Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

Tips for new amputees

I need your help. I want to put together a booklet of tips and hints for new amputees. Nothing fancy and definitely only for giving away. Wouldall of you please list 2 hints or tips or just things you figured out for yourself as a new amputee. I will post the final results.

thanks

JudyH

Oh, yes please!

36 days to go, and I'd really welcome having my post-op journey guided by the collective wisdom of the experienced!

Best wishes

RozM. :)

Judy, this is more a "philosophy" than a practical "tip," but it's led me to LOTS of practical adjustments that have been helpful. My very, very first rule for "how to amp" is:

Try to look at old things in new ways.

It's so frustrating when you're trying to live "the same" as before when your body is NOT "the same." So always be aware that you probably CAN do what you did before... but you might have to change HOW you do it.

Example: While I was waiting for my leg, I was not able to stand up from sitting on the sofa without extreme difficulty. It took a visit from an Occupational Therapist to get me thinking "right."

"Who says that sofa has to be so low?" he asked me. "If you can't get down that low, make it higher."

So for my first weeks at home, I put my sofa on bed risers... and I got my mobility back.

It's the mind-set, more than the reality of "raising" low furnishings, that's impurtant! If we all -- newbies and old hands alike -- kept that in mind, it would be easier to see daily life skills as an adventure, rather than a challenge!

Hey Judy

I put together a "what to do when a new amputee comes home" list which I gathered from this forum family. Feel free to use it.....

There is also a "amputee friendly home" section - compliments of Ed.

http://allyrakamputee.beplaced.com