Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Nestudas

The World Cup

Good luck to all the teams, especially the US and Aussies (you guys pretending to play our sports again?) :P

Hope everyone enjoys the feast of football for the next month and come on England.

I don't like football. I am not attempting to preach but all I see assosciated with football is violence and sad people with silly flags attached to their cars.

This is only my opinion though.

It does amaze me how as a country we can be so patriotic about a bunch of overpaid sissies chasing a ball around a field but are too ashamed to show support for our troops when they are sent off to do the bidding of our elected politicians :angry:

Guest bearlover

How about Golf? grown men trying to hit a little ball in a hole in the ground and get paid big $$$ : :angry: :D

I hate football! I have to let hubby watch it because I've been watching 'big brother' 24/7.

I hate big brother too and the TV is absolute poo tonight

Time to go to the pub then ... one without a giant flatscreen in the corner :lol:

I haven't the energy for the pub so I am sat here chilling with my Nicorette inhalator and a can.

I don't like football. I am not attempting to preach but all I see assosciated with football is violence and sad people with silly flags attached to their cars.

This is only my opinion though.

Violence is rarely associated with football now, perhaps 10-15 years ago but not now. Violence is a problem with society in general its unfair to continue to attach it to football.

Why is the St George cross a silly flag?

Personally, I wouldn't attach one to my car or house but I don't begrudge someones right to do so. I do feel though that patriotism should not just be associated to football.

It does amaze me how as a country we can be so patriotic about a bunch of overpaid sissies chasing a ball around a field but are too ashamed to show support for our troops when they are sent off to do the bidding of our elected politicians :angry:

Whilst I do not disagree that a minority of footballers are overpaid I would not be able to tarnish them all with the same brush and call them "cissies". Should they have to serve time in the army to gain your respect?

I for one am immensely proud of anyone that serves in the armed forces, especially as personally I could not comprehend to do that myself. I do not see any evidence of people being ashamed to show support though, how would you suggest that be displayed? If anything I have a sense of sadness that our government has to send troops to war but has that not been the same since the beginning of time?

Well, I personally like watching football so will be enjoying the view ;)

Good luck to all the teams

Yes... may the best team win! :D

Hope everyone enjoys the feast of football for the next month and come on England.

Hi Rob

We used to be a football free house, as my hubby doesn't like footie. However, my son absolutely loves 'the beautiful game' and so it's all change this year - the World Cup has only just started and our house has already started to be invaded by teenaged boys, everytime a match is on! :angry: :D

Lizzie :)

Well, I personally like watching football so will be enjoying the view ;)

Good luck to all the teams

Yes... may the best team win! :D

Keep your eye on the ball and not the big strong thighs, Afet :)

Lets hope we shall be talking about good sport and not cheating and gamesmanship.

I'm sure I'll get corrected on this but ...

Why do we fly the flag of a saint? Most saints in this country were removed at the time England became a protestant country.

What does St George, allegedly a Palestinian, have to do with a small Island off the west coast of Europe?

Now ... and here's where it gets really controversial. If we want to really show how proud we are of England, we should fly the union flag. This shows the cross of St George superimposed over the Crosses of St patrick (Ireland) and St Andrew (Scotland) and could be said to repesent the English dominant position in the United Kingdom :) You'll note that Wales doesn't even get a look in here as it was annexed to England a lot earlier ;)

I'm sure I'll get corrected on this but ...

Why do we fly the flag of a saint? Most saints in this country were removed at the time England became a protestant country.

What does St George, allegedly a Palestinian, have to do with a small Island off the west coast of Europe?

Now ... and here's where it gets really controversial. If we want to really show how proud we are of England, we should fly the union flag. This shows the cross of St George superimposed over the Crosses of St patrick (Ireland) and St Andrew (Scotland) and could be said to repesent the English dominant position in the United Kingdom :) You'll note that Wales doesn't even get a look in here as it was annexed to England a lot earlier ;)

I agree with you on this Muz, "legend" has it that George was actually Turkish and travelled the world undertaking various acts of bravery including the slaying of a dragon in England hence his adoption as a saint of England. For me the St George cross is just a name, but the colours are symbolic of England. I don't have a problem with the Union Jack either. A similar argument is levied that the national anthem should not be sung at England games as it relates to the UK and not just England.

"legend" has it that George was actually Turkish

:unsure:

Hmm... I don't think he was Turkish (as Turks are known now), otherwise, after slaying the dragon, he would have made it into kebabs! :lol:

(By the way, before anyone pounces on me... I'm Turkish myself, so I can say that :rolleyes: )

I think you'll find that St. George originated from Cappadocia, which is in modern day Turkey.

It appears that he was of Roman origin, as he served in the Roman Army.

Muz, his mother was Palestinian.

I am not a history buff, so I found this out here

It appears that he was of Roman origin, as he served in the Roman Army.

If I remember correctly, I think the Romans recruited from all over the empire to sustain their large army. To be a true Roman I think one had to be born in Rome or be given the freedom of the city.

By the way St George didn't slay the dragon in England. She was dumped by her party and replaced by John Major :lol:

Hi one and all,

I personaly don't like football and I have found it strange that the patriotic St Georges flag is nowwhere to be seen on St Georges day. I feel sorry for the flag seller, only selling those flags every four years!

As, regards, Scotland/Wales/Ireland/Cornwall(part of the 7 Celtic states) these celebrate their National day as follows:

Scotland=Robbie Burns night.........go get drunk.

Wales=St Davids day.......go get drunk.

Ireland=St Patricks day.....go get drunk.

Cornwall=St Pirrans day....go get drunk.

In England they celebrated, by Morris dancing, guys in shorts, braces, socks and sandals and funny hats dancing opposite each other and hitting the opposite guys stick with their own.

Then when the Scots were drunk on R/Burns night the English would cross the border and ravish the women. The English would do the same in the other countries celebrating night's.

Until the Scots/Welsh/Irish and Cornish got wise to this and made the English Morris dancers wear bells attached to their socks and braces, so that they could be heard coming; so the women would hide.

So, IMO football has evolved from this, footballers wear shorts, long socks and...

Hmmm could be wrong but won't be long before they have bells attached to their socks.

As.......

Steve

In England they celebrated, by... dancing, guys in shorts, braces, socks and sandals and funny hats dancing opposite each other and hitting the opposite guys stick with their own.

Ahh yes... brings back fond memories of a childhood holiday in St. Ives :P

We used to be a football free house, as my hubby doesn't like footie. However, my son absolutely loves 'the beautiful game' and so it's all change this year - the World Cup has only just started and our house has already started to be invaded by teenaged boys, everytime a match is on! :rolleyes: :D

Lizzie :)

Lizzie, isn't it fun when the "kids" all want to be at your house? It's exciting and great. I actually miss that part of parenting. (my kids have all flown the coop!)

Ireland=St Patricks day.....go get drunk.

Steve[/color]

:lol: Even here in the states we celebrate St. Patricks day -- and in much the same way! :rolleyes:

I hate football! I have to let hubby watch it because I've been watching 'big brother' 24/7.

I love the football, especially when England play. Also enjoying Big Brother too.

Ann