Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Freddy

AKA Sockets

What type of socket do you as an AKA use? I have always used a suction socket for 36 years.

I use a MAS socket with an Iceross liner.

I use a MAS socket with an Iceross liner.

How are you getting on with the MAS Ally? Have you thought anymore on the Mauch? I have returned my Mauch :( we weren't getting on so I have decided to have another total knee system built with a new socket.

PJ :)

I use a socket with a seal-in liner. before that I used a suction socket for about 20 years and I could not say which type was better. I know if I fold the liner over the edge of the socket it is the liner that gets bitten instead of me.

How are you getting on with the MAS Ally? Have you thought anymore on the Mauch? I have returned my Mauch :( we weren't getting on so I have decided to have another total knee system built with a new socket.

I adore my MAS Paul. Sorry to hear about the mauch. Damn - you really tried with that thing!

I haven't given the mauch a bash yet.....still on the old faithful Total. But am gearing myself up....I think...

I am a aboveknee amputee.I started with a liner system with a side locking strap. Hated it because liner would alway rotate. Tried multiple sockets that were pure suction sytems but found I could loose air too easilly with sweat, volume changes and sitting down. When things were ideal the best system for me to walk on. My current socket system is the ossur sealin. I am in the fun stage of getting it tweaked. I find it the most comfortable of the bunch and it keeps its suction. On the negative side and it may not be the system versus the fit) it seems to require to get that socket perfectly aligned before you put it in since it will not rotate as soon as you put it on. ( anyone have hints like markings on the liner and the socket and a part on the body to make sure you get the alignment right) .Sometime it appears my leg rotates in the liner and all my alignment is off. It feels heavier and warmer than the pure suction system and the weight of the C-leg doesn't help. Thus effort to wak is greater but stability is great! Once in a while with the sealin I will lose the feeling that I am grounded and feel like the leg has given in when it did not at all.

It sure is hard to get the ideal? With the aid of the site and the experience I get trying different things I feel confident I can home in on the best system for me. Everything has tradeoffs.

Dave

Iceross Seal-In Liner from Ossur.

Being a bilateral, I have twice the problems that most others have.

I have tried a few other systems, this is by far the best yet!

Ted

I adore my MAS Paul. Sorry to hear about the mauch. Damn - you really tried with that thing!

I haven't given the mauch a bash yet.....still on the old faithful Total. But am gearing myself up....I think...

Good for you, you really stuck that out. I'm back in next Thursday for my 3rd Tec socket, my man is a wiz with them now, so I don't have to worry. The total set up is so safe, I really cannot contemplate learning to walk on a newbee, I know it looked good for a while with the Mauch, but I could'nt handle the falls, just to old and slow, that's me not the leg- Ho hum, sounding like eeyore again! :)

PJ

Hi:

I've used suction for years, I tried the liner last year but hated it.

Lynne