Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
anne.brook

The journey has now begun

Boy, am I jealous!

You're out there walking around with one stick and I don't have me leg yet.

Seriously, everything is sounding (and looking) good. I'm so glad that you're doing so well. :ph34r:

Now, if I were single and about 30 years younger I'd be on a plane, cause I know how to drive on "the other side" of the road. :blink:

As you become even more active, I'm sure you'll find that walking takes a LOT more energy. As a BK, it takes me a fair bit of extra energy. The other concern is falling. If you've been looking at some of the posts, you'll find that it happens. The best advice I can give you is to learn how to fall so that you only bruise your dignity. The only places that teach that (that I'm aware of) are Karate schools. I've never heard of any Physio's teaching that, although it should be part of our curriculum. So, maybe you could find a cute Karate instructor and get a few tips? :unsure::rolleyes::ph34r:

We are all SOOO proud of you!

Ditto, Kiddo! LOL

Stumped!

Gil, behave yourself lol :lol: . I hope your wife is watching you.

Victoria had a really good, traditional English sunday roast today. She didn't eat a huge amount, but had some of each of the items I cooked for her, so thing are getting better and better.

She has decided to stay at her own house tonight with her daughter. I am nervous for her, but I know that she really wants to start to make it on her own. She knows that I'm only at the end of a telephone line, and only live under 3 minutes away from her if she needs me.

Any idea when you are due to get your leg Gil? They certainly seem to get them sooner here in U.K. One guy who had a BKA had his leg and was walking without sticks within 3 weeks. He had his amp a week after Victoria and now doesn't even go to physio any more.

Well done Victoria

you go gal!! :rolleyes:

Another excellent day. Victoria is walking almost all day now with only one stick. At physio today she went up and down stairs several times.

I have just made her a 4 egg omelette and she has eaten the lot.

She will be re-cast tomorrow and that should sort out the fit problem.

So, all in all, things are going well. :D :D :D

Hi Keith,

Just noticed that you are also from Lincolnshire. Not sure where in Lincs. you are, but Victoria and I live in Crowland, near Spalding.

Thank you Bear. You have been a constant source of support for both Victoria and I since before her amp.

Hi Keith,

Just noticed that you are also from Lincolnshire. Not sure where in Lincs. you are, but Victoria and I live in Crowland, near Spalding.

That right Anne we spoke some time ago I live near Lincoln. Glad to see things are looking up for you all.

Hi all,

It's been a while since either Victoria or I have posted here, but things have been a bit tough for her.

Physically the leg fit has hindered her, but she was re-cast last week, and gets her new socket next Wednesday. Hopefully that will cheer her up a bit.

She has been referred to a clinic about her eating problems, simply because she is still losing weight at the rate of around 2 kilos a week.

She would dearly love to return to her own home, but financially, that just isn't possible fer her at the moment.

It isn't all bad, and she is looking forward to getting her new socket and getting on with walking again.

She is already walking up and down stairs quite steadily, and is only using one stick, which she wants to get rid of as soon as possible.

Guest bearlover

Ann, I truly know how discourging it can be, as far as getting a good fitting socket. It took be a long time before They finally got it right : I was shrinking really fast at first, But it really took me 3 years to finally stableize. :unsure: I had a lot of sockets and had to be cated often :angry: . It can really bring you down if you let it. I kept forging ahead and finally got it right, Tell Vicki to hang in their it is a very fustrating thing to go through. But in the end it will be ok..Honest! ;)

Thanks for that Bear. The shrinkage this time was 9cm. I was surprised as just how much it could shrink in such a short time.

Sorry it's been a while since the last post, but wanted to wait until there was some positive news.

Victoria got her new socket on Wednesday, and she is on top of the world. Her leg is now comfortable and she is able to wear it for considerably more of the day.

She is spending less time at the hospital now as she only has physio thee times a week.This gives her more time to catch up with her friends, and even spend time in her own house.

Eating is still a problem for her, but sh really is trying hard. Her weight loss has been spiralling downwards since surgery, but this week she has put on over a kilo. One of the problems has been for the prosthesis guys to fing a belt small enough to go around her waist, but big enough to go round her leg, but with the latest shrinkage they have achieved this.

She is using only one stick all of th time now, and between the bars at the gym, has even tried without that.

All in all the last couple of weeks have been better for Victoria, and she is consciously trying to plan to get back to work and being self sufficient.

Guest bearlover

Sounds great Ann. Once she is back to work and around her peers she will feel better too. It sure is a long road don't you agree??? UGH!

Always glad to hear about Vicki's improvement. Keep up the good work!

