Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kimbo48

Hello Everyone

Hi everyone. I am a 48 yr old male and live in the North of England and i am a left leg, below the knee amputee. It is four month's since my operation, and on Tuesday (27.6.06) i am going for the fitting of my prosthetic leg. I live on my own and the day's can be long!! so hopefully, not anymore now i a have found this site. :)

Welcome Kimbo 48

What do they call you? My names Jim, and I'm glad to see you on board. I'm sure that by now, you've gotten aquainted with most by just reading, but they will all be around to say hello. It's a good group of people here. Come and join in the fun. It's not all seriousness, but is definitely there when needed to be, which is the primary purpose. We are all very serious about this - but try not to take ourselves too seriously on occasion.

I Look forward to your input.

We are all very serious about this - but try not to take ourselves too seriously on occasion.

Jim's the serious one by the way ... :D

Welcome Kimbo, which part of the North are you from?

Hi Kimbo and welcome to the forum :D

My name is Afet and I've been a bilateral below knee amputee since July 2003.

Join in when you can and enjoy it here! B)

Hi, Kimbo...

Welcome aboard! I'm cherylm... LBK for coming up on 18 months (in August). The others are right... this is a good group of people, and this forum is so fast-moving and active that I'm sure your days will be going MUCH faster now! I hadn't found this place back when I was at the point you are now, and I remember all too well how the time could just DRAG ON!

Fitting time... how exciting! You'll have to keep us all posted on your progress.

Again, welcome!

Hey Kimbo.

Welcome...I'm sure we can provide you with some interesting reading. Keep an open mind & have fun. I hear there are some rules....but I've never read them. ;)

Good luck with your fitting.

Linda

I hear there are some rules....but I've never read them. ;)

Linda

They are listed at the top of each page under INVISION POWER BOARD, next Heather Mills McCartney. Just click on Forum Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers.

They seem to me to be just based on the basic principles of common sense. No more - no less.

Kimbo

Welcome to the forum. I'm a LBK since November 2005, but until recently had an MRSA in my stump. They installed a Porta-Cath and I've had months of Vancomycin. the bug is gone and I'm scheduled for my first visit to the leg man on July 17.

I'm in Northern California (Oroville), which is about 60 miles north of Sacramento.

Gil Davis

Kimbo, Welcome

Dave here, almost one year (7/10) into this RBK. This place can be real funny sometimes, but if you have a serious question, people here will help you out. B)

Hi Kimbo. Welcome to the forum.

They seem to me to be just based on the basic principles of common sense. No more - no less.

Not implying that I lack common sense Jim...are you? :P

Linda

Kimbo

Welcome. The people helped me a lot when I was going through the same as you. I am also a lbk since April 05. Just over a year now.

Good luck with your fitting. I remember my first leg so well. It was the first in a long line of experiences, most of them for the better.

Rachel

Welcome Kimbo,

I think that you will find that there are a pretty good bunch of people here on the forum. I'm sure that it will make your days just a little shorter...it sure did mine...

Higgy

Not implying that I lack common sense Jim...are you? :P

Linda

I never IMPLY Linda, but you said that you haven't read them, so this definitely would not apply to you anyway. It's the RULES that I said were common sense. (Not saying that you also don't have common sense, because...... that would not be very sensible of me........ commonly speaking. You know what I mean?)

Whew!!!! ;) ;)

See Kimbo, it doesn't take long to get in trouble. Now, I'm probably going to be in the dog house for trying to hijack this thread. You would think that at my age, (69) that I would have learned better by now. :lol: :lol: :lol: As we all said earlier - welcome.

Welcome to the silly side of here. They say that laughter is the best medicine - since I believe that to be true...... then, this is also the right place to be.

Welcome Kimbo, enjoy your time on this site.

Good luck with your fittings etc. It will take time to get everything you want so be patient.

Best wishes Mike.

Welcome Kimbo, enjoy your time on this site.

Good luck with your fittings etc. It will take time to get everything you want so be patient.

Best wishes Mike.

Thanks everyone, for a warm welcome. I hope to be spending quite a bit of time on here, and i agree with you Mike about being patient.

I live in Huddersfield Muz, are you in the North too, I have noticed there is quite a lot of postings from the states. I must try and remember the time difference's when posting. :)

I live in Huddersfield Muz, are you in the North too

No, I was just being nosey :lol: . I live on the South Coast in Dorset

Kimbo, we're quite an "international" bunch! Don't even TRY to sort out the time zones... it'll make you crazy. (Just look at the rest of us!) Post when you want, read when it's convenient, and don't be surprised if the forum "gets active" at some times that seem unnatural to you... we all just muddle along with the time zones as best we can!

Hi everyone

Well it's just over a week now since i went for my fitting. Everthing is going fine, there's a bit of rubbing and soreness here and there!! but, i am told it will go away in a few weeks time?. At the moment , i am trying to run before i can walk!! and i never thought it would be so hard to learn how to walk again. Is it me? or was any body else the same!!. Something that one of the nurse's said to me today, hit the nail on the head!! she said," It probalbly took you eighteen month's to learn how to walk, so just give it time". I thought she is so right, its nearly six month's since i was last walking; but i am happy with the progress i have made, and it help's by coming on here and to be able to identify so much with other people.

Best wishes Kimbo.

Kimbo, it IS a process... even the best prosthesis will not work the same was as a human leg. (Perfectly WELL, perhaps, but not "the same.")

My first "walk outdoors," for example, was about 20 yards, from my front door to my mailbox, leaning heavily on my walker, more-or-less dragging my new leg behind me! Then I sat and rested for about 10 minutes and repeated the process, in reverse. I was exhausted for the rest of the day. Today, I can laugh at that picture... at the time, I was embarrassed and frustrated.

You're using muscles in a brand-new way in order to move that new leg around, and it will take them a while to figure out what they're supposed to be doing. If I'm any sort of reasonable example, it may "just happen" when you least expect it: after a few weeks of "drag the leg around," I set out on one of my treks to the mailbox... and suddenly everything fell into place and I was truly WALKING. I understood how I was supposed to move the prosthesis, I felt the "mechanics" of my foot helping me out... it was wonderful!

I lost my rhythm and alignment just a few yards later... but having experienced it once, i was able to start building on that, until "real walking" was part of my life again.

It's especially hard when they're still fitting, and adjusting, and generally "changing' the leg every time you wear it. So hang in there and keep at it... you WILL get there!

G'day Kimbo I was away when you joined so it's a late welcome from me. :P

Hope the socket is going ok

Cat

Hi Kimbo48

Welcome Aboard.

Hope you enjoy it here, its fabulous.

Take care and Enjoy

Lesley