• Jogging
    • walking
    • gym
    • Bike riding
    • yoga
    • aerobics
    • philates
    • other

I am an AK amputee and find exercise rather difficult concidering that I can no longer run with my current leg. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

Nicole B)

I Run a lot but I also do stretches and one of my favorites is doing Pilates. I have a few videos on Pilates and I can do most of the exercises there are a few that I have to do with the leg off but I think out of any other stuff that I have tried this is the easiest.

Brenda

Hey Nicole,

Don't know where you live, but in the USA, I have found the greatest place to work out, Curves International. It is a circuit training gym that made for women (sorry no guys allowed :D ). It takes 30 minutes a day and works every part of your body. It combines resistance training and cardio to build lean muscle, which is what women need, not big bulky muscles like the guys.

I like it because I couldn't use bicycles (knee restrictions), I haven't been able to walk or jog because I just get plain tired and start hurting. I haven't tried yoga or pilates because of the knee thing. With Curves I get a great all over workout (quads, thighs(inner and outer), gluts, chest, obliques, pecs, biceps/triceps, abs, and even that nasty back fat :( .

Check it out

Kimberly

Hi, I get most of my exercise by walking throughout the Mall, I find it's a lot more enjoyable that way! :lol:

Sheila

Keep Smiling :)

Hey Sheila, that's right up my street, shopping, shopping, shopping. I'm having withdrawal symptoms at the moment, especially with Christmas coming up. I might have to to succumb to internet shopping this year, what a bore!!!! :blink:

i like always am working out by lots of swiming and do lots and lots of stretching too . ( ya , you can also call me ruber gurl ...hehehehe ... :P :P :P ) Sit ups are one of my waay favs things to do too . Right now , i am sort of lie limitited in what i can do because i am on crutches ( no pros ) but once i do get one , i will try and go back to bicycle riding too and walking . Brenda , you'll be happy gurl to know that i will not be challenging you to a marathion runing thingie anytime soon though . hehehehe................ :P :P :P

Hey Nicole I am glad to find out I am not the only one who is AK who finds it very difficult to ride any of the bikes or jogging or whatever they offer in the field of exercises..I spend my whole wake hours doing some kind of work..I clean the house, make meals, do everything inside and outside the home. From Spring to late Fall I enjoy doing yard work and it is a very hard work!!..so I don't consider myself still like a stone but I sure would like to do some exercises.

Now, thanks Kimberly,

I wanted to check the "Curves" but I always feel self conciencious about my artificial leg, walking funny, all things that embaresse me... now that I know it is ok, because you go there and you said it is only for woman, I will sign my self by the first week of December, I promesed myself.

Love you all

Dea

Hmm, well that explains a few things :lol:

It depends on the time of year. In winter its off to the gym, skiing if my knee isn't causing me hassle. In summer it's cycling and swimming. I used to windsurf but i don't live near water anymore :( . I walk alot too.

I've just bought a stepper stepping thingie :rolleyes: second hand from a colleague ... we'll see how it works.

Hi

Yes would really like to be doing much more exercise. Do some stretches but that is about hall really.Used to do a great deal of walking, but the situation with getting a comfortable pair of limbs, which don't rub, has been very difficult over the past few years.

Have found it very difficult trying to get into a gym as am unable to wear trainers with the current limbs as they are non-adjustable feet, most of the gyms in my area have wooden floors and insist that trainers are worn. Did manage to go to a very small gym set up which was carpeted, but there was only one cardiovascular machine, the other machines were quite difficult for me to use, and although I tried was worried about putting unnecessary strain on my knees.

Am currently waiting for a new pair of limbs to be made which have adjustable feet, so hopefully will be able to wear trainers and go to a normal gym. However they are taking so long to make I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get them.!

Ann

I can't wait to get a limb, I am really looking forward to ge able to go to the gym. I haven't done a lot of exercise in the past because my old leg was an inch or so shorter than my good leg, so exercising was quite difficult. Plus I've got lots of weight to lose that I've gained over the past year. :rolleyes:

I haven't excersised properly for ages and have put on a bit of weight but with a little extra time coming up plan on walking a lot and getting back on my bike. I can't run anymore cos my left knee has no cartlidge left and I miss it SOOOOOOOO much. Pilates is on my list too as I'm so impressed with it after being introduced to it a couple of months ago. In fact I was so impressed I'm thinking about learning to teach it as it compliments my occupation so well.

I actually did 5 k's on the excersise bike this morning which felt quite good.

Cat

Hmmm, Cat girl....what is Pilates ?? Sounds like it involves a rotating movement :rolleyes:

Actually Kaz its an excersise you do on one leg with a parrrot on your shoulder.

No.....wait.....thats piRates.

Pilates is fantastic.....will get some info and post it.

Cat

Kaz, this is a web definition of pilates:

A body conditioning system created over eighty years ago by Joseph H. Pilates. Initially popular with dancers and other performers, the Pilates method has become popular in the fitness world. Exercises performed on the floor, or on specialized equipment, Pilates coordinates mind, body and breath to develop sleek and functionally strong abdominal muscles, a strong and supple back, and aligns the shoulder girdle.

Thanks Afet !! Sounds good !

Shucks, and i thought it involved a parrot .... :( !! :D :lol:

Hi All

I play amputee football have look http://www.amputeefootball.co.uk/ I play for Southend United, I also have gym in the garage, my favourite is the rower.

I also swim a mile ever Sunday with 2 of my daughters at my SCUBA diving club.

Also for those fustrating moments I find the punch bag a great way to losen up, back by Guns & Roses

Keep Rockin'

Paul :)

Hi everybody! I have just been able to start at the local exercise club here. I work mainly on the rower and weights. Gained a lot of weight over the years being so sedentary and so far have lost about 35 lbs! Feels great but I'm getting a little impatient to see those pounds come off.

Caroln

WOW Caroln!!

A 35lb loss is fantastic!!! :D Well done you!

How long has it taken you to lose that? And have you modified your diet also or just working out more?

Whatever you're doing, keep it up! That's great! :rolleyes:

Thanks Afet! I have cut back, eating better and limiting the carbs. I think the exercise has been the most effective. I started everything on Sept. 1st. My kids and I are going to Disneyworld in March and I would love to lose some more weight before we go.

Caroln

Well, a 35lb loss in just three months is fantastic!

Works out to about 3lbs a week, which is excellent. Don't be impatient, you've done really well!

At least it's going in the right direction! :P

Keep up the good work!

That's fantastic work Carolyn.

I've had a lot more time for excersise the last 2 weeks and have dropped 3 kilo's.

Excersise is certanly the key combined with better eating.

Well done!!!!!

Cat

Jogging, i wish. I so miss running, the fastest ive traveled unaided is when i fell downstairs (gladly unhurt). It's been 5 months and its killing me cause im putting on weight.