Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

When I can walk I'm getting three legs thanks to the wonderful Exeter Mobility Centre the people there are great and I am really happy with the services.

Thought you might go to Exeter from the comment you made when you saw that picture :) Yes it does seem to be a good place (although it's the only one I've been to). Which prosthetist do you see?

I see Marnie and sometimes David but I think Marnie's my prosthetist. I'm not entirely sure :rolleyes:

Other way round :) Marnies the Physio. I see Steve.

G'day Jude and welcome :)

Hi Jude and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're doing well, just keep that positive attitude going.

Pam Aid. I too used one of these as part of my early rehab following my amputation. It was a real good feeling to be stood up again and walking after a couple of weeks in the wheelchair.

When I was eventually allowed to move about on my own whilst using the Pam Aid I used to take off all over the place, got into endless trouble, but what the hell :D

Believe me it's so much easier when you get your prosthetic leg.

Heya Jude,

Im andrea and Im 20, became a double below knee amp just over three years ago. I also used a PAM aid to lean to walk.

You certainly have been though a lot and I wish you all the best.

Keep smiling

Andy

xx

Hi Jude

The first time I used a PAM Aid was the first time I had stood unaided in about three years. It went right to my head. The feeling was wicked.

For the night pains some here uses a shrinker like sock made of a metal material. Sorry I used it myself but cant remember what it was called. It helepd a great deak.

PLEASE HELP SOME ONE I feel a real div.

Good luck with the rest of your rehab. You are incredibly brave.

Rachel

Hi hope everyone's okay.

Well yesterday I went to see the plastic surgeons because the dead skin isn't coming off yet, they have now said that it could take months to heal or weeks but this has really put a downer on everything for me because everything could take so much longer now. The doctors also said that I can't use the PPAM aid until it's healed up so I might not walk on that for a while either. I know that it might not take longer but right now it's upsetting and frustrating because I really want to be able to go back to school in September nearly sorted but it might not happen now.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with dead skin or wounds?

Thankyou so much for being so nice.

Hey

Well I suppose I kind of have an issue with my wound as its never healed. I recently saw my plastic surgeon again and he said that there was calcification of the bone and that they are goign to clean it out soon.

I hope that you can return to school in september. Is there a chance of you going back in a wheel chair? Will the school accomodate you? Are you in much pain with it.

Andy

xxx

I'm back at school already in a wheelchair. I'd rather not be there lol but that's okay. It doesn't hurt 'cos it's literally on the skin but it's just really frustrating 'cos I had only just got my shrinker and was starting to walk so it's upsetting.

Good luck with your wounds; doesn't sound right but there you go.

xx

Jude, I know it's frustrating and a major "downer," but please try to keep in mind that SLOW healing does not mean NO healing. Yeah, I know... "slow" is hard to deal with when you're 15 and ready to LIVE, but hang on and you WILL get there!

It took me quite a while longer than expected to get my leg... first because of slow healing and then because I had LOTS of post-op swelling, much more than usual, and my CPO would not even try to begin to fit me until the swelling went down more. I understand that they generally fit folks more quickly in the UK than they do here in the US, because of our private insurance issues here. At any rate, I spent some really frustrating times waiting to get "back to normal" again! And now I've had my leg for a year, and it's amazing how fast it all seems to have gone, to me.

Try to remember that healing is not always a "straight line" process...... sometimes your body wanders in circles for a bit, or doubles back on itself, or takes a brief detour. That doesn't mean it's not healing... just doing it in its own time. This is a time for you to listen to your body and let if do what it needs, so it will be able to serve you well when you get back up, and around, and set off back to normal life.

take care... cherylm

Hi Jude,

I'm afraid I have no experience of dead skin so can't help with that but do know what it feels like to get a set back when you think everythings going so well. In my case it was only a few days after I'd got out of hospital, I was feeling so pleased about being home and then they told me I'd picked up MRSA, I know it's not the same thing but I atleast have an idea of how you're feeling.

I know it might not feel like it at the moment but you have done amazingly well to be back at school just a month after your amp, it took me 5 months to get back to work and I'm still only part time.

You're doing fantastic and I'm sure you'll consider to do so even if it is at a slightly slower pace now.

Best wishes

Kev

Hi Jude,

I had healing problems too. It took me 6 months to be given a prosthetic leg after my amputation. I spent my time hopping around on crutches, and just generally trying to live as full a life as I could with the limited mobility I had. I manged OK. Went back to work the following month and went out in the evenings and at weekends whenever I could. Just took a lot more taxis than I would otherwise have done.

It is incredibly frustrating, I know. But all I can say is in this time you have make sure you do your exercises, and just try to get on with things as normally as you can. The time when you get your leg will come soon enough, and before you know it you will be back to normal.

I noticed you have asked about dead skin? I had lots of skin grafts on my leg, and the skin really took a long time to settle down from that. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as once you get your leg and the circulation starts flowing, your skin will get so so much better.

x x

Hi Jude

Welcome to this forum, and glad you are doing better now. I am an elective RBKA. Take care for now, if you need anything, I am here as well as others.

Lesley

:D I'm REALLY happy at the moment. After my leg eventually healed, I went back to the mobility centre and we have ordered the sock and some parts for my leg. I'm going back to do some walking on Thursday and back again on Monday to have my cast fitting. And THEN the following Tuesday I'll get my leg!!

Well that's if it all gets delivered on time.

Judith

Glad to see you! This is a pretty good crowd so long as you don't mention "peanut butter".

This group has helped me A LOT and I'm sure they will have answers to any questions you may have.

We're all on your side. :D :D

Welcome to the board Jude.

I'm LBK due to traumatic injury.... It sounds like you are doing well, and I'm glad to hear that you are soon to be casted....Things are beginning to look up aren't they!

Higgy

Welcome Judith

You are not only brave, you are beautiful... I think we are as lucky to have

you join us, as you were to find this group. Everyone is great...a few comedians. but hey say

Laughter is the best medicine. I am sure that someone will help you deal with the phantom pains as

there are so many who suffer from that. Im one of the lucky ones, my neuropathy is probaly why I dont get them much

Once again, Welcome

Pattilyn :D

Jude, how long have you had your leg now, what kind of "problems" are you having, and how long is sitting "for a while?" I'm asking because I do occasionally have some stiffness and discomfort when I stand and walk after sitting for some time. It was worse, and happened more often, when I first got my leg... now it's pretty rare, but it does still happen once in a while.

If I'm "up and down" and moving around in my chair a lot (like in my office at work), I rarely have problems... but if I've been sitting still for quite a while (like at the movies or a concert, or sitting at the computer for a long time at home), my first 5 - 10 steps or so when I stand up look and feel like a toddler learning to walk! Then my muscles stretch out, I get my balance, and I'm fine until I have to sit for a long time again.

It's GOOD to hear you talking about walking again!

Hi Jude, i had an elective below knee right leg amp 10 weeks ago due to diabetes, i have found this site full of friendly supportive people a big welcome to you, you seem a very brave young lady who seems to be coping very well, take care and if you need help just ask.

p.s. Where are you from?

Neil :blush:

Hi, Jude. (Aren't you glad I didn't say "hey") Sorry I'm late, but welcome to the forum. There are alot of amazing folks around here who are always willing to help. Glad you found us! :D

Guest bearlover

:) Welcome Jude! Happy you joined us. we are a fun but searious group...Again Welcome abord! :)