• Jogging
    • walking
    • gym
    • Bike riding
    • yoga
    • aerobics
    • philates
    • other

Well I thought it would be a long time before I could give an answer to this thread, but yesterday I went swimming :D

My local hospital, where I go for physio, has a hydropool and my physiotherapist got me into the afternoon class, how cool is that, no worrying about getting changed or into the pool (hoist fitted), plus there were other amputees there as well, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed myself - only one drawback, I didn't wake up until 11.30 am this morning and I ache all over, so I must have been doing something right. Now its closed until 10th January, so roll on 2005, I can see its going to be a good year for me - and about b....y time too!!! ;)

Stick with it Pam :D You will reap the rewards, swimming is great for all amps.

that feelgood factor after a workout just cannot be beat

Paul :lol:

["If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favour freedom and yet depreciate agitation, want crops without ploughing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of the waters"]

Frederick Douglass

I do a lot of walking.

I am going to run again as I want to run a marathon by the time I'm 21 (I'm 19 now).

I also do gym, yoga and pilates sporadically and when I am in the countryside I ride both my bike and my horse. :D

Hi all

Have been able to go to the gym and use the cycles and treadmill much better now that i have been given an iceross leg which has a pin attached to a liner which locactes into a ratchet assembly and keeps my leg solidly in the socket .This has been excellent .hope to do more cycling next year when i can find a way of attaching my leg to the pedal strong enough to pedal but be able to release it when needed any one any ideas or experience on what type of connection works for them.

i used protein based supplements to lose weight & gain strength in my legs and upper body as at first i found the leg very heavey to move and this made me very tired ,these supplements also increase your energy levels and provide all the correct nutrition that your body needs i have found that my immunity has increased and my circulation is much better leading to a better skin condition and therefore less breakdown which is disasterous for us prosthesis wearers.

if you need any information on these which are available worldwide contact me at mike@fantasticdiet.co.uk

I got 4 pages of hits when I searched "exercise." I posted this at the roundrockamputee site but thought I should try here for a wider response.

I am trying to get into the best shape possible before being fitted for my arty leg. The exercises I was given are all lying down. I can stand on the non amp leg so it is possible to exercise standing. Also need arm exercise suggestions.. I want to work on strength, stamina, flexibility, balance and weight loss. No lazy bones am I.

I will also continue to sort through the other applicable posts but would appreciate any advice. My thinking is that if I am in shape that adapting to the leg will be easier. There I go, thinking again.

For arm exercises, you couldn't do better than swimming, especially if you use just your arms. Also, if you're swimming you can pace yourself & you're less likely to badly strain your muscles.

I want to work on strength, stamina, flexibility, balance and weight loss.
And, swimming would help with all those (except balance would be helped to a much lesser extent).

Lizzie :)

Dancingfool,

Are you going to physical therapy. I started doing that almost immediately after the amp and before I got my limb. They really know what you should be working on.

If you're at home then being independant will help with body strength to a certain extent.

Everyone is different...have you asked your physio what sort of exercises you should be doing? I don't know what stage of rehab you're 'at'- if you're fairly early on you could try resistance exercises with something like TheraBand.

Lizzie

Just short of three months since the amp. The in hospital pt worked my legs with the Theraband. When I was relesed I had a couple visits at home from a different pt who said to use the Theraband for my arms only.

Thanks.

So, assuming you're not using it already, you could us a stronger grade of TheraBand, couldn't you? Of course, you need to check with your physio first.

Even tho' I swim a lot, I still use TheraBand every now & then, to strengthen specific muscle groups.

Lizzie :)

I know I beat this drum a bit......but Pilates is wonderful for core strength and overall muscle strength and stablity. (NOT Pirates Muz :lol: )

Also you could check out www.exrx.net to see specific stuff for each muscle group.

I use that site a lot to give my clients help with strength and stretch work.

Cat

Hi all,

I hope to get back to swimming soon but I'm working on core stability at the moment. I was introduced to the wobble cushion by by physiotherapist and use it all the time. I sit on it in my wheelchair for short periods of time, it's very good.

It can be used anywhere.

WOBBLE CUSHION

Has anyone with AKA been able to use a cross trainer? I've been offered one on loan but not sure if I would manage it?

Lynne

So, that's what it is...a wobble cushion! I've seen those at the physios & always wondered what they were. :)

What is a cross trainer Lynee?

Lizzie

Hello everyone - this is my favourite (erm, my only actually) form of exercise. It's a gyroscope - HUGE and awesome.

There used to be a lot of them at fun fairs a while ago, but apparantly they went out of vogue and now they are nowhere to be found. A friend of mine has one, but she won't sell it to me. <_< And the manufacturers closed down years ago.

This thing is stunning. I've tried it with my leg on, and leg off - such fun. And it works every single muscle, and then some muscles you didn't know you had. The first time I went on it, I was like a kid, and then I couldn't move for the next 3 days.

So if you come across one - hop on. It's fab! :P

gyroscope.jpg

Myself, I have to do a lot of things..................otherwise I turn into a beachball!!

- I wheel hard and fast up to the mall for a bit of coffee.

- Have a gym built into the basement area of the home that holds a tread mill and mini gym setup.

- put my stumpii under the edge of an old heavy coffee table so that I can do situps!!

ED

Only just got my first leg so very much confined to walking at the moment. I do have a treadmill which helps with building distance and stamina.

Eventually I want to get back to using the gym and running (to avoid christmas shopping :lol: )

Mike

What is a cross trainer Lynee?

A bad tempered physiotherapist???

And, I thought that they were called physioterrorists?! ;)

Hi, all.

Heres a cross trainer, sometimes called an Elliptical trainer.

c6_cen_500_84382.jpg

Cross Trainer

It looks a bit like cycling without a seat :D ? Anyone AKA used one?

Thanks........Lynne

i think when i answered this post I said no.

Its changed, i go swimmin a few times a week and REALLY enjoy it.

Andy

x x

If my other leg were 'OK' I'd probably excerise by walking (we have a dog which'd help). However as it is my only form of excerise is walking in limitation (ie around the house). I have in the past doen a few sit up's but due to problems with my neck I had to stop doing this. I enjoy swimming but getting into the pool at a quiet time (without kids) is nigh on imposbile.

dabbit, most swimming pools have club nights for elderly, ladies or impaired. Check with your pool as to what is available, early mornings is often good also.

PJ ;)

I'm not a great keep fit fanatic, Dabbit, but the last time I had to do any sit ups I remember the old way of doing it where your hands were clasped behind your neck was definitely out. This was because people tend to pull themselves up by the neck, rather than using the abdominal muscles, and cause themselves neck problems.

By the way what's with this "Merry Christmas" stuff. It's early Novemebr and still feels summery albeit with quite a lot of rain (as I said it still feels summery :)) It's too early for Christmas especially for "Ebenezar" Muz :D