Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sanicki

Melting Pot Of Ideas...

Hey,

Jim T gave me the idea when he described the forum as a melting pot of ideas. I got to thinking, that over the years I've made my own personal adjustments to both my prosthesis as well as to adjustments in the way I do things as an amp.

One example, is I placed a bath sponge trimmed to fit the bottom of my insert. It filled the void & compressed just enough to make the insert more comfortable. The suggessted plastic bag, didn't work for me. I'm sure it's fine for others...just didn't do it for me.

So, that's the point of the topic. Not to insinuate people change what THEY do or how THEY do it. Just simply, have you come across something that has made your prosthetic more comfortable or the day to day aspects of life less compromised.

Linda

Guest bearlover

When I need to wear socks. Not prosthetic one's but socks that we wear on our feet. I put a knee high over the foot, before I but my sock on. It makes it much easer to put on over the rubber like skin. I cut the knee high down like a footie, And my sock slides right over it. No more struggling. And for narrow pants I will pre -dress the leg. Or put on my prosthetic with the shoe on, slip a plastic bag over the shoe and slide on the pants. works really good! ;)

When I need to wear socks. Not prosthetic one's but socks that we wear on our feet. I put a knee high over the foot, before I but my sock on. It makes it much easer to put on over the rubber like skin. I cut the knee high down like a footie, And my sock slides right over it. No more struggling. And for narrow pants I will pre -dress the leg. Or put on my prosthetic with the shoe on, slip a plastic bag over the shoe and slide on the pants. works really good! ;)

To go along with this, I put my sock and shoe on my prosthesis first, (resting the foot on my good knee, and holding the prosthesis with my chin in the socket). When my shoe is on, I then put my pant leg down over my prosthesis. From the top down. Then I put my sock on my good foot. Next I put the leg (prosthetic), on, and pull my pants up. and finally, the shoe on my good foot. It makes it quick and simple for me.

One example, is I placed a bath sponge trimmed to fit the bottom of my insert. It filled the void & compressed just enough to make the insert more comfortable.

I don't understand. Would you please explain insert? I'm all for trying anything that helps.

don't understand. Would you please explain insert?

Most of you wear liners...I still wear an insert. It's like a liner, kind of old school prosthetics. They mostly are made from a material called Plite.(a more rigid foam type). Looks like the shape of your socket that fits over your socks. You wear a sheath, (nylon) then your wool socks & over that goes the insert. Then you put on the socket. Like I said Old School, but is done me well for years. I keep trying to use a system with a liner...but like I said...trying. :huh: :)

Got 'cha. Thanks for the explanation.

don't understand. Would you please explain insert?

Most of you wear liners...I still wear an insert. It's like a liner, kind of old school prosthetics. They mostly are made from a material called Plite.(a more rigid foam type). Looks like the shape of your socket that fits over your socks. You wear a sheath, (nylon) then your wool socks & over that goes the insert. Then you put on the socket. Like I said Old School, but is done me well for years. I keep trying to use a system with a liner...but like I said...trying. :huh: :)

Like you Linda, I wear an insert also. The only major difference is that I do not wear the nylon next to my leg/stump. My 5 ply Knit Rite wool sock goes on first, (after the powder), then my insert, (which has the wedge built into the left "ear"), then I put the nylon over it, then the leg. Being a man, I am not accustomed to nylons on for one, but the reason for it over the insert is to help it slide into - and out of - the leg easier. I have always worn it this way.

I have tried the other methods - once - and have always come back to the SuprCondulyr Suspension. It works for me

Hey Jim,

We have alot in common. You do need to use the nylon on the outside to get in the socket. Me...at this point I have about 10 plies of sock on the outside of the left & 12 plies on the outside of the right. Self explanantory as to why I am really ready for some new ones. They were supracondular too, but during my first pregnacy I ripped that edge off the insert & used a sleeve to hold it on. Add that to my melting pot. :D

Linda

Here's mine. I don't know anybody else that does it this way though :huh:

........started out as a three, but that 2-ply gremlin crept in somewhere between the check socket and

You've got them critters too? We always try for a three, but wind up with a 5. Oh well, I'm used to it now. If I tried for a 5, we'd probably get an 8.