Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sunshine

What Is Your Occupation?

Hello everyone,

Sorry i have not been on for a while, i have been busy. We are in the middle of moving house and i seem to be at the limb centre, physio or working out every day!!!!

I am due to start a Radiography Degree in September 2006. But i am worried about standing (pottering from here to there) for long periods. In Feb 2007 i will have to stand for 8 hours for 8 weeks (Placement). It has been just over 5 months sinve i started wearing my prosthetic leg (above knee). I am using 1-2 sticks and standing is worse than my walking.

So my question is "what is your occupation and is it full time or part time?"

and do you think i am doing this too soon?

Love Yvonne

xx :rolleyes:

I am using 1-2 sticks and standing is worse than my walking.

Love Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

First off - After 18 years, I find that still, standing is worse than walking. While walking, the muscle flexes, pumping the blood and fluids out of the stump and circulating them. Standing still has a tendancy for the stump to swell, (Just as the feet do for people who work in professions where they just stand all day.)

It is also harder for me to kneel - as in laying tile, or working on other floor projects. Prosthetic legs were meant for "walking"[/i] - as I see it.

As for occupation - I am a retired California General Building Contractor, specializing in, (but not limited to), home remodel and add on's, such as family rooms, kitchens and bathrooms.

I am using 1-2 sticks and standing is worse than my walking.

Love Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

First off - After 18 years, I find that still, standing is worse than walking. While walking, the muscle flexes, pumping the blood and fluids out of the stump and circulating them. Standing still has a tendancy for the stump to swell, (Just as the feet do for people who work in professions where they just stand all day.)

It is also harder for me to kneel - as in laying tile, or working on other floor projects. Prosthetic legs were meant for "walking" - as I see it.

As for occupation - I am a retired California General Building Contractor, specializing in, (but not limited to), home remodel and add on's, such as family rooms, kitchens and bathrooms.

I had to retire (disability) shortly before my amp because of the illness that actually caused the amp. I worked in the federal court for 17 years; 8 in the US Clerk's Office and 9 as the administrator for a judge. Now, I am a domestic goddess :P

BTW, Yvonne, standing is harder for me too. As long as I'm walking I'm okay for a while but the standing around - can't do it much.

Hi Yvonne,

Firstly I don't think there are any right or wrong answers as to if you are doing things too soon because we are all so different, different reasons for amputations, different ages, different levels of amputation etc. etc. So probably when you feel it is right, it will be right. Also, standing, I have personally found is always more difficult than walking, I find I too need to keep the limbs moving.

Also, Jim, about the kneeling, I am below knee, and find some limbs let me kneel and others don't, it depends how they are made, not sure if this also applies to a/k.

Actually, I sort of hesitate about answering these type of questions, a bit like the activity one posted before this, as people may compare themselves with others and as i said before we are all different. However, I like you Marie like to think of myself as a domestic goddess. I have been an amputee for many years now and have done many jobs, full time, part time, before children, after children etc. etc. At the moment I spend my time looking after the house, gardening, voluntary work and studying, and never seem to have a spare minute.

Anyway good luck with your degree Yvonne.

Ann

I WAS a furniture mover/driver for moving companies for 25 years before my accident and decided to get out of the business so I was unemployed at the time of my accident. Within a year I will be looking for a job. I think I will look for a warehouse job because I like working around trucks and the shipping industry. I have no idea what I will be faced with concerning my amputation and being hired. I will really have to prove to the employers that I can do the job but, I have always given my employers 110% because thats the way I was raised. ( I'm a 3rd generation trucker) I'm a hard worker so I have high hopes for my future employment. B)

Guest bearlover

I'm a teaching assistant in a kindergarten class room. For a elementary school I was a pre-school teacher for many years. The kids are great Many queations about my leg :P Some are rather funny :D

Yvonne, I'm an executive secretary by trade... have worked for a school district, as the assistant to a cabinet-level director, for nearly 25 years now. The amp slowed me down some, and I've had to devise some different schedules and ways of doing some things... but overall, I do well at work.

I may be odd here: I actually don't have much trouble standing for substantial periods of time, as long as I'm not just standing at rigid attention. However, I prefer being up and down, sitting, standing, and walking around, with a pretty even emphasis on all of those activities.

As for your plans, if you're feeling reasonably confident, I say go ahead and give it a try! The worst that can happen is that you discover some things you need to work on before you try again... the best is that you get into a career you can enjoy!

I do know a BKA who has a "stand all day" job... his one "concession" to his amp status is that he's VERY particular about his suspension system: he wears both a pin system AND a suspension sleeve over that, so he's sure he's 'secure" at all times. And he's careful to allow time, mid-day, to "disassemble," add socks, dry off, etc....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I have three jobs. I've delivered our local newspaper for 34 years. It is a commercial route so I have only 11 stops. I've been a hairstylist for 26 years. I stand all day which doesn't bother me most days. I'm usually moving around the chair quite a bit while cutting or coloring. Perming is another thing. Standing still for 45 minutes while wrapping a perm will result in pain by the end of the day. I got my real estate license since losing my leg because I just couldn't see being able to stand all day to cut hair.

Like someone above said.....It depends on several things. A good fitting leg, paying attention to what your limb is telling you, i.e. adding socks, sitting for a bit, etc. Good general health. I have my knee so that may make a huge difference in ability to stand for long periods.

P.S. You domestic goddesses make me sick. :P :P My wife won't hear of me sitting around the house. She always has a long list of things that need to be done.

Thank you all for your replies.

I am thinking at the moment that there will be no way that i could do the degree. I cannot see myself standing for that long.

Cherylm - I do not feel confident :( . I know i have done well with physio Etc. but i do not think i could get up to that standard by February. There is a part time option available, so do year 1 over 2 years. I am maybe thinking i could do this, not sure.

