Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Double wall sockets question

I was asked by a fellow amputee what the purpose was for the flexible inner socket. I don't really know. My first leg was just carbon fiber, no inner socket. My last three legs, all made by a different leggist, have included the inner socket. If I was told why, I don't remember. These last three legs have been very comfortable and that's all that matters to me.

Hi Neal,

If i am thinking what you are on about, the inner flexible liner is so that the hard outer liner does not dig in your leg/groin.

I have just got a new socket with a flexi liner and it is so much better. I can wear and walk alot more than when i had no inner liner.

Love Yvonne

xx

P.S. I hope this helps

I'm a BK Yvonne. It might be to keep it from digging into the knee. I don't know.

I was asked by a fellow amputee what the purpose was for the flexible inner socket. I don't really know. My first leg was just carbon fiber, no inner socket. My last three legs, all made by a different leggist, have included the inner socket. If I was told why, I don't remember. These last three legs have been very comfortable and that's all that matters to me.

I think it might depend on what type of limb you are wearing, and whether or not you are wearing a liner. I am also b/k, mostly I have worn a PTB type which have always had a socket inside the main shell, I am not sure but it could be because they need to have a closer fit to your leg shape and more defined weight distribution. I have also worn a limb with a liner, this limb did not have a socket, you put on the liner and went straight into the main shell of the limb, however, when wearing this liner the weight distribution was spread all over the socket.

Incidently, not all sockets are always flexible, I sometimes wear leather ones but are anything but flexible.

Not sure if my thoughts are the correct analysis of the purpose of the flexible socket, I could be wrong .... quite often am ..... if so, I am sure someone will correct me.

Ann

Hi:

I had one leg with an "inner" liner and I kept walking out of it!!!

So I've never had one since. My Pros. ended up gluing the inner liner, so I thought why bother?

Lynne