Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
kimgalvin

Bilat BK bicycle riding

Trying to ride my bike - but feet keep slipping off and legs seem to be too long - also they don't bend far enough. Sure some of you guys must ride bikes so any bilateral bks who do, please let me know how you overcame these things. Cheers

Trying to ride my bike - but feet keep slipping off and legs seem to be too long - also they don't bend far enough. Sure some of you guys must ride bikes so any bilateral bks who do, please let me know how you overcame these things. Cheers

Hi Kimgalvin

I know the problem your having. I have only one leg missing but the problem is similar. A group of us went from work to a place in Derbyshire where we rented bokes. I used a bike with hand pedals which was better than nothing.

P

Hi,

Years ago, I used to ride my bike alot in the summer. I had to raise the seat higher than I needed to accomodate for the legs seeming long. You tend to shift a bit more side to side than normal to. Yes, your feet will occassionally slip off the pedals, but it's ok, you just have to be aware of it. There are pedal adapters to keep your feet on the pedals, but I was afraid my feet would get stuck & I wouldn't get them out if I needed to. Still, it's an individual choice. My residual limbs are kinda short & I tended to pull out of my sockets a bit. I don't really ride anymore. I would think that perhaps if you used the pin system, it would keep you locked in. I've seen the bikes you pedal with your arms, but never tried them. Basically, it's possible you just have to make some changes to keep you comfortable. :)

Linda

Hi Kim

I've got problems with my pelvis as well as being bilateral, so I've never tried cycling...not yet anyway! :) But, I thought you may find this website helpful.

Lizzie :)

Bill may pipe in here, but have you thought of using a recumbent trike? I'm saving my $$ for one!

Hi, Kim

I use to ride a lot before my amp, but probably not enough, or I might have avoided joining our little club. I haven’t tried to ride an upright since. I got a recumbent trike, that’s it up in the corner, to get around on figuring it would be a lot easier getting on and off of, which it is, but found out keeping my foot on the pedal was the biggest problem. Just would not stay in place. I tried clips and tore them up in the first mile; I strapped my foot down with a bungee cord, which did work, but made getting off awkward, and don’t think a strap would work at all on an upright.

For me it was just to keep riding. By the time I had 30-40 miles on the bike I found that I no longer lost track of where my foot was and could get a feel for the pedal by the feel of the bottom of my stump. I still slip off once in a while, an unexpected bump in the road or a hole, but feel a lot more in control. I’ve got an upright stationary bike at home and even with 1800 miles on the recumbent in the last 2+ years I still find my foot falling off of it.

Toe clips might help you on the upright and just getting more miles in. Maybe a strap on one side at a time might help get each foot to get some tactile sense of the pedal. Wish I could be of more help.

-Bill

I did try to ride a bike soon after my amputation but being above knee I found it very difficult. I used toe clips so that I could help the other side with my good leg but it took quite a lot of energy. I did about half a mile and then came home when I was confronted with a hill.

On a more personal nature if I may, it did not do me any favours in the private region as the one nearest my socket got bitten a few times. :o

I also got the artificial foot stuck in the toe clips and went over a couple of times when I had to come to a stop. After that I decided to give the bicycling a miss.

it did not do me any favours in the private region as the one nearest my socket got bitten a few times.

:blink: :o :angry: ouch!!!

post-155-1150465908_thumb.jpg

it did not do me any favours in the private region as the one nearest my socket got bitten a few times. :o

Thank goodness for motorbikes, nothing can run fast enough to bite you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Guest bearlover

I think pedel extenders may help. I also have the same problem. I was advised to try pedel extenders.

I am a LBK that rides a bike regularly. The most secure pedals I have found for the purpose you describe are MTB (Mountain Bike) of a type we used to call bear traps because of their teeth and the resemblance to a trap. Performance bikes list one as Forte MTB Comp, and Nashbar lists one Nashbar Jaws ATB Pedal. I hope this helps and you can keep riding because I think it is the best exercice an amputee can do.

I've just recently started cycling and have found quite a few usefull things that may help.

The biggest and best is a wonderfull company in Wales called Highpath, they make bits to fit/alter bikes to help people with disablities and injuries.

