Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sForza

Summer in France

I'm going to be in France (Paris, Provance, Cote D' Azur, Monaco) for about a month this coming September and October. It's a long overdue vacation and I'll be doing some art shows (I'm an artist). I'm about to buy my tickets and just wanted to know if there's any pointers/advice anyone wouldn't mind sharing for international travel? For instance, should I bring an extra leg?, should the leg be removed during flight or no because will it swell?, any special travel considerations I may have overlooked as a rookie amputee?

Thanks

I use a Xerosox protector so I don't have to take crutches. I use it for showering so I don't have to be dependent on shower chair and crutches. Being gone a month, I would take the crutches. You might still check out the Xerosox to use in the shower.

Wear your leg on the plane. You shouldn't have any problems with security. I sometimes take mine off while inflight if I can't find a comfortable position. The gel liner should keep swelling to a minimum. You'll still be shrinking at that time. Lots of sock changes anyway.

Be sure to take an adequate assortment of socks. If my memory serves me correctly, you aren't wearing a leg yet. You'll understand this once you start.

Can't think of anything else right now. Will let you know if I do.

Sounds like a great trip. You're still in the learning stage. Try what you want, but don't overdue it. Stumpy will not be happy with you. :angry:

I'm going to be in France (Paris, Provance, Cote D' Azur, Monaco) for about a month this coming September and October. It's a long overdue vacation and I'll be doing some art shows (I'm an artist). I'm about to buy my tickets and just wanted to know if there's any pointers/advice anyone wouldn't mind sharing for international travel? For instance, should I bring an extra leg?, should the leg be removed during flight or no because will it swell?, any special travel considerations I may have overlooked as a rookie amputee?

Thanks

I'm a BK amputee originally from Paris and living in New York. I would suggest that you take an extra leg with you. You can always encounter problems with your prosthesis when travelling and it's safer to take a spare leg when you go away.

For the flight, I usually keep my prosthesis on in the plane. I find it smart not to seat near the window, but near the aisle so that you can stretch the leg with your prosthesis. It's also fine to take it off during the flight if you feel more comfortable.

I would add something specific to the Roissy CDG airport. I always have to wait about half an hour at security because of my prosthesis. They usually have to make a call for a special agent to come and it takes time. So take that into consideration when you fly back.

I travel a lot as an amputee! It's one of my favorite hobbies. Have a great time in France! :D

Gwen

Thanks for the input, the trip is booked and I can't wait to go. All of us are actually flying in and out of London and we'll travel through France via Eurostar trainand Rangerovers, I find French and Italian airports to be a pain and try to avoid them if possible.

Unfortunately you've missed the best month for Paris, in August there are very few Parisians there as they have gone elsewhere.

The good thing is you're not flying into Roissy, that has to be one of the worst major international airports.

Anyway, Bon Chance!

Be prepared for your leg to set of the metal detectors. The first time I went to an airport, I didn't even think about it. Boy, was I suprised! Now, I always tell them before I go through that I have a prosthesis, and it will set it off. They've always been very nice about it. Of course, you'll have to get patted down. :unsure: I supposed that's a good thing though security wise. Otherwise, have a great time! Sounds like a fun trip.

Be prepared for your leg to set of the metal detectors. The first time I went to an airport, I didn't even think about it. Boy, was I suprised! Now, I always tell them before I go through that I have a prosthesis, and it will set it off. They've always been very nice about it. Of course, you'll have to get patted down. :unsure: I supposed that's a good thing though security wise. Otherwise, have a great time! Sounds like a fun trip.

I'm prepared for that, however my leg may not set it off. It's going to be almost enitrely carbon fiber with a few titanium bits here and there (I discussed the components for my legs today). Before my surgery I had much more titanium hardware in my leg (and still have some in my left leg) than any BK limb would ever have, and I never set off any metal dectectors in all my previous travels. So hopefully I'll get off scott free, if not then oh well I can adapt. We'll have a great time though, September weather will be perfect (usually we go to Europe when it's much hotter). The first half of the trip will be Paris, Rouen, the Normandy Coast, and Mont St. Michel; the second part will be Cote D'Azur, Monaco, and perhaps Antibes or Nice. Me, my Leica M7, and about 30 rolls of Velvia 50 should do it. B)