Love Yvonne

xx :blink:

P.S. You domestic goddesses make me sick. :P :P My wife won't hear of me sitting around the house. She always has a long list of things that need to be done.

Get ready to be severely beaten :o What makes you think domestic goddesses sit around the house????

P.S. You domestic goddesses make me sick. My wife won't hear of me sitting around the house. She always has a long list of things that need to be done.

Oh Neal....I was liking you up till now. Domestic goddess or household engineer....either description...still describes an uappreciated understated job description. I have worked outside the home & presently am in the profession that you describe. I admit, the outside work, had more benefits, shorter hours & more pay. It's a job that could be filled by most any inquiring potential employee. My present positon however, is a position that requires unique qualifications. It is a job that most men profess an aversion to being able to handle & as you have made it sound, a job that requires very little. I would suggesst that in the future you rethink the comment. Is your wife employed? Do you have children? I would love to work, but insurance issues are what have made me leave the work force. I do however, raise my boys, car pool to basketball or baseball & all that goes with sports mom duties, I cook, clean, paint, I've dry walled & installed flooring, I cut grass & helped build a retaing wall, I maintain my car, pay the bills, look out for my parents & their needs, involved in school organizations, shall I go on. All this minus 2 legs. Although I was married for most, I still felt like a single parent so it's not been much of a change. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I know you didn't mean to come off condescending & I don't mean to sound mean. I just couldn't let this one slide by. Please don't be mad. :(

Linda

Yvonne, the "half-time" program might be an option! I've generally found it's better if I work up to some new skill gradually, starting out limiting my time at it and progressing from there.

Would it be possible for you to "shadow" someone who is currently doing the program? Or perhaps talk to one of the instructors about the physical abilities and endurance the program requires? Then you could try to replicate those conditions at home and start building your stamina BEFORE starting the program.

Confidence often comes from DOING -- even it it's "doing badly" at first. As your attempts are more successful, your confidence increases.

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

I forgot to say that I only work in the AM class. That is just enough with my leg. I manage to sit as much as I'm able to. I can't stand very long without pain.... :)

....either description...still describes an uappreciated understated job description.

I don't care what title you have, but in our 47 years of marriage, I have held three jobs at a time, (during the early years), while my wife stayed home to raise our 4 children.

I have always worked hard all of my life, mostly starting and running my own businesses or small corporations.

But, I have to tell you. There is no way that I can keep up with my wife. And that was when I had two legs and circulation. Today, I still do a lot for the shape I'm in, but "it ain't nuttin'", compared to the day that she puts in around here.

God knew what he was doing when he made me a male - that is for sure. I wouldn't trade places with you ladies for anything

I wouldn't trade places with you ladies for anything

And that kind of understanding & appreciation for eachother is the reason you've been happily married for 47 years. :wub:

I wouldn't trade places with you ladies for anything

And that kind of understanding & appreciation for eachother is the reason you've been happily married for 47 years. :wub:

I am with Linda and Jim on this one, sit around the house, I never heard the like.

I am a loss adjuster. My time is generally mixed between being on site, behind the wheel or behind a desk.

With reference to you "domestic engineers" I continue to be in awe of my Lucy looking after the house and our three young daughters. I have had to trade places on the odd day she is away or ill and believe me it is the hardest job in the world.

I live and work on a farm. It is a small family farm but it has cattle,crops, and horses... I'm always doing something outside...

I also am a tax preparer (now let's all make those funny faces.... :o :wub::huh: ) and sit at a desk for 4 months of year, and for the time I am taking further classes....

To this day, anything where I am just standing still gets the best of me. However, I also had a very bad accident that resulted in my amputation.... I am finding with this post that the fact that I don't stand is very common... That's nice to know I guess...Also, my amputation was 4 years ago.

I think that ultimately, we each have to find our own. What works for one,most likely, never works for the next person......

I understand your concerns, and I hope that things will work out for you.... just remember, you are still pretty fresh at this, so it's hard to sometimes judge yourself against the next person....

Tammie

Hey Marcia......... I'll hold Neal while you beat him with a HUGE stick for the domestic godess crack!

Bet I can do it too!

Thanks again for all your input, you do not know how much it helps me (well you will :) )

It is amazing how alone you can feel even when people are around. I am probably having one of them days!!!

I am waiting to go for a meeting with my tutor. I just wish Radiography involved a bit of sitting down, CT and MRI are but you have to do a few years of general radiography first.

Yes, you are right, i have lost my confidence. I am pleased with what i have done since my amputation, i just feel i am not as good as other people, and i do not want to be the one behind in the degree.

Love Yvonne

xx :wub:

Thanks Higgy,

That is what i am starting to think, that if i have to stand all day (I think i could get a perch stool in), that it is just impossible in the long run.

I may be odd here: I actually don't have much trouble standing for substantial periods of time, as long as I'm not just standing at rigid attention. However, I prefer being up and down, sitting, standing, and walking around, with a pretty even emphasis on all of those activities.

I don't tend to have a problem with standing for too long either. Normally if I get tired from walking, I'll stand and rest my weight on my prosthesis to give my good leg a rest. Another option is to take a crutch rather than a stick so you can rest your weight on that and give your leg a rest if need be.

Hey, Kev... someone else who "rests" standing on their prosthesis! People look at me so oddly when I say I do that!

Without fail (as long as my socket is fitting reasonably well), my "real" foot/leg will give out on me LONG before the prosthesis does... so if I'm standing for a long period, I'll do so with as much of my weight as I can manage resting on the prosthetic side.

A crutch or small stool probably would help a lot with the "standing" issue, Yvonne. I'm not trying to pressure you at all... just want to be sure that you've explored all the options before making a decision!