Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi my name's Jude and I'm 15 years old.

On Friday it will have been a month since I had an elective transtibial amputation on my right leg. I was born with PFFD (one leg shorter than the other) and since the age of 3 I have had 17 operations prior to the amputation to try and correct this. However my hip and pelvis can't withstand any more leg lengthening so I decided to have this done following 6 months of researching and talking about it with doctors, family and friends.

The operation itself went very well and I was out of hospital after 4 days. I had problems with an infection and skin dying on the end of my leg (I prefer to call it my leg rather than my stump it just sounds nicer.)

Yesterday the prosthetists gave me my shrinker yesterday and I started to walk on their training legs. I don't know whether you have come across a PAM aid, but that's what I'm using.

I found this forum and thought that you guys could possibly help me as most of you have already been through what I'm going through.

Hello Powerpuff!!

Very glad you found us! You might just be the youngest member yet...

I've heard of a pam aid, but never used/seen one. Can you tell me a little bit about this? (Probably everyone else here knows more than I about this!)

I had a lot of trouble calling it a stump in the beginning too... but after about 100 times of typing out "residual limb" I caved in and now it's stump! But I totally know what you mean!

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling here and say WELCOME!!

Marilyn

Hi Jude and welcome to the forum, sounds like you've been through alot ever since the age of 3 and are doing amazingly well.

I've never heard of a PAM aid so am intrigued too! My Prosthetist is called Pamela but I don't think it's anything to do with her!!

Hope your enjoy your stay here and I'm sure you'll get the help and support which you're after.

Kev

hey thanks for your reply.

I tried to find a photo of a PAM aid but I think it could be more than one of the letters I'm not sure. Anyway a PAM aid has three parts to it: there's a cushion that you hold onto the end of your leg whilst someone else pulls on a tube almost like an armband that goes quite a way up your leg. Then, the metal frame is put on over this and the long tube is pumped up to put pressure onto your leg. It's also used as a way of shrinking down the leg. Then you can kind of walk on it but you can't put much pressure through it; it's kinda used as a way of getting you used to walking again but looks nothing like the prosthetic legs look.

Hope this is an okay description :D

Hi my name's Jude and I'm 15 years old.

On Friday it will have been a month since I had an elective transtibial amputation on my right leg. I was born with PFFD (one leg shorter than the other) and since the age of 3 I have had 17 operations prior to the amputation to try and correct this. However my hip and pelvis can't withstand any more leg lengthening so I decided to have this done following 6 months of researching and talking about it with doctors, family and friends.

The operation itself went very well and I was out of hospital after 4 days. I had problems with an infection and skin dying on the end of my leg (I prefer to call it my leg rather than my stump it just sounds nicer.)

Yesterday the prosthetists gave me my shrinker yesterday and I started to walk on their training legs. I don't know whether you have come across a PAM aid, but that's what I'm using.

I found this forum and thought that you guys could possibly help me as most of you have already been through what I'm going through.

Welcome to the forum, Jude. :D

I was born with a limb deficiency too and at the age of 14 years, I decided to have my remaining foot amputated, so I'm now AK & BK. I've also used a Ppam aid to learn to walk again, after surgery.

I'm glad you could join us!

Lizzie :)

Guest bearlover

Hi Jude! :) welcome, I also was born with a birth defect. I now have a LBK for almost 3 years now come July. Hope you get some good information here and have some fun at the same time! :) :D

Hi Jude

I myself am using a pam aid! You are a very brave young lady especially as you had already gone threw enough before opting for an amputation. The reason I use a pam aid is that my leg has severe skin grafts which are not healed yet, similar to yourself. It can be extremely frustrating because obviously until your wound has heeled they will probably not allow you to have a limb fitted. I have got to wait until Sept for my limb fitting appointment. I have turned this into a positive because while I am using the pam aid I am getting much needed exercise and also I can perfect my new walk.

The best way i can describe a pam aid is that a small swimming armband is put on the end of your stump, a large one is then put over the whole of that leg. A steel frame is then put over that, this would be in place of a limb. The inflatable is then inflated, this is so no pressure is put on the stump or any other areas that may not have been healed.

lisa

Hi Jude and welcome aboard :)

Here's a photo of our lovely assistant Muz using a PPAM Aid.

Hope you enjoy it here :D

Ooops! Methinks I don't need to "get Muz back"!!!

