Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sForza

New Amputee

Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself.

On May 26, 2006 my right leg was amputated (BK) due to severe Osteomyelitis and non-union of compound tibial fractures which have plagued me for the past 2 years, and the origin of which was bilateral shattered ankles during an international soccer match 13 years ago. The surgery was semi-elective as I had the "choice" between a RBK now, or another year of failed treatments followed by a RAK. My left leg looks as if it will not have to be removed below the knee, however I did lose about 60% of each toe. I used to compete at the pro/world class level in several sports including Triathlon and plan to return to competition as soon as possible, perhaps even compete in the 2008 Paralympic Games barring any further leg problems. My "day job" is a Fine Arts Painter (Oils)/Photographer/Graphic Designer, and after I get my life back on track I plan to return to UCLA for my degree in Architecture. In about 2 weeks I'll be fitted for my first 2 legs, I can't wait to walk for the first time in 24 months! That's where I'm at now...

I've been reading as much useful and inspiring information as I can on this site, it's very helpful and looks to be a welcome and inviting online support community.

Grazie mille

-Sam

Hi Sam

Welcome. I had an elected ish amputation for the same reasons as you in April 2005. You sound very positive and I hope all goes well with your recovery.

Best Wishes

Rachel

That soccer match sounds as though it was quite brutal, Sam! :ph34r:

I'm sorry you've had to 'go through it'...but, I'm glad that your latest surgery went well.

Welcome to this forum! :D

Lizzie :)

Welcome Sam!

This is a good place!

Hiya Sam - welcome to our forum. I'm Ally, RAK from South Africa.

Glad to have you here,

Ally

Hi Sam. Welcome to the forum. With such a positive attitude I know you will do well.

G'day Sam and welcome to our "family" :D

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Cat

Hi Sam

From one newie to another welcome. :blink:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, cheers.

Sam, Welcome aboard.

It is always nice to meet new people and to share opinions/ stories etc.

I am 31, Above knee amp - 2005 - Cancer

Love Yvonne

xx :angry:

Guest SuzyQ
Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself.

On May 26, 2006 my right leg was amputated (BK) due to severe Osteomyelitis and non-union of compound tibial fractures which have plagued me for the past 2 years, and the origin of which was bilateral shattered ankles during an international soccer match 13 years ago. The surgery was semi-elective as I had the "choice" between a RBK now, or another year of failed treatments followed by a RAK. My left leg looks as if it will not have to be removed below the knee, however I did lose about 60% of each toe. I used to compete at the pro/world class level in several sports including Triathlon and plan to return to competition as soon as possible, perhaps even compete in the 2008 Paralympic Games barring any further leg problems. My "day job" is a Fine Arts Painter (Oils)/Photographer/Graphic Designer, and after I get my life back on track I plan to return to UCLA for my degree in Architecture. In about 2 weeks I'll be fitted for my first 2 legs, I can't wait to walk for the first time in 24 months! That's where I'm at now...

I've been reading as much useful and inspiring information as I can on this site, it's very helpful and looks to be a welcome and inviting online support community.

Grazie mille

-Sam

Hi Sam,

I am a newbie too! I am an AKA for the left leg on 6/7/06. Mine was due to a severe metal allergy to the knee replacement. By day I am a systems analyst and project manager (when I am not on a leave of absence) and by night an artist. I am a professional photographer and I paint in watercolor. I am morphing into my next life as a full time artist. In 6 years I can retire, so decided to become an artist in the "Great NorthWest" in the next phase of my life. I have done several shows and people are actually buying my work :)

It is great that you will be fitted so soon! They won't even begin the measurements and casting until August for me due to swelling and slow healing (but at least it is healing ;) ).

Louise (SuzyQ)

Hello Sam! Sorry for the tardy response, but welcome aboard! :D I'm a 34 yr old LAK from Arkansas.

SuzyQ,

Good luck on the art career, I have my stuff in galleries all around the world as well, in September I'll be in Paris, Monaco, and the Riviera for gallery/museum showings. It can be an extremely lucrative career.

Where abouts in Washington do you reside?

I went to Woodinville HS, before Stanford and Yale I got my first degree at the University of Washington. My parents used to live in Medina, myself on Capitol Hill along Eastlake (just across from Gasworks), later I lived in a gorgeous old condo at the top of Qween Ann Hill. The rest of Washington I've seen while competing in athletics. My younger brother still lives up in Seattle.