Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2006 Review

yep we got home 2 days ago.

Johnny.....help :lol:

Awwww Cat, you beat me to it.. That is the picture that I was going to post..... I still think it is cute though....

That was my pic Tammie feel free to post yours too

Great, Cat... hope we get to see the rest soon!

I've been sitting on a "secret" for about a week now, afraid to post it for fear it might all blow up in my face. But is seems to be "for real," so I'm going to say it....

MY POSS HAS OK'ed MY VACATION REQUEST FOR ATLANTA!

I didn't think I stood a chance... school district people just do NOT take off on vacation the last week of school... but she said she understood how important it was to me and she'd work with me to allow me to do it!

I'm one happy amp... now all I have to do is pay for it!

Great, Cat... hope we get to see the rest soon!

I've been sitting on a "secret" for about a week now, afraid to post it for fear it might all blow up in my face. But is seems to be "for real," so I'm going to say it....

MY POSS HAS OK'ed MY VACATION REQUEST FOR ATLANTA!

I didn't think I stood a chance... school district people just do NOT take off on vacation the last week of school... but she said she understood how important it was to me and she'd work with me to allow me to do it!

I'm one happy amp... now all I have to do is pay for it!

Whoa, girl! I know this has been a real trial to you -- getting off that really wacko time slot! Now, I'll HAVE to tell whatever prospective employer that I MUST have that time off too! Looking forward to next year!

Marcia running ( I had to play with it as it was too dark)

post-1506-1151830341_thumb.jpg

Hey there Ruth, how are ya?

You can tell that we all spent a whole lot of time together.... Looking at your pics are just about like looking

at ours with only a few subtle diffences.....Guess that goes to show that we all had a great time! :D :D :P

Thank You Higgy for reminding me!!! Uff Duh! It completely slipped my mind!!! :rolleyes:

Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

6 Tablespoons Butter (my hips are expanding just typing this!)

1 Tablespoon Minced Onion

1/2 Cup Flour

3 Cups Chicken Broth

2 Cups COOKED Wild Rice (follow package instructions)

1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1 Cup Half & Half (there goes my hips again!)

2 Tablespoons Dry Sherry (I do not add this ingredient myself. Why mess with a great thing?)

Snipped Chives (I leave this out too; mainly because I never have any on hand)

Cubed COOKED Chicken (how ever much you'd like)

Melt butter in a saucepan.

Sauté Onion until tender.

Blend in Flour.

Gradually stir in Chicken Broth.

Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Once it begins to boil, continue to boil and stir for 1 minute.

Stir in Chicken, Rice and Salt.

Simmer about 5 minutes.

Blend in Half & Half and Sherry (again, I've never had wild rice soup with the sherry in it so do not know how it would taste).

Heat to serving temperature.

Makes: 5 1/2 Cups

Personally, if I'm using oyster crackers, I leave it a little on the runny side. If not, I thicken a little bit more (with flour). You'll figure out what you prefer as you make it.

Also, if it tastes a bland, just add a bit more salt. As I recall, I need to add more salt when I'm making it.

Some people add Mushrooms; much to my horror ;)

ENJOY!!!!

Oh, wow, Amy... I haven't had wild rice soup in AGES! I'm salivating just at reading the recipe!

My mom's family is from northern MN (Birdville/Northome/Grand Rapids; Dad's is from central/Milaca). Mom's side of the family held ricing permits for YEARS... although I don't think many of my cousins have kept it up. At any rate, here I sat out in California, convinced that EVERYONE had wild rice as a regular side-dish, several times a week! We always had three or four two-quart jugs of the stuff in the cupboard... a constant supply shipped out from our MN kinfolk. It was such a SHOCK when I moved out on my own, went to the store to buy some wild rice, and found that it was rationed out in tiny little one-cup containers that cost as much as a good steak!

They're now farming wild rice in CA, so prices are more reasonable... but I SWEAR you can taste the difference, and it is NOT the same as the "real thing."

In our family, we don't use the chives, but we add diced carrots (and I threw in some diced parsnips once and liked it); we use the sherry if we happen to have some around but don't make a special point of buying it just for a couple of tablespoons for the soup. I like the sherry... there's not enough to throw the taste off, to me... the alcohol cooks off, if you add it a little earlier in the cooking time, and all that's left is a certain depth of flavor.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane... boy, I wish I could have been with you guys!

The big question for CAT is.....When weren't you being silly?

I'm so glad to hear that Cheryl will be able to join us next year. And Marilyn. and........? Anyone else want to commit yet?

We might have to take up a collection to get Cat and Ruth back. That airfare has to be enormous.

We need some Brits to join us and represent their side of the pond.

Ally needs to come from S A also.

Thanks Amy,

I'll have to buy the ingredients this week and try it. It was so good at the conference.

Thanks Amy,

I'll have to buy the ingredients this week and try it. It was so good at the conference.

Me too - no mushrooms, wine maybe.

JudyH

The pics are great and we are missing you all so much and talk about you all the time.

Tammie, we are still stuggling to get over the flight and Cat picked up a nasty bug the last couple of days and is very unwell. (*cough* I'll be ok *cough cough*) she can be such a bloke sometimes !!!

Neal, I am working on Atlanta, the good new is we came in under budget on this trip (must have been Y'awl buying our drinks) so that is going straight into next years fund. The second piece of good news is we over the last few years I have accumulated enough frequent flyer points for a return flight to SF or NY so I guess we are close to half way with a year to save.

Won't commit just yet but it is looking very good.

If we all make it this time I hope we can arrange some extra days together as the conference was so busy it didn't leave enough social time for us together.

Better write a new budget today :D

Ruth

Thanks Amy

I'll have to see if i can recreate the taste here. We get wild Rice but it comes from Aisia

Thanks also for the wonderful time and laughs. We never did get a chance to finish that conversation so I hope we both get there next year!!!

Or maybe we can take it offline :unsure: :P

Ruth

P.S. 'SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM'

I agree, Ruth. We need some down time together just to be extra silly. Looking at those pictures makes me miss everyone. I miss everyone and look forward to the time when we can all be together again. I'm glad you're going to make it Cheryl and you too Marilyn. Everybody starting saving up!