Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Kkeith

New friend (I hope)!

Hi my name is Keith.

Its taken some time for me to post on here due to the fact that I'm computer iliterate and I can't spell either, so I am only going to appologise for this once right now "Sorry."

I have read quite few of the storys on here about what some of you have been through and I feel quite lucky! So I don't intend to post my full story but that doesn't mean I don't like talking about it and if you want to know anything just ask. You'll wish you hadn't I never stop!

Time for my questions which I am sure you guy's un gals will be able to help me with.

Can some one point me in the right direction for getting back to golf, bike riding and running!

OK OK I know I have to learn to walk again first. But hey that should be easy NOT. I need to know now were to get the extra infomation.

Can't wait

Keith

Ps this iT stuff is a bit tricky can i c=get some help with this too?

Hi my name is Keith.

Its taken some time for me to post on here due to the fact that I'm computer iliterate and I can't spell either, so I am only going to appologise for this once right now "Sorry."

I have read quite few of the storys on here about what some of you have been through and I feel quite lucky! So I don't intend to post my full story but that doesn't mean I don't like talking about it and if you want to know anything just ask. You'll wish you hadn't I never stop!

Time for my questions which I am sure you guy's un gals will be able to help me with.

Can some one point me in the right direction for getting back to golf, bike riding and running!

OK OK I know I have to learn to walk again first. But hey that should be easy NOT. I need to know now were to get the extra infomation.

Can't wait

Keith

Ps this iT stuff is a bit tricky can i c=get some help with this too?

At this point I settled for walking - so I can't help. But I would suggest contacting the

ACA at amputee-coalition.org. Lots of interesting info and sources.

JudyH

Thanx judy

Thats a start Don't be offended but I was looking for some thing closer to home. But I am sure the info will in handy i have saved it to my fav's already.

Keith

Welocme to the forum Keith

I'm sure those here who live in the UK will be able to help with your inquiries :)

Hi Keith. Welcome to the forum.

Hi, Keith, and welcome! This is a widely varied lot... I'm sure SOMEONE here can help with your "sports" questions: try though he did, my dad never managed to make me into a golfer, and I gave up running in high school. I did used to be an avid cyclist, though, and I'm "starting" to "think" about "maybe" trying to ride again. I'm drawing a complete blank on URLs, but I know I've seen sites devoted to tips for amp cyclists... come on gang, ONE of you HAS to have an address for us!

Hello Keith!

Let's see...............................

Golfing...I did not golf prior to loosing my legs, and I do not golf now.

So I am no help there...........

Running................................

Nope.....Didn't run before I lost them, shure as hell do not run now.

Bike riding............................

Didn't ride a bike when I had the legs, but I do now!

Being a bilateral, I have a hand bike now.

So I am not going to be much help for you there Keith.

Sorry!

Ted

Thanx judy

Thats a start Don't be offended but I was looking for some thing closer to home. But I am sure the info will in handy i have saved it to my fav's already.

Keith

I guess I am a firm believer in the ACA and I am willing to bet they can put you in contact with someone on your side of the pond with the information you need.

JudyH

Hi Keith,

I lost my right leg below the knee 18 months ago and have had my prosthetic leg for just over a year now. I that time I have started swimming, cycling and running again. Swimming was the first thing I tried, pretty much as soon as I could get myself to a pool because obviously no legis needed for that. Then I tried cycling again - started that about 6 months ago. I now cycle to work every day and in November will be cycling 500km from Saigon in Vietnam to Ang Kor Wat in Cambodia - not quite the same as cycling to work I know - I really must start getting some practice in. I have also started running again recently.and am aiming to do a 5K run in September. I am 29 now and was 27 when I lost my leg. I was pretty fit before - used to go to the gym about three times a week and I also did a lot of hiking.

Swimming is fine - it is literally just a case of taking your leg off when you get to the side of the pool and then getting in and swimming as normal. You can get water legs, but I find that mine is really only useful for getting into showers that are awkward on crutches and getting into the swimming pool on holiday when you really need to cool off.

Cycling again I actually find a lot easier than walking. I haven't had to make any alterations to my bike at all - I have just attached a toe clip to my prosthetic foot side so that it stays on the pedal. The only downside of that is that you obviously can't get the foot off, but it is quite easy to train yourself just to make sure that if you stop you put your good foot down instead of the bad one.

Running I have really only just started, but was really surprised when I did it and again found it fine. I suppose the one different thing about running though is that you really need to make sure that you have an absolutely completely comfortable socket on your leg before you do it and that you are very confident putting all your weight through your prosthetic leg because apparently with each step you put double your body weight through it.

I don't know what level of amputation you have and I think that your activity level will probably depend a lot on that, but I can honestly say that if you are fairly fit and have the determination to do it then you will be able to get back to where you were before.

About the golf - can't help you there I am afraid, but I'm sure someone here will.

Anyway, I have rambled on for long enough but if you have any more questions then please do not hesitate to ask.

