lisa

High Heels!!!

110 posts in this topic

I have the Elation foot by Ossur that is an adjustable heel height. I use it in the office and you are supposed to be able to wear a shoe with a heel height of 1 1/2 inches. With all of the other injuries that I sustained in my accident, I don't wear higher heels any more, but, with it, it allows me to wear nicer shoes and not worry about "walking funny". I really like it. I can go from a nice dress shoe to going flat footed, with no shoe, in just a matter of a few seconds.. I have to say, this foot isn't the best out side on the farm, but if you work in an inside enviroment, it is an awesome foot..

It sucks. I feel like the only woman in the world who can't wear heels. Not because they are uncomfortable but because of my prosthesis. I would wear them all the time if I could! I want to wear some oxford pumps! Is that too much to ask?! :(

Again no your not alone! there are a lot of us..I have never been able to wear them and neve have. It was always funky ugly orthopedic brace shoes. Now I still can't wear them, I really don't care ther are far to many other issues I have with the prosthetic than hig heels besides shoes are over rated! :D

..............I really don't care there are far to many other issues I have with the prosthetic than hig heels besides shoes are over rated! :D

I like that "shoes are overrated" The first thing I do in the evening when I am through for the day, and know that I am in, is to take my shoes off. I like to feel the carpeting (or the grass if I do go outside), under my feet. And yes, I did say "feet", (Plural). I swear that I can feel it through my prosthetic foot up into my leg. My sense of "feel" through that foot is amazing. My imagination? Perhaps, but It's real enough. I believe that with my eyes closed, I could still tell the difference.

Oh don't get me wrong, I look at shoes and envy the people who have a choice of any shoe that like and desire. I look at all the trendy styles and cute hells. knowing i can't have them. I just learned a long time ago shoes are over rated..! :D

I know exactly how you feel Jim.

I have a bit of a shoe/purse obsession. I blame my mother.

I was wrong to be insinsitive K. Shoes are a basic function to me, and I have always had my choice, so to say that I understand is redundant. I wasn't looking at it from your perspective - and never could. I apologize for being narrow sighted. I can relate how important my wife's shoes are to her, so I guess I can understand to come degree what Shelby is trying to say. Sorry Ladies.

I was wrong to be insinsitive K. Shoes are a basic function to me, and I have always had my choice, so to say that I understand is redundant. I wasn't looking at it from your perspective - and never could. I apologize for being narrow sighted. I can relate how important my wife's shoes are to her, so I guess I can understand to come degree what Shelby is trying to say. Sorry Ladies.

No need to be sorry! I have a different outlook on it..Like as I said I learned as a very young girl,,Life hands you a difficult situation..Thier are far more worse things in life than shoes. At leat we can walk. Who cares what kind of shoe we wear or can't wear?

No need to be sorry! I have a different outlook on it..Like as I said I learned as a very young girl,,Life hands you a difficult situation..Thier are far more worse things in life than shoes. At leat we can walk. Who cares what kind of shoe we wear or can't wear?

I LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE!! That my friend is what separates so many of us. Our ATTITUDE - not necessarily our condition

I LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE!! That my friend is what separates so many of us. Our ATTITUDE - not necessarily our condition

Thanks Jim..I was raised not to feel sorry for myself and to deal. I was also taught that there are many other people who never walked or never will Who am I to gripe over a pair of lousy shoes? :)

I was tought the same way and whether I like it or not, its true. I am lucky that I can walk and have been able too for most of my life.

I was tought the same way and whether I like it or not, its true. I am lucky that I can walk and have been able too for most of my life.

I can walk and have been able to also. It has always been a struggle for me,and still is actually loosing my leg has made it worse that I have ever been. I have always had a brace since age 8 months. But a prosthetic is a bigger chllange of course. I'm just happy for the little things I accomplish like going up stairs, and walking over a curb..ect..And very thankful that its not worse. :)

I must be weird....well I am weird! :P ....but just walking has never been enough for me.

I wanna run, jump,hop, skip, slide, fall over, skate, ride, climb, break escalators....and dammit get some nice high heels!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I totally understand that lots of people are not able to do more.....but I won't ever be happy till I've at least tried everything.

I must be weird....well I am weird! :P ....but just walking has never been enough for me.

I wanna run, jump,hop, skip, slide, fall over, skate, ride, climb, break escalators....and dammit get some nice high heels!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I totally understand that lots of people are not able to do more.....but I won't ever be happy till I've at least tried everything.

Who dosent want todo all these things? I have never been able to all my life, I'll settle for the little asccomplishments in life and take it one day at a time. :)

Nope 'Cat' !!!!! you're not weird... :blink: ......when you have had something & you lose it it .....it's not the same " EVER'. I think I will invest in an "elation" foot like Higgys'. At least you don't worry about buying a shoe that the heel is a tad different.

