Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lisa

High Heels!!!

i have never worn a pair of heels before and i loveeee shoes so lucky there are so many cute flats around these days or i don't know what i'd do

a foot with an adjustable heel is just a bit too expensive for me at the moment but one dayyy. and i will probably fall flat on my face haha

I have a AKA and have a foot that accomadates high heels but it is not very successful does anyone have any ideas which foot is best for AKA please? I desperate to start wearing heels again although I have lots of flat sparkly shoes sometimes they are just not appropriate when I'm going to more dressy functions.

The problem with a heel height adjustable foot on an AK is (if you have a free knee) then when you bump the heel height up, you change the alignment at the knee, and so make it more difficult to walk. Once you change the heel height with a free knee, then you will change everything. What you would ideally need is a leg set at the heel height you want and a leg set at normal heel height, although I don't think your prosthetist would like this suggestion :D

Theres still not many options for Symes amputees. Its hard to run because the leg is so heavy, I can't wear heels, and theres just not many choices out there.

Although I did find these adorable strappy, cork wedge sandals from nine west for $20!

Theres still not many options for Symes amputees. Its hard to run because the leg is so heavy, I can't wear heels, and theres just not many choices out there.

Although I did find these adorable strappy, cork wedge sandals from nine west for $20!

Hi Shelby,

I am also a Symes amputee, however my left leg was shorter than my right due to a birth defect so that maybe why I am able to use the Ossur Elation foot with an adjustable heel. I have pushed it to the limit and can almost get it to 3 inches, but it does very well at the 2 - 2 1/2 inch range. Another possibility might be to have another leg with a foot at a fixed heel height. I had one in my 20's that was set at 3 inches, and I wore plenty of stiletto heels, and danced my rear off at the night clubs while wearing those heels!!!

Well, sorry, Cat. You ARE wierd. But then so am I. Perhaps that's why we get on so well :D

I ditto everything you said. I want to run, jump, take a shot at breaking an escalator, and wear heels, at least short one, comfortably. I'm thankful for all that I can do but always want to do more.

I think it's called being "hardheaded" :P

No, it's called being "human". That's why we have "progress', and don't still live in a cave. We all want more than what we have, or we wouldn't advance anymore than the apes.

The difference is spelled out perfectly in something called the Serenity Prayer"

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change

Courage to change the things I can, and

Wisdom to know the difference

This to me, says it all, and applies to almost everything in life. It's called "Being Realistic".

Jim,

I saw this quote on the Serenity Prayer and I knew I had to join this website. It has a really special meaning for me. My Nana made a special copy of this prayer for me when I was 9 yrs old and in the hospital after my amputation. I have thought of it often over the years when times might get tough and it really helped because it keeps your focus where it should be.

Thanks for posting it.

I've been wondering if I can comfortably wear flats similar in type to this:

http://www.aerosoles.com/product1.asp?P=FLEXAM

without worrying about them falling off. If so, how do you keep them on? Did I remember someone talking about velcro???

Susan

PS I never was a heel wearer, but wouldn't mind wearing something somewhat feminine. I did try on sandals last week, but just couldn't deal with looking at the fake foot yet......... :( :blink:

Hi Susan

I think I have given up on slip on shoes, had too many that just didn't stay on, specially after they'd been taken on and off a few times, which may be something to do with the quality of the shoes I have been buying recently. But, in the past I have been successful with a few, especially those which come high up the foot. I had one pair of slip ons, years ago, came quite high up the foot, and was tight fitting and did have elastic built in under the top of the shoe and wore these for quite a while. I find slip ons particularly a problem on slopes and steps, but I am bilateral and do know unilaterals who have worn them with no problems.

Hi Shelby,

I am also a Symes amputee, however my left leg was shorter than my right due to a birth defect so that maybe why I am able to use the Ossur Elation foot with an adjustable heel. I have pushed it to the limit and can almost get it to 3 inches, but it does very well at the 2 - 2 1/2 inch range. Another possibility might be to have another leg with a foot at a fixed heel height. I had one in my 20's that was set at 3 inches, and I wore plenty of stiletto heels, and danced my rear off at the night clubs while wearing those heels!!!

I have considered getting a let with a foot at a fixed heel height. I get a new leg every year, since I still get a little taller every year. I will defiantley ask about that! Thanks!

I have a AKA and have a foot that accomadates high heels but it is not very successful does anyone have any ideas which foot is best for AKA please? I desperate to start wearing heels again although I have lots of flat sparkly shoes sometimes they are just not appropriate when I'm going to more dressy functions.

The problem with a heel height adjustable foot on an AK is (if you have a free knee) then when you bump the heel height up, you change the alignment at the knee, and so make it more difficult to walk. Once you change the heel height with a free knee, then you will change everything. What you would ideally need is a leg set at the heel height you want and a leg set at normal heel height, although I don't think your prosthetist would like this suggestion :D

I think you're being a bit confusing Ali... if you have a heel hieght adjustment device such as an adjustable foot, or the Brio30.... then there are no specific problems associated with AKs. What you describe only happens if you change the hieght of you heel without making allowance for it. If you wear a 2cm heel and you adjust the device to plantar flex the foot by the same amount, your alignment at the knee doesn't change.

I think you're being a bit confusing Ali... if you have a heel hieght adjustment device such as an adjustable foot, or the Brio30.... then there are no specific problems associated with AKs. What you describe only happens if you change the hieght of you heel without making allowance for it. If you wear a 2cm heel and you adjust the device to plantar flex the foot by the same amount, your alignment at the knee doesn't change.

I agree with Mr Blue