Fiona

Hi Keith,

I lost my right leg below the knee 18 months ago and have had my prosthetic leg for just over a year now. I that time I have started swimming, cycling and running again. Swimming was the first thing I tried, pretty much as soon as I could get myself to a pool because obviously no legis needed for that. Then I tried cycling again - started that about 6 months ago. I now cycle to work every day and in November will be cycling 500km from Saigon in Vietnam to Ang Kor Wat in Cambodia - not quite the same as cycling to work I know - I really must start getting some practice in. I have also started running again recently.and am aiming to do a 5K run in September. I am 29 now and was 27 when I lost my leg. I was pretty fit before - used to go to the gym about three times a week and I also did a lot of hiking.

Swimming is fine - it is literally just a case of taking your leg off when you get to the side of the pool and then getting in and swimming as normal. You can get water legs, but I find that mine is really only useful for getting into showers that are awkward on crutches and getting into the swimming pool on holiday when you really need to cool off.

Cycling again I actually find a lot easier than walking. I haven't had to make any alterations to my bike at all - I have just attached a toe clip to my prosthetic foot side so that it stays on the pedal. The only downside of that is that you obviously can't get the foot off, but it is quite easy to train yourself just to make sure that if you stop you put your good foot down instead of the bad one.

Running I have really only just started, but was really surprised when I did it and again found it fine. I suppose the one different thing about running though is that you really need to make sure that you have an absolutely completely comfortable socket on your leg before you do it and that you are very confident putting all your weight through your prosthetic leg because apparently with each step you put double your body weight through it.

I don't know what level of amputation you have and I think that your activity level will probably depend a lot on that, but I can honestly say that if you are fairly fit and have the determination to do it then you will be able to get back to where you were before.

About the golf - can't help you there I am afraid, but I'm sure someone here will.

Anyway, I have rambled on for long enough but if you have any more questions then please do not hesitate to ask.

Fiona

Thanks Fiona

I know everything you say makes sense. I like to think I was fit before my RTA but that was back in Nov 2003, so I guess I will just have to work hard. every one says a good fitting socket is key but That is what i don't get how will I know if my socket is a good fit! How Should it feel! I am scared that because i'm not a pushy person that i will just accept what a prosthies tells me cos hell what do i know?

Hi Keith,

At the beginning I found that the best thing WAS just to trust my physio and prosthetist. I mean, I didn't have a clue what the leg was meant to feel like, whether it felt good or bad, or what. I think it is totally normal that you do just trust in your leg person to know what is right for you. Of course, if I could point to a point on my leg where there was definite pain then I knew that the socket wasn't right, but really I just didn;t know what it was meant to feel like apart from that.

Now, however, I think I do have a good idea about what I need out of my leg and how it should feel, and I am far better at voicing this to my prosthetist. This has literally come from experience, and from working together with my prosthetist for a year. I now know the sore bits of my leg and so does she and together we try to sort them out when they arise. But really it has only been very recently that we have got to this stage.

So what I am basically trying to say is not to worry too much at first. It took me a good six months even to feel like I was remotely gaining back the level of activity I wanted to. And the leg really felt wierd for a long long time.

It is all just a matter of time. Chill out and see where it takes you!!

Fiona

G'day Keith and welcome to the forum. You'll know if the socket doesn't fit because it will hurt and you won't be able to walk in it.

I'm a Syme amputee and can do just about anything so it's easy for me to say this, but what you do as far as golf, etc., will be entirely up to how determined you are.

Communication is the key just talk to your prosthetist and tell him or her how it feels.

Welcome,

Cat

Welcome to the forum Keith. It would be nice to know when, where and how you lost your leg. I guess it is your leg that was lost. The things you want to do will depend on us knowing these things.

Keith, welcome to the forum! As you've already seen, this is a place of information and lots of fun! And it sounds like Fiona is answering quite a lot of your questions...

Hi Keith

Well here goes. I did swimming when I was only a few weeks post op i.e. as soon as the bandages were off.

Bike riding was easy it was the stopping and getting on/off I struggled with.

Golf: still not been brave enough as I struggle to walk on grass.

Good luck and try whatever you want if you fail then wait a while and try again.

There is absolutley no reason why sooner or later you should not be as active as you were.

|Best wishes

Rachel

Hello Keith, welcome to our forum. Like you, I am a LAK. Sorry, I'm no help with the golf thing. I race motorcycles offroad and think a golf course would make an excellent place to ride!! :lol: ;)

Guest bearlover

Howdy Keith! and welcome, hope you meet some really good people here. I'm a lbk due to a birth defect. Almost 3 years now... Welcome again... :)

:D

Hi everybody,

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and welcome. I could send each of you a personal mesage but this is the easest way to thankyou all so far. and if I stay on typing lots of messages my lovely wife Rebecca gets cross!!! :blush: You know what I mean. So thanks again everybody. Oh yes by the way allot of people have asked for my story I started to write 4 nights ago and still havn't finished upto 6000 words so far! As you probably realise by now I don't know how to be brief.

Think it may be to long to post but it seem to be doing me a world of good typing it out. With all the high's and low's. So for those of you who asked thank you for getting me going.