Good illustration, though!!

Why in the world have I never used of this in the States???? Seems like it would have gone a long way to helping me avoid these crappy contractures....

Any US folks used one?

Hey Jude (Reminds me of a Beatles song)

Someone mentioned earlier that you were the youngest one on here. As far as I know, I believe I'm the oldest. But that is only in the years we've lived - not the time we've aged. At 15 you have seen far more in this area, than I ever saw until I was 52. I can't believe the maturity that you are exemplifying.

Welcome to your other home. I look forward to reading your posts.

Hi Jude, welcome to the forum.

Hello Jude. :) Welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with the PAM device, but I know you've come to the right place for good advice and support. I'm a 34 yr old left AK since august of last year. We're glad to have you. Welcome aboard. :D :D

Hey Jude, (lil Beatles humor) :P

Welcome......this is a great place to get some information as well as support & laugh from time to time. There are a couple of people close to your age here, that I'm sure will be around for peer support. Sorry for what you're going through, but it sounds like you've gone through a lot to get here. Take care. :)

Hi Jude, Hope that photo didn't scare you

I don't know about Jude...but I'm sleeping with the lights on! :rolleyes:

Linda

Do you get "Hey Jude" a LOT, Jude? I have a kind of uncommon last name that lends itself well to jokes, myself, and EVERYONE I meet has to tell me at least a couple of them... then they ask if I've "heard that one before.........." (sigh........) Anyway, WELCOME! It sounds like you're going into this with a great attitude and much maturity... just remember to have a little FUN, too.

I'm a LBK, and in a round-about sort of way, it was a quite MINOR birth defect that started me on the road to losing my leg last year, at the age of 50.

Marilyn, I'd never heard of the PAM Aid either, until I came here... and yes, it sure would have been lovely, odd contraption though it is, to be able to use something like that during rehab! I get the feeling that it may be more a "UK thing"... of course, i understand that another "UK thing" is that folks there actually GET water-legs! (Am I correct on that point, UK folks?) What a novel concept -- water activities are good for amps, so we enable them to do them more easily! (Our country still has a LOT to learn.....................!)

I was going to do the hey Jude bit when I saw this post :(

Hi there then and a warm welcome from the north west of the UK. I am an above knee amputee and I said goodbye to my leg at the tender age of 18 when I was riding a motorbike. I agree with you on your comment:

(I prefer to call it my leg rather than my stump it just sounds nicer.)

and I too call it my leg or sometimes my residual limb so you won't get stumped from my posts.

I hope you like it here and my inbox and email address are there if you ever want to use them. Once again welcome.

On the water legs Cherylm I think they are called shower legs over here, people swim with them on but are told they are only for shower use. I have never had one but I have heard of people that have. My volume changes so much that they have trouble getting one socket to fit for any length of time so I haven't been able to get one.

Yes you can get water activity legs in the UK ... I think I may have posted pics of mine somewhere on the forum. I think it depends where your limb centre is and also as with everything in life ... if you don't aask you don't get.

As well as the obvious uses of using in a shower and swimming (they can be used in the pool or on the beach), the water leg is also good for general wear around the house if you want to go bearfoot (as the foot is set up for use without shoes)

ahh here we are My swim leg

thank you all so much for your comments it's great to find somewhere with people in the same 'boat' to talk to.

Yes I do get hey Jude! a lot but I just say yeah.. :rolleyes: and carry on.

When I can walk I'm getting three legs thanks to the wonderful Exeter Mobility Centre the people there are great and I am really happy with the services.

I was wondering if anybody had ideas to help with phantom pains? I'm okay with them during the day but getting to sleep can be a nightmare.

I was wondering if anybody had ideas to help with phantom pains? I'm okay with them during the day but getting to sleep can be a nightmare.

I have similar sort of problems, I can ignore them during the day but at night they can be a nuisance. If I have trouble getting to sleep I'll put my iPod on to take my mind off the pains and then find that I can fall asleep listening to music!

Hi Jude,

Welcome. I am 29 and lost my leg last Christmas (2004) in the tsunami.

I too used a PAM aid when I started to walk again and liked it. It is a nice feeling to walk again even before it is time to get a prosthetic leg, isn't it?

And bizzare you are all talking about water legs today, as I have just spend all day at the limb fitting centre having a fitting and shaping for mine. How strange......or maybe not now it is summer finally!!

x x