Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sunshine

My Race For Life

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you all know how i got on at the Race For Life, Carlisle, 2/7/2006

I managed to do just over 3 km (2 miles) out of 5km. The most i have done once before was 1 mile. The local paper which i have included wrote a bit about me, i was very surprised. It might have had something to do with us being last from the start line and then everyone going home as i was still walking :blink::huh: .

I wore shorts (which is a first!) and surprisingly i was not bothered at all.

I wanted to say thank you to you all and this site because you have kept me going.

Love Yvonne

xx

P.S. I never blow my own trumpet but i am quite chuffed with myself :D :D :D

This is the article below=

4,000 RUNNERS BRAVE THE HEAT

Published on 03/07/2006

By Deborah Kuiper

A CROWD of organisers, helpers and ambulance staff gathered at the Race for Life finish to cheer Yvonne Lowery across the line.

They wanted to pay tribute to the courage and determination that enabled her to walk the course in spite of having lost a leg to cancer just months before.

The 31-year-old from Plumbland, who walked 3km of the 5km course, had her right leg amputated in November 2005 after cancer returned to her knee for a second time.

She has since undergone intensive physiotherapy and is learning to cope with a prosthetic leg. “I wanted to prove the cancer hadn’t beaten me and to show I was coming to terms with the prosthetic,” she said, “It has been difficult. This is a new leg and I have to learn to walk on it. My physiotherapist was very supportive when I said I was going to do it.”

At first, Wigton physiotherapist Jane Carr was worried that Yvonne had taken on too much as she was still getting used to a new leg. “I asked for advice and she said ‘don’t do it!’” Yvonne said.

Yvonne was accompanied by mother-in-law Marjorie Lowery and aunt Ann Kyle and greeted at the finish line by her husband Ben Lowery and father John Gradwell. She walked the course with a wheelchair in case the distance was too much for her.

“We brought the chair thinking she would want to be wheeled but she walked the whole way,” Mrs Lowery said, “The people lift your spirits. People going past the other way clapped and said well done. It’s a nice atmosphere.”

Race for Life organiser Janice Burtt cheered Yvonne across the finish line. She said: “She was very brave to take on the course and she raised £400. She really shows that this is not a race it’s more of a personal challenge.”

“The response we have had from Carlisle has been amazing. All the help and support and everyone who has come along have made it a great day.

More than 4,000 women gathered in the summer sunshine to take part in the ninth Race for Life yesterday, and in spite of the sweltering 30C temperature they ran, jogged and walked the course, many in memory of loved ones who have died of cancer.

First across the line was Alison Armstrong, from Longsowerby, Carlisle, who finished the 5km course in 17 minutes. She was congratulated by Carlisle Mayor Peter Farmer.

The 33-year-old, a member of the Border Harriers athletic club, was running the race for her grandad James Turner. She was closely followed by fellow Harrier Lisa Uren. The Upperby School teacher who was running as part of the school team said the heat made it hard. “You don’t realise it at the time but when you stop you realise how much it has taken out of you.”

Close on her heels, Leanne Wade, 27, from Currock was running in memory of her grandma Irene Peascod who died of lung cancer.

Many women walked the course in groups, some of them pushing wheelchairs and some with the help of a stick. Three generations of one family took part in memory of Michael Wilson who died of cancer. His widow Margaret Wilson, 60, from Uldale, overcame an arthritic knee to complete the course. I just thought I could do it,” she said, “It hasn’t bothered me until the last half mile.”

The 15-strong team of Egremont Bunnies nearly didn’t make it to the race at all when their minibus broke down.

Lynn Kirkbride, from Egremont, said: “We set off at 9am. We got to the garage at Distington and the bus broke down. We had to phone our husbands to come with cars to pick us up.

“But we got here on time. We parked the cars and got to the start just as the warm-up was finishing.”

Teammate Janice Shepherd said: “We kept seeing all these cars going past with women with race T-shirts on. We nearly thumbed a lift.”

The team of wives and mothers from Windscale Football Club have raised more than £1,000 between them. One of the youngest people to cross the finish line was seven-month-old Dylan Rhodes who was carried by mum Tammy Welsh, 32, from Carlisle.

She said: “I ran it last year when I was five months pregnant so I thought it was only right he should come again this year.

“It was very hot with him on my back. He was awake all the way round and people were talking to him, it was a lovely atmosphere.

“It is a fantastic cause. The more people who raise money the better.”

Jo Lewis, from Castle Carrock, ran with her daughters Rachel, nine, and Megan, eight.

“We are running for everybody who has been touched by cancer,” she said, “It’s a lovely atmosphere and fantastic that people take it on board. There was a lot of emotion.”

