Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Awesome Blue

07/07

One year ago today I was laid in intensive care having undergone emergency surgery that saved my life. I vaguely remember the nurses talking about a bombing incident in London.

I was so far out of it I really did not grasp what had happened. Only some time later did I fully understand the magnitude of what had happened.

Today I not only remember my own unfortunate circumstances, but also spare a moment to think about those who lost their life that day, and perhaps even more so those who have survived but have lost limbs.

One or two of their stories have been told on here.

A sad day in many respects.

I hope your anniversary today is a much better day. It's sad to think about terror when it happens in your own backyard. I still remember the Oklahoma City bombing and Sept 11 with reverence. Awful incidences.

Hi Mike,

I am watching the footage on the television now. I think it is just so sad of all the people affected. It is not only the victims but people who were not involved also.

It brings us together, it is just a shame it takes something like this. My thoughts are with the people who have lost their life and their family and also with strong people like yourself Mike.

Love Yvonne

xx :angry:

Mike,

Can I just say congratulations on what you have achieved this past year. You have been an inspiration to me with your great attitude and jokes and good advice. And sponsorship money!

About 7/7. My heart goes out to all those who lost someone or something (in the limb department) in 7/7. But I am finding it really difficult to come to terms with all the media coverage there is of 7/7 at the moment. I woke up this morning to John Humphries asking one of the bomb victims to describe his experiences, and had to listen to the story of the whole thing all over again. I know what happened. I just don't see what the nation can possibly gain from going over it. It just feels wrong to me.

Also, I know I am probably biased because of what happened to me, but every time I read yet another newspaper or magazine story about 7/7 I am reminded that altough the events of that day were terrible, and we will never be able to bring back the dead, there are many other terrible things going on in other parts of the world all the time, and there always have been. The only difference between these things and 7/7 is that most people affected by the war in Iraq or Afganistan or the tsunami will never have their stories told, they will never get compensation from the governments of their countries for what happened to them, and the events that affected them will never have the newsworthiness of 7/7. Because they are not rich westerners. They are generally poor people trying their hardest to live the best life they can.

The question that really keeps coming back to me is why does it seem to be the case that a western life is worth more than an Iraqi or Indonesian life? I have been taught all my life that everybody is and should be treated as my equal, but when I see the media having the circus they are having with an event like 7/7, giving up reams and reams of column inches to some lecturer who lives in one of the most developed countries in the world, probably owns his own house, is richer than most people in the world could ever hope to be, and survived UNINJURED, and is STILL getting compensation from the government, and ignoring completely all the people who really deserve those column inches and the exposure that they would give them to the outside world, I feel rather sick really.

The one image that I have of the hospital I was taken to after the tsunami is of the Thai man who was lying in the bed next to me. I could tell that he had been really badly injured in the tsunami as all his family spent all their time around his bedside, but I was a bit out of it on morphine myself and so couldn't tell exactly what was wrong with him. I was flown out of there to my extortionately expensive private hospital paid forby my medical insurance two days later but I remember asking my Dad what was wrong with the man before they took me away. He told me that the man had obviously been hurled onto some cliffs by the wave and had a very bed head injury. I don't know whether he survived but I just keep on thinking that if he had had access to the same medical care as I had had, then his chances would surely have been a lot higher. Why am I worth more than him?

Obviously then the logic gets difficult because if I really were to have equated myself with him at the time of the tsunami, then I certainly would not be here today. And so I then start to feel a bit hypocritical for even coming out with any of this in the first place - I have demonstrated that I am not practicing what I preach and would have no hesitation in jumping back into the best private hospital money could buy if the same thing happened to me again.

It is all just so difficult.

Anyway, sorry for highjacking your thread Mike, and congratulations again for the year thing.

Fiona, that was an especially beautiful post. I can relate to everything you are saying, especially being a white South African, and having spent most of my informative years being a white person in a particularly putrid racist country.

And you are right. When you think about it, it can make you feel sick. There will always be unanswered questions, and inexplicable circumstances. The age old question can be asked in 2 ways....

"Why me?"....or

"Why NOT me?"

And you and I will probably never know the answer to that eternal question. Not yet anyway, we're still too busy doing whatever it is we're supposed to be doing on earth. We have many blessings. And most of the time, we don't know why.

And Mike, well, you know that I admire you deeply. Thank you for reminding us to remember.

:)

Hi

Whether we are rich poor white or any other colour.

death does not discriminate or who suffer's in a tragedy that happened this time last year.

So let 's forgets what we think is wrong and just think of those that have suffered and are still suffering.

And if it meen's we have a ceremony at the time it took place then so be it.

Pat.

Fiona,

I can relate exactly to what you said. I too hate the media circus. I feel angry so often about injustices, especially child poverty and exploitation. The older I become, the more I hate politicians who could do so much, but sadly often don't even begin to understand, yet think they are doing a wonderful job. There is so much I would like to change I could go on and on.

However my thoughts today were just that, my thoughts, I share them on here with the people I have come to know and respect.

I thank you (all) for your kind words, it means a lot.