:)

ann

Nope 'Cat' !!!!! you're not weird... :blink: ......when you have had something & you lose it it .....it's not the same " EVER'. I think I will invest in an "elation" foot like Higgys'. At least you don't worry about buying a shoe that the heel is a tad different.

ann

I quess you don't miss what you never had! :) Other thing are more important to you.

Well, sorry, Cat. You ARE wierd. But then so am I. Perhaps that's why we get on so well :D

I ditto everything you said. I want to run, jump, take a shot at breaking an escalator, and wear heels, at least short one, comfortably. I'm thankful for all that I can do but always want to do more.

I think it's called being "hardheaded" :P

Well, sorry, Cat. You ARE wierd. But then so am I. Perhaps that's why we get on so well :D

I ditto everything you said. I want to run, jump, take a shot at breaking an escalator, and wear heels, at least short one, comfortably. I'm thankful for all that I can do but always want to do more.

No, it's called being "human". That's why we have "progress', and don't still live in a cave. We all want more than what we have, or we wouldn't advance anymore than the apes.

The difference is spelled out perfectly in something called the Serenity Prayer"

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

Courage to change the things I can, and

Wisdom to know the difference

This to me, says it all, and applies to almost everything in life. It's called "Being Realistic".

P.S. I totally agree, (except for the high heels part). And I also agree that one wants to "try everything" - if they can.

Do all that you can do and be all that you can be, but be realistic. AND THEN . At my age, the running, jumping, hopping, skipping, skating and climbing - as well as a few other things - are mostly a memory. And it has absolutely nothing to do with my leg.

If your not happy now, then wait until you get older - you'll really be miserable. There are a whole bunch of things that you won't be able to do - anymore.

I AM SAYING MOST OF THIS IN JEST. (MOST - NOT ALL) :P I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ONE WHO AT LEAST TRIED.

If you ever had met, or do meet Cat, you would totally understand the statement Cat made... Jim, Cat is quite the character..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of us, will do the best that we can, conquer things things the best that we can, and just keep going on. If we can't do it one way, we find another way to do it.

Everyone would walk into my room with the looks of pity on their faces after the accident.. thinking, that I would never be able to do anything again, not just from the amputation, but all the other injuries combined.. (In all fairness, after seeing that darn pelvic fixator for so long, I can't say as I blamed them) Well, here I am, doing all of the things I done before, even getting "stuck" on the top layer of hay, against the rafters in the barn.... :huh: :lol: :lol:

Dad told me before he died that I didn't know how to quit, and he's right, I don't.. that word just doesn't work for me, it never has..

Marcia, maybe it is just another way of saying I'm hardheaded!!!

I hope that most of us, just never "settle". I know that I never will... But, I do know that there are prosthestics out there that will give us a huge help, toward making things easier for us....

Jim, Cat is quite the character..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! :P ...I've been called worse things :lol:

I should have said it a little differently.

I've done all those things.....what I meant is I wanna do them again....and again...and again.... ;) Maybe not the falling over part quite so often ;)

Will hopefully be getting my new "super foot" today.....wonder what I will be able to do with it. Probly not heels though. I'm keeping an old foot for that job.

I know that you have been waiting for a long, long time for this... I hope your foot is there for you today..and........ I hope it lets you do all the things that you wish to do again..... Let us know.....

I think that you are going to be surprised, once you get used to it...... LOOK OUT ANY AND ALL ESCALATORS :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, it's called being "human". That's why we have "progress', and don't still live in a cave. We all want more than what we have, or we wouldn't advance anymore than the apes.

The difference is spelled out perfectly in something called the Serenity Prayer"

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

Courage to change the things I can, and

Wisdom to know the difference

This to me, says it all, and applies to almost everything in life. It's called "Being Realistic".

[/quote

I'm a realastic! naybe to much of one! I agree with this one Jim!

Some of us, will do the best that we can, conquer things things the best that we can, and just keep going on. If we can't do it one way, we find another way to do it.

I do understand what you said here very well. Those who have gotten to know me can attest to that. :rolleyes:

Getting back to being light hearted here, as I was trying to do, what I said about age itself being a handicap, sure came into play today. My wife and I took my 86 year old mother-in-law out to our daughters farm, where she had 5 of her grandchildren (ages 3-7), for the week. This meant, our great-grandchildren, and my mother-in-law's great-great-granchildren. We tried keeping up with them for the day, and this old man is worn out. (I think my wife and her mother are also.) But..... it sure was worth it Trust me - running, jumping, etc, is a thing of the past. But we gave it our best shot and had a blast.

Will hopefully be getting my new "super foot" today.....wonder what I will be able to do with it. Probly not heels though. I'm keeping an old foot for that job.

I'm in awe of what you can do with your "nothing" foot. I told you once that if you ever got a good foot you'd be able to leap tall buildings at a single bound.

I'm expecting pictures.. :P

'cat' and just what would that super foot be called?????????

ann