Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Earl53

New person on board

I’d like to say hi to everyone. I stumbled onto this site by accident. I was looking for handicap bikers and found this site. I am a DBK of two and five years. I lost my right leg first in April of ’01, then my left leg in April of ’04. April is a bad month for me I guess. Tax time isn’t it where they take an arm and a leg. They must have been real greedy those years.

Anyway I was heading to Virginia Beach from New Hampshire and going down highway 95 on the NJ Turnpike and I saw a biker, also a DBK riding a two-wheeler towing a camper. I thought I would never be able to ride a two-wheeler until I saw him. I was very curious as to how he shifted the bike. I don’t have the movement it takes to do that. So when I got back home I did a search for handicap bikers and found all kinds of ways. I thought I might have to invest in a three-wheeler to ride again.

I was even considering building a trike myself using a car motor just so I could get out in the open air again. In case anybody is wondering I didn’t lose mine to a bike accident or anything. It was diabetes and lack of circulation. I had an infected toe back in 1994 and the infection lingered there until Christmas of 2000. Then it spread up in the leg over a period of a few months. I was being treated during those months but lack of circulation made me lose the battle.

While I was waiting to be accepted here I was reading the forum and now I’d like to go comment on some of them. So I’ll be around for a while and try to offer anything I’ve learned from this experience and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me anything. :)

Paul

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. The people here are wonderful and wise. My daughter only had her RAKA 2 days ago, and thanks to the friends here I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My daughter was a biker too, until her accident almost four years ago.

G'day Paul and welcome to the forum

Cat

Hello Paul

Welcome to the group. All kinds of questions will come in time, but from what I just read, I'm sure that you will have the answers to help many.

I do know what you mean about circulation. That has been my nemisis also. (without the diabetes - thank God).

Tax time isn’t it where they take an arm and a leg.

I'm bilateral (AK & BK) too & I thought that was my line, Paul! :P

No matter...Welcome to the forum! :D

Lizzie :)

Welcome to the forum, Paul. :D I'm a LAK since Aug. 2005, and I race motorcycles cross-country(over the hills and through the woods) You will enjoy it here. LOTS of amazing people!

Hullo!

RBK due to cancer and other obnoxiousness...

You'll get tons of info from our biker buddies and even more miscellaneous stuff from everyone else!

Hi there - welcome to the forum.

Another biker :blink: Ah well, you will be in good company here.

Enjoy your stay with us, nice to have you.

Ally

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

I am new to the site myself, and i'm still finding my way around.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the board..... I would be one of the lady bikers around here....

Been having a few problems with riding myself lately.. However.... it can be done...

The guys here will give lots of good infor for it....

Check out the March/April issue of InMotion by the ACA... there are a couple of articles on motorcycles and what is needed to help an amputee ride...

Higgy

Hi, Paul. Lots of bikers here, former and present. Glad you found us.

Hi Paul

It sounds like we're on opposite coasts. I'm in Northern California. Welcome to the forum ande I'll bet you'll be able to do most anything you want to do.

Gil Davis

post-1850-1152060588_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

Nice to read your story and hope i can do half as well as you.

Hi Paul:

Welcome, so glad you found this site. I don't post too much lately, but I always read.

I'm a LAK.

Lynne