Compere William Harrison interrupted his honeymoon to attend the event after commentator David McNeil was forced to pull out at the last minute.

Mr Harrison, who works for Cancer Research said: “It was a last minute panic. I got married on Friday but my wife Pauline didn’t mind me coming today. ”

The Race for Life, returned to the Sheepmount Stadium in Bitts Park this year for the first time since the floods. The event is run by Cancer Research UK with help from Cumbria army cadets, members of the Rotary Club and Carlisle Ladies Circle who handed out 4,000 cartons of cranberry juice to runners crossing the finishing line.

Organisers hope to raise about £230,000.

Wow, Yvonne! :D

What an achievement? You did it!!! B)

Isn't that just fantastic news? I'm chuffed to bits for you! :D

Lizzie :)

Thanks so much for sharing that with us. What a stunning story. What an amazing achievement.

You should well be proud of what you did. I can barely get around the block with a mastiff pulling me on!

Well done!!!!!!!!

:) :)

Great news Yvonne. It is a real upper when you achieve something like this. I'm very happy for you.

Congratulations, Yvonne. I'm very happy for you and you SHOULD be extremely proud of yourself.

Thanks for your support. I have had a lovely quiet day today (Too hot though!!)

I feel as if i have rode a horse for 10 hours :huh: . I have a sore where the socket touches at the back of the top leg. I am staying away from my leg for a couple of days.

Is it best to leave the sore alone as i am doing or has anyone any ideas to heal it quicker? (I have been very lucky and this is my first one so this is new to me)

Love Yvonne

xx :blink:

That is far out! I mean w-o-w, WOW!!! :D :D :D Great job Yvonne!!!

As far as the sore spot goes, I get those really bad during a race. I use some medicated powder like Mexsana or Gold Bond. So far, I get the best results that way. And stay off of that thing and give it time to heal! :blink: If you don't let it heal now, it could be aroung a l-o-ong time! ;)

Again, GREAT JOB!!!! :D

Fantastic! You never know unless you try. If they have the race at the ACA convention next year I plan on doing it.

JudyH

Goodonya Yvonne! :D

Yeah, what Cat said......... :D

Good Job Yvonne..

Take good care of that sore.....and be proud of what you accomplished.....

Yvonne, I didn't get to reply before, as I got my keyboard drunk! :o

But My Biggest Heartiest Congratulations to YOU!! Wow, girl you are really getting out there and doing it! I wouldn't attempt such a thing right now, and I'm only BKA. Whoo Hoo, I'm really proud of you! (And, since I'm also a cancer survivor, I share your walk in spirit.)

Thanks everyone, just an update....

I have not wore my leg since Sunday, i got a sore on the back of my leg with rubbing. It is not too big but i dare not use my leg till the sore dries out and gets smaller.

I will try my leg over the weekend if it keeps improving.

So take note "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU NEED TO USE YOUR LEG THE WEEK AFTER :angry: :D :blink: "

Saying this i am so pleased i did the walk.

Love Yvonne

xx :wub:

P.S. I am really surprised at how much i am missing my leg, i did not realise that i made it part of me.

Thanks everyone, just an update....

I have not wore my leg since Sunday, i got a sore on the back of my leg with rubbing. It is not too big but i dare not use my leg till the sore dries out and gets smaller.

I will try my leg over the weekend if it keeps improving.

So take note "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF YOU NEED TO USE YOUR LEG THE WEEK AFTER :angry: :D :blink: "

Saying this i am so pleased i did the walk.

Love Yvonne

xx :wub:

P.S. I am really surprised at how much i am missing my leg, i did not realise that i made it part of me.

Yvonne,

I had my leg adjusted last Friday and got stupid and ignored a warning pain and got myself a good sized blister. OK no leg for a few days. Last night Im went to get up from my chair, my left knee caught and I lost my balance and fell. On my stump. Now I have a rug burn along with a broken blister and I am scared witless. It looks like it did 4 days before it became gangreneous. I am going to the doctor in an hour. No one but another amputee could possible understand how I feel when I can't put my leg on.

JudyH

OMG Judy. I hope you're alright. Please check in to let us know.

OMG Judy. I hope you're alright. Please check in to let us know.

He put me on antibiotics and told me not to wear my leg for a week. I am praying.

JudyH

I hope everything will be ok Judy. I'm thinking of you.

I hope everything will be ok Judy. I'm thinking of you.

Thanks, Marcia. The blister scared me but the rug burn on top caused pure terror.

