Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ampskier

About ME

Hello all,

I just thought I'd tell you about myself. I'm 33 and have had many different types of jobs, from waiter to newspaper delivery to welder. Most recently I've been a welder. Last week I got a new job at a ski area near Lake Tahoe so I'll be up there this winter. I like the out doors and have never considered myself "disabled". I lost my leg at the age of 3 to a birth defect and my folks never told me I was disabled and I didn't figure it out for myself until I was about 18. By then it was too late. I already knew I WASN'T disabled.

I like to read and write so you might be seeing a lot of me here. Fell free to e-mail me any time. The e-mail will go into my "junk mail" box so put something like "from HM's web site" so I'll know it's not really junk mail.

Eric

Hi , Eric, :D

My name is V icki Williams from Australia, I have been to Lake Tahoe, back in 79' I was having holiday with girlfriends , we were with the Australian Water Ski team, They skiied all over the place, Clear Lake, I wondered whether you have also water skiied, My daughter Niki 20yrs is Rbk, due to a motor vehicle accident. Her grandad, manufactures Water Skis here in Australia. Niki is very active young lady, she has been trying to water ski again, but having a few proplems, she also wants to learn how to snow ski, maybe you could give her a few pointers. Niki is a member of the forum also , she loves to chat, so you must have a talk to her, Nikilea is her sign on. Well take care, i will get my photo album out and show Niki the Photos, of when we stayed there, i remeber it being a bit cold , but very beautiful , we went to the Ponderoso, theme park, is it still there?

Vicki Williams Australia :lol:

Eric,

Welcome to the forum. You have lots of experience and I'm sure you'll be a great asset to this community. I have been an amputee for 36 years due to a birth defect as well. I am the active runner here.

Brenda

Welcome to the boards Eric. Your story is similar to mine - due to a birth defect I had my right leg amputated AK at a very young age. I had no idea I was 'disabled' until I was much older and could take in other people's reactions. I did activities most other kids my age did (horse riding, cycling, dancing, swimming).

You're an inspiration to other amputees in your sporting hobbies and will be a good influence on these forums! I've just read some of your funny stories and had a good chuckle - I never thought of that excuse for not coming into work though. :lol:

Best Wishes

Mandy

hi eric i have been an amputate for 3 years now .i live in france .but am from devon in england .one day i found out that my dad had a stroke as you can imagine i wanted to be with him so as i did not have alt of money i took the bus to go and see him 18 hours on a bus for the return to france took same method 18 hours on a bus .got home with my family in the evening i had lots of cramp in one leg 10 days later after all the doctors could do here i lost my leg .what a shock .. took me 1 year to heal .some times i thank god i am here and other times no .but it is not the amputation that makes me feel blue now it is the family who with love treat me like i come from a different planet . not a different country .but hey i am still me a pain in the butt but me someone who i am proud to besomeone who will continue to live the best she can with what she has it may sound like i am blowing my own trumpet .but who cares i am alive and happy with what i have two beautiful girls two handsome boys a man who still thinks i am the bees knes what more can you ask for

Hey Eric,

Welcome to the Forums. I wasn't very good at snow skiing when I had 2 good legs, so I am sure I would be horrible now ( also don't like the cold), but get me on the lake in the summer and I was great! Haven't been able to try watersking since my accident, going on 2 years now, but it is one of my goals. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kimberly

I just wanted to see my first post when I signed on as a member. That seems like such a long time ago. Also there are so many more people here. It's really great!

Eric