Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

have been playing golf now for 11 years but only this year i played 36 holes every week end. I have only one arm my left and i seem to have real problems using a driver

I would like to know is this something i need to perssit with and get more lessons or shouls i use a female driver as it is shorter.

I get on really well with all my Irons just not my woods and Drivers

Please help other wise my clubs will end up on Ebay

have been playing golf now for 11 years but only this year i played 36 holes every week end. I have only one arm my left and i seem to have real problems using a driver

I would like to know is this something i need to perssit with and get more lessons or shouls i use a female driver as it is shorter.

Sorry I can't help specifically, but I would say persist...

I've been to a few amputee tournements and seen people with only very short stumps for arms, people with one arm, left or right.... and they have all impressed me no end. I recommend finding your amputee golf tournement and go along and join in, to witness others may help.

Hiya Handy and welcome to the forum.....I came across this and thought it might help.

http://www.nagagolf.org/

Cheers,

Cat

The problem you are having is very normal for a lot of golfers. A good instructor should be able to help you fix this. A couple of concepts must be understood. The first one is that the clubshaft angle when set on the ground is more horizontal than the shaft of irons especially the longer irons. I ideally when you swing the shaft angle needs to return to the initial setup position somewhat. Now when a person takes a backswing generally players either are swinging the club more up than around and it is steeper and more upright and easier to use the irons that are on the on ground because you want to hit down on the ball. Other players have their backswing more around their body and less up and this promotes a more horizontal motion of the club and it is easier to sweep the ball. Take a backswing and stop at the end and if the club (hands) is near your neck you are swinging too upright. if the club (hands) is above you rear shoulder (right shoulder for a right hander that is a ideal backswing for all clubs and if it is way below the rear shoulder it is two flat. This may sound complicated to you so if you need more clarfication please ask. My recommendation is go to a instructor understands the how to teach. I found from my experience that even with our special problems the golf club needs to move in such a way in the downswing or poor results will be obtained. Knowing what you actually trying to do can make a big difference. The how to do it becomes more simple. If you can describe your shot patterns with the woods, tops, heel or toe contact, slices hooks I could try to give you more help.

Dave

The problem you are having is very normal for a lot of golfers. A good instructor should be able to help you fix this. A couple of concepts must be understood. The first one is that the clubshaft angle when set on the ground is more horizontal than the shaft of irons especially the longer irons. I ideally when you swing the shaft angle needs to return to the initial setup position somewhat. Now when a person takes a backswing generally players either are swinging the club more up than around and it is steeper and more upright and easier to use the irons that are on the on ground because you want to hit down on the ball. Other players have their backswing more around their body and less up and this promotes a more horizontal motion of the club and it is easier to sweep the ball. Take a backswing and stop at the end and if the club (hands) is near your neck you are swinging too upright. if the club (hands) is above you rear shoulder (right shoulder for a right hander that is a ideal backswing for all clubs and if it is way below the rear shoulder it is two flat. This may sound complicated to you so if you need more clarfication please ask. My recommendation is go to a instructor understands the how to teach. I found from my experience that even with our special problems the golf club needs to move in such a way in the downswing or poor results will be obtained. Knowing what you actually trying to do can make a big difference. The how to do it becomes more simple. If you can describe your shot patterns with the woods, tops, heel or toe contact, slices hooks I could try to give you more help.

Dave

Thanks to you all with the advise you have given me, i have used my 5 wood but with a really slow swing to nat a bad result but the ball did go straight just not far