Hi Anne/ Vicki

I haven't read any of your posts before today and as I read what you wrote I just sat here and cried my eyes out. I sometimes forget how hard it is on family members, as it happened to me not them. My Mum has found it very difficult and couldn't look at my leg as it upset her too much. I didn't know until I had been discharged from hospital that my partner who has never cried, cried every night and found it difficult to sleep. Family and friends tried very hard to keep their feelings to themselves because they didn't want to upset me but at the same time they were going through their own hell. It was so good to read from your point of view as a mother of an amputee. It made me very jealous of you Vicki with your new leg as even though my amputation was 24/03/2006 I still have to wait for a casting due to extensive skin grafts. I am so sorry Vicki about the personal problems that you have been experiencing as I can only imagine how this has affected you. I wish you both all the best and look forward to reading more of your postings.

Lisa

Hi Anne;

It's so good to hear such positive news about Victoria! You must all be very pleased, relieved, encouraged, and happy!

Keep it up! Those of us without a leg yet need to see such great propaganda!

Lisa - many of us know only too well the distress you're feeling now, but with love and time, it can bring loved ones even closer. I did all I could to help my loved ones deal with my difficult new reality, and while it was extra work for me, I was the only one who could reach into their distress and help them resolve a new way forward for us. Don't blame yourself - your challenges are as unbidden as theirs, and healing both physically and emotionally should be uppermost in everyone's minds; this needs to be seen as a joint project for everyone involved to extend their love and compassion and awareness. I wish you and everyone around you the very best for the future. All my love,

Roz, :)

Hi Lisa,

When I started this thread, I too was looking for support. I was finding it impossible to come to terms with the decision my daughter had made. My good friends here in the forum certainly afforded me that support.

They also showed me the errors of my ways, although at the time, I too cried, because it was so hard to follow their advice.

Victoria has begun to live her own life again, but practical issues mean that for the time being she lives back home with me. She went back to her own house yesterday morning, and I will pick her up tonight.

I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone, and must apologise if my ramblings made you go somewhere you weren't ready to go.

I really do understand how skin grafting can hold up progress. In the four years in which they were trying to save Victoria's leg, I would say that 25 to 30 operations that she had were for extensive grafts and flaps.

Just looking at some of the posts in the forum, I know that Victoria is very fortunate to have her leg and be walking with only one stick after only 3 months.

Victoria and I are lucky that we have each other, and although I know that she will continue to get more and more independent, we have both learned a lot over the last 4 years, and will never forget just how lucky we are. From my point of view I have the most beautiful, brave and gutsy daughter, and will continue to love and support her for just as long as she needs me.

Guest bearlover

Their are much worse things than amputation..Iam happy it is only a amputation and not something worse. I lost my leg to a life threating infection, I would not be here if I kept the leg. Iam not saying this is cake. It is very hard and very fustrating, and can be quite discourging at times for some. However, I feel it could be a heck of a lot worse!! ;)

Their are much worse things than amputation..Iam happy it is only a amputation and not something worse. I lost my leg to a life threating infection, I would not be here if I kept the leg. Iam not saying this is cake. It is very hard and very fustrating, and can be quite discourging at times for some. However, I feel it could be a heck of a lot worse!! ;)

Bear! Ditto Hun! .......ditto

Stumped

Guest bearlover

Bear! Ditto Hun! .......ditto

Stumped

Hey how are you Stumped?? Hope your doing well!! Thanks for your comment!!

Oh Bear, I agree too. Our whole family said at the time of Victoria's accident, that at least she is still alive. She hit a massive truck, head on, and lived to tell the tale. For that I thank the Lord every day.

Guest bearlover

Yes Ann, I just discussed this with my family this weekend. I have a huge family I come from 8 kids, with me being the youngest. My sisters all agreed that I would not be here if I choose to keep the leg. Of course I fell I had no choice. Sometimes I fell the amputation has made me worse but,. Iam very thankful that it is not something much worse. I hade a friend say "what could be more worse than loosing a leg?" :blink: I told her lots of things do you need a list? Limb loss is not the end of the world or life. It is a long road and can be quite fustrating and annoying. But I never give into those feelings and do try with all my fight to do what ever I can, I was raised to not to pity my self and to give it a fight.We can't slip into self-pity which can be easy to do. But we can't let the amputation or physically challanges stop us! No matter what!! You will see with your daughter Vicki. She will continue to amaze you. she has the fight in her and that is all she needs! ;)

Hi all

I apologise for not dropping in for a while but I am at last getting my life back after 4 yrs :D. I went to the rehab centre today to once again have my socket lined, it's sooooooooooooo frustrating i've only had it 2 wks.

Physio has been cut to twice a wk with a plan to discharge me by the end of Oct so i'm definately making progress in the right direction.

I'm off home on Friday for the wkend so hopefully mum can have a well earned break, with a view to making the full transistion home by the time i'm discharged from physio.

As mum mentioned Ialso aim to be back at work after christmas, I no it'll be tough initially but it's just the next stage to normality.

Thanks for all your aupport guys n girls. I will update you as things progress n check in more often.