Check this out http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/special/swingcrank.html it made my mouth drop the simplicity of it. Should have one of these arriving in a couple of weeks.

As far as feet slipping off go you can either use proper cycling shoes with spd pedals that you click into, or clipons...I went with the clipons so i can wear what I want to on my feet.

I went with these, well one for myself and find it great http://www.cyclesuk.com/productindex.aspx....traps/ptId/1310

And lastly for cycle glasses and a computer for trip information and such check out Aldi's glasses 2.99 and cycle comp 12.99 and it's wireless with a heartrate monitor :)

Oh yea, I also went for a full suspencion bike as I knew I'd be spending most of my time sitting down so wanted it as comfy as possible.

Hope that helps, any Q's just yell.

Had a slight setback in that I hadn't noticed me seat ahd dropped 1.5 inches till after two sessions I had an open sore and a skin split appear...lots of TLC and 2 days and it's pretty much ok now.

But what I did while waiting was fish out on of my old isaros (sp) sleevs and cut it down so it's same shape and size as the socket, now I have a very short stump but even with the sleev being only 4-5 inches long it still holds like a limpet as long as the stumps clean. Over this I put a silk sock then muy normal slection to make the fit good. I've found this has really eased up the pressure on the back of my knee due to the sleeve bunching up back there is much more comfortable.

I wouldn't use this tiny sleeve for day to day stuff but for riding it's fab, just need to get a spare pin from somewhere save keep swapping it around.

Unless I'm cracking up this has been moved....any reason why as it seems relevant to everyone no matter where they are?

But what I did while waiting was fish out on of my old isaros (sp) sleevs and cut it down so it's same shape and size as the socket, now I have a very short stump but even with the sleev being only 4-5 inches long it still holds like a limpet as long as the stumps clean. Over this I put a silk sock then muy normal slection to make the fit good. I've found this has really eased up the pressure on the back of my knee due to the sleeve bunching up back there is much more comfortable.

I wouldn't use this tiny sleeve for day to day stuff but for riding it's fab, just need to get a spare pin from somewhere save keep swapping it around.

I'm really glad you posted this, the liner bunching up in the back is a big problem on a bike. I've got a tadpole trike, and I think I'll just cut the back out of an old liner, leaving the front part longer than the back for a little more grip. Or maybe cut a hole at the knee-bend in the back. Thanks for the idea.

Doh...can't edit your posts.

Here's some links from that website but there well hidden.

http://www.amputee-online.com/amputee/onyerbike.html

http://www.onelegtim.com/

http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/2002/transalp/html/

Found another interesting item.

http://www.fiveten.com/

Select product then freeride, you should now be looking at "Ten Five Impacts" These I've been told are the grippiest shoes ever, so if you don't fancy using toe clips, these would be the next best thing to try.

Checkout one review here.

http://www.ferryhillfreeriders.co.uk/crash...ews/fiveten.htm

Its worth flicking through the other reviews and reading them some of the comments are great :)

Guest bearlover

Would a peddel extender help? As I'm a LBK and want to ride my mountian bike but when I do..MY peosthetic leg keeps slipping off too. :o

I have been riding a bike since 1989, I am a rbk, and once you get into it, you'll be surprised how easy it is, I sometimes ride 30 miles, the main problem I have is a very steep hill, but I try anyway, sometimes I make, it sometimes I don't, depends on where in the ride it is, towards the end, it's very hard. I use a sealing sleeve, and have some issue with that slipping due to perspiration, can't seem to find a way around that, that is effective. I use clipless pedals, but that would probably take some getting used to for a bilat. Try and do a spin class to get accustomed to riding, that is where I got used to the clipless pedals, since you don't have to worry about falling off the bike, I still go, got into it!

Would a peddel extender help? As I'm a LBK and want to ride my mountian bike but when I do..MY peosthetic leg keeps slipping off too. :o

Do you mean your foot keeps coming off the pedal, or you prosthesis keeps slipping off? If it's your foot slipping off the pedal, definitely get some clipless pedals and shoes, works great for me.

Guest bearlover

oops! Imean my foot keeps comming off the peddle! I have a lock in pin system, so the prosthetic is almost impossible to come off unless I push the release putton. ;)