might be able to wear once I got my leg, and I ended up buying loads of pairs and just wearing the one. It is funny isn't it, that the one thing you can't do anymore becomes the one thing you want to be able to do.

Yes Marilyn, diamante is very sparkly and bling.

I recently bought some ballet shoes that are pretty sparkly and have been living in them in this hot weather (well, the hot weather we had until the heavens opened yesterday). I am going to buy more of them before I go on holiday on Sunday as I think they do a pretty good job of solving the flip flop problem - they are still fairly summery but they actuallly stay on the fake foot, which is always a bonus!

F x

Lisa, Marilyn etc,

I know totally where you are coming from with the shoe buying thing Lisa - in my pre leg period I got totally obsessed with shoes. I would go into every shoe shop I could find and just scour the shelves looking for ones that I might be able to wear once I got my leg, and I ended up buying loads of pairs and just wearing the one. It is funny isn't it, that the one thing you can't do anymore becomes the one thing you want to be able to do.

I recently bought some ballet shoes that are pretty sparkly and have been living in them in this hot weather (well, the hot weather we had until the heavens opened yesterday). I am going to buy more of them before I go on holiday on Sunday as I think they do a pretty good job of solving the flip flop problem - they are still fairly summery but they actuallly stay on the fake foot, which is always a bonus!

F x

Speaking of shoes staying on fake feet.........

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, so here goes....

I've been wondering if I can comfortably wear flats similar in type to this:

http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=FLEXAM

without worrying about them falling off. If so, how do you keep them on? Did I remember someone talking about velcro???

Susan

PS I never was a heel wearer, but wouldn't mind wearing something somewhat feminine. I did try on sandals last week, but just couldn't deal with looking at the fake foot yet......... :( :rolleyes:

I wear shoes like that often and have never had any trouble with them falling off but maybe thats just my foot??

I also wear heels and sandals but have never tried wearing mule type shoes even with clear bra straps as I would be paraniod that they weren't going to stay on.

Sue

I've mentioned velcro before. I saw a woman using it to keep a mule type sandal on her prosthetic foot at a conference 4 years ago. It made sense too. As long as you put the soft side of the velcro on your foot and not the loop side. That way, if you walk on carpet, you don't stick to it. You can buy velcro with a sticky side to it. They have it in dots, squares, etc. If you find that it doesn't "stick" quite like you would like it to, you could always use a spot of glue on it.

I've worn shoes similar to this and not had a problem with them, in 3 different feet. All you can do is try.....

Let us know what the outcome is.

Lisa, Marilyn etc,

F x

Fiona, what foot are you wearing? I haven't been able to wear flip-flops, slides, etc. ~~ just can't get them to stay on & like Higgy said about the velcro~~I am afraid to go out in public with it~~WHAT IF IT FAILS??

I really do miss being able to shop for shoes.. :(

I have a Freedom heel adjustable foot with a split toe which allows me to wear flip-flops (here they're called slip-slops), but I always look for a pair that has a band that goes around the back of the foot.

It's a bit odd when you start wearing sandals in the beginning because yes, the fake foot does look odd. But mostly I've seen that people don't really notice it. And I'm at a point (luckily) where I don't really care that my fake bits look fake.

:)

Ann, I've been thinking about your post... especially your final line:

I am afraid to go out in public with it~~WHAT IF IT FAILS??

Well... if it fails, you'll probably step out of your shoe. And yes, you might trip, stumble, or even fall. And it would be a pain to have to put the shoe back on and then hobble off to someplace where you could sit down and make sure it was properly secured. And, finally, it would be embarassing.

Just exactly as it might play out if you had two "normal" legs.

Yes, I know that some of the specifics are different for us: putting the shoe back on could be tougher... getting up from a fall would be harder... seeing us in an uncomfortable situation might draw enough attention for passers-by to focus on the fact that you have a prosthetic leg.

However, ALL of those are "IFs".... and restricting our lives for fear of an "IF" can be soooo demoralizing. Yes, there are things I'm still learning to do, and the "IFs" pop up to worry me... but so far, I've not rejected anything out-of-hand: I've TRIED it... and tried it again... and kept at it until I either figure out a way to do it or decide that it's not worth the hassle.