The doctor didn't think it was too bad. I am hoping for the best.JudyH

Judy, DO take care and do everything the doctor says! I'm dealing with a small friction sore myself, right now (tried to "stretch it" too long between fit adjustments -- REALLY wanted to see if I could go a full two months! -- and I'm paying the price). I know absolutely how terrifying it can be to look at your stump and see a "problem!" You'll be in my thoughts... please keep us posted!

Yvonne, congratulations on a great accomplishment! I hope you're soon back in your leg... it DOES become a part of you, and I know that I feel quite frustrated (and even "down") if I can't wear mine for some reason. Even if I KNOW that I'm going to be having a "rest the leg" day and sticking pretty much to my wheelchair (which I seem to have to do avery month or so), I still want to put the leg on "just in case" I need to stand. I just don't feel "whole" without it!

take care... cherylm

Hi Judy,

We can both sit in and be miserable together i will eat the savoury foods and you can eat the sweet :D .

It is just so boring, even though i might not be planning to do anything. The fact that you can't makes it worse.

I am so sorry you are struggling aswell. I wore my leg for the first time last night when i went out for a meal with some friends. It was Ok but today i have not wore the leg because it feels bad. Even though the scab has come off it still seems quite raw. I am not going to wear my leg tomorrow and hopefully wear it Tuesday.

I have been very lucky as this is my first sore but from what i have read on this site, i am no where near on my own.

Happy slouching :D :) :D

Love Yvonne

xx :mellow:

Judy, DO take care and do everything the doctor says! I'm dealing with a small friction sore myself, right now (tried to "stretch it" too long between fit adjustments -- REALLY wanted to see if I could go a full two months! -- and I'm paying the price). I know absolutely how terrifying it can be to look at your stump and see a "problem!" You'll be in my thoughts... please keep us posted!

Yvonne, congratulations on a great accomplishment! I hope you're soon back in your leg... it DOES become a part of you, and I know that I feel quite frustrated (and even "down") if I can't wear mine for some reason. Even if I KNOW that I'm going to be having a "rest the leg" day and sticking pretty much to my wheelchair (which I seem to have to do avery month or so), I still want to put the leg on "just in case" I need to stand. I just don't feel "whole" without it!

take care... cherylm

Cherylm,

It is so good to be communicatin g with people who understand. The hardest part for me right now is to be stuck in my wheel chair. It was a year ago today that my husband of 43 years lapsed into a coma and died 7 days later. I NEED TO GET OUT. I don't want to sit here and think. I wanted and needed my husband so badly when my leg was taken. It was only 4 months later. I shouldn't wine we had a very good life. But I didn't want it to end so soon. He died 2 weeks to the day he retired. I'll shut up now. Thanks for listening.

JudyH

Judy, we all need to "vent" sometimes, and that's a "venting" situation if ever I heard one. Is there any chance of at least getting the wheelchair outside for a bit? Somewhere you can "roll" to? Because I live right off our downtown area, when I was suffering from "cabin fever," I could drag my chair out the front door and go wheeling off to someplace new... even if it was just to the corner store for a jug of milk.

I hope you're back "up" soon!

Is it best to leave the sore alone as i am doing or has anyone any ideas to heal it quicker? (I have been very lucky and this is my first one so this is new to me)

Love Yvonne

xx :unsure:

Yvonne

I use a product called "Doctor's Choice" which is fairly new. It's very much like a band-aid on steroids. The web site is: http://www.scivolutions.com/2005/page.php?...dvanced_healing

I use the advanced healing on "owies" to my stump and on places among the burn scars that have not yet closed.

It's worked for me. Check with your doctor/prosthetist in your specific case.

Hope this helps

Gil Davis

I have just read this post and I can't beleive it, especially as it has been so hot. Very well done to you Yvonne. As far as the sore goes I tend to use TCP ointment :unsure: :o Yes it stings like hell at first and then it doesn't seem to hurt as much. Rest is a good thig too but we don't want to hear that one. The ointment seems to speed the healing up.

Get well soon Judy.

Congratulations, Yvonne! What a fantastic accomplishment, thank you for sharing with us! What a wonderful day that must have been for you, and your family.

I hope your sores are healed by now. I'm an AK, and will also tend to get sores if I've overdone it. I use a lotion called EDAP, from my prosthetist, which seems to speed up the healing. However, for me, a few days without the leg is the only sure cure. If the sore isn't real bad, or I need to wear my leg before it completely heals, the blister bandaids also work. NOT regular bandaids- they make it worse. These are in a blue/silver box and say "blister bandaids."

Good luck!

Cheri

Judy,

How are you doing? I'm so sorry you fell! You've been through a lot, and I'm sending love and prayers your way!

Love,

Cheri

P.S. Sorry I didn't get to spend time with you at the confernce, hope you make it next year. Also, have you heard from Nann and how she's doing?