You sound like that's normally the way you operate, too... basically, I'm using your "fear of velcro" as an example of how some silly little things can get the best of all of us, if we let them. Please don't let an "IF" keep you from something you enjoy!

I don't shoe shop as much, any more... but I've not given it up. Instead, I've found a couple of old-fashioned, full-service, independent shoe stores... and I've developed a relationship with the staffs... and we've talked about the restrictions my arty leg puts on my footwear. And when I come in, I SHOP! and they help me with suggestions as to what might work. There are some cute shoes I really can't wear now... but I'm developing a "style sense" that works with the new footwear. It can be done!

Hang in there, ladies... it'll come with time!

I am a symes amputee and have been since I was 23 months old so I have never worn heels. It sucks because I am 16 and can't wear heels to prom and homecoming like all of my friends. I love shoes and look at them all the time but always have to find flats. I am getting ready to get a new prosthetic made and am going to print out some of the articles on different feet I have foud and see what he says...

Guest bearlover
I am a symes amputee and have been since I was 23 months old so I have never worn heels. It sucks because I am 16 and can't wear heels to prom and homecoming like all of my friends. I love shoes and look at them all the time but always have to find flats. I am getting ready to get a new prosthetic made and am going to print out some of the articles on different feet I have foud and see what he says...

I have never worn high heels too! I don't get all the fuss or big deal. I had to deal with many operations since 12 months old on my leg and had no choice in shoes of any type. Shoes don't become a priorty when you have been through so much as I have with a brace al my life. I quess you don't miss what you never had. Shoes are over rated to me. Oh sure when I get dressed up I wear a cute shoe that I'm able to wear I too have flats and very limited chooice..But I just want to be able to walk comfortably. and with a prosthetic that is a struggle alone.

Ann, I've been thinking about your post... especially your final line:

I am afraid to go out in public with it~~WHAT IF IT FAILS??

Well... if it fails, you'll probably step out of your shoe. And yes, you might trip, stumble, or even fall. And it would be a pain to have to put the shoe back on and then hobble off to someplace where you could sit down and make sure it was properly secured. And, finally, it would be embarassing.

Just exactly as it might play out if you had two "normal" legs.

I was unloading the back of my truck at a second hand store one day and my prosthetic foot twisted, and my shoe came off. Others took the load, and I just sat down in front of everyone and hoisted my pant leg, removed my prosthesis, and put my shoe back on. Yes, there were a few "looks", (I don't know that I would call them stares), but so what. "I yam what I yam". Nothing more - nothing less. I don't let my leg - or the lack of it - identify me.

Ladies aren't the only ones with heel problems. For most of my adult life I have worn, cowboy boots. I don't think that I tied a shoe lace for over 30 years. Now the heels there may not reach feminine status, but by nature - except for the "walking heel" - a cowboy boot has a higher heel. Just the way that they are built.

The only ones that I wear today are my dress boots, on strictly dress up occasions. A pair of Sea Turtle that I have had since 1975, and a pair of black Lizard since about '79. Being worn just for dress, they are as clean and sharp today as when I bought them. (Yes, I know that Sea Turtle is endangered, but they weren't in 1975. I have been offered a lot for them just as they are - but no way.) I got rid of my everyday and work boots because it is easier to walk in "walking shoes" now. I had to have both of the boots heels ground down to about 5/8 inch to accomadate my prosthetic foot. (I also had a zipper put down the side of the right boot to allow the prosthetic heel of the foot to navigate the turn.)

Sooooooo, this may seem to be mainly a womans problem, but for men wearing cowboy boots, we can identify with it also. I guess an adjustable foot would work. I frankly never thought of it.

It sucks. I feel like the only woman in the world who can't wear heels. Not because they are uncomfortable but because of my prosthesis. I would wear them all the time if I could! I want to wear some oxford pumps! Is that too much to ask?! :(

Jim, thank you for a totally 'man' perspective!! My mother and her brothers all hail from Arizona, so I know how much cowboy boots mean to them.

I love shoes and after my amputation, I gave quite a few really cool shoes away. But now I find really funky and cool shoes with little to no heel... Sketchers makes some good ones. Heels? They were cool, but I got a bunion from them back in the day... The only really positive thing about my amputation was that at least they amputated my right foot -- which had the terrible bunion!! :P