• walking
    • gym
    • Bike riding
    • yoga
    • aerobics
    • philates
    • other

Hi Dabbit

I would seriously think about going swimming. My local pool has their elderly, disabled & ante-natal sessions combined...which can get quite 'interesting'. ;) I've given up going to those sessions as they moan because I'm too fast! :)

Although, I know how you feel about getting into a swimming pool - since I had my joint replacements, I've found it impossible to get into the pool by myself. But, thankfully our pool has special concessions for 'carers' - they get in free & so my friends can come along & help me get in & out of the pool & get a free swim too! :) Also, many pools have staff that will help if they know you need help. You could try talking to one of the pool managers, a few days before you are next going swimming, to see if they could make things easier for you.

Lizzie

Do many of you use an eliptical machine? I've tried but just can't get comfortable or stable enough. It just seems that the motion interferes with my leg. As a bka. I thought it would be a great thing but no such luck.

Caroln

Hi Carol,

I've been wanting to try one because I thought the same thing. Thought it would be like walking but with less pounding. Thanks for sharing the info.

i am a long time LAK. My exercise consists of using a Bowflex machine 3 times per week and walking on crutches for 30 minutes almost every day a local shopping malls. I find I feel much better with this exercise program - which I have followed for 30 + years.

i am a long time LAK. My exercise consists of using a Bowflex machine 3 times per week and walking on crutches for 30 minutes almost every day a local shopping malls. I find I feel much better with this exercise program - which I have followed for 30 + years.

Hullo! Wow a bowflex machine sounds like a really good workout! You obviously have determination to follow a good exercise plan for 30 plus years! Of course this is the only way to keep muscle tone! I sure wish my surgeons had warned me about keeping muscle tone and avoiding contractures a year ago!! I'm trying to rebuild what I lost!

Before moving I used to walk to the University, now I take walks in the University tunnels during my breaks so I can avoid the evil snow. I also lock the door to my bedroom and dance with my I pod on for two or three hours. Some times I go swimming but I haven't done that in a long time.

I've got one of these things. It looks good in the corner. Maybe one day I will actually use it.

fitnessstrider.jpg

:D

I've got one of these things. It looks good in the corner. Maybe one day I will actually use it.

Yes, but, how on earth do you use your ornament, Ally?

Lizzie :)

I have a "Total Gym"

I was told that you can do everything on it.???

So I tried doing everything and fell off, cricked my neck, hurt my back, tried to stand up and found my prosthesis had doffed itself and promptly fell down again and hurt my stump.

Then someone told me it was for excersising. :D :D :D

Oh well you live and learn !!!!

It's now folded away in the corner of my spare bedroom

I will learn how to use it one day :huh::blink:

John

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my, that was too funny John.

:P :P :P

I could see it. I could see it in my head. Oh lawdy lawd - that was definitely my smile for the day.

I have just started an exercise programme at a community gym, so far it is going ok, although haven't lost any weight yet !!

Ann

It's now folded away in the corner of my spare bedroom

I will learn how to use it one day :huh::blink:

But surely you ARE using it already. :huh:

You mean to tell me that it isn't currently a make-shift clothes horse?? :lol: :P

I have dumbells which I use for my arms and a gym ball which I'll sit on for about half an hour at a time playing Mario Kart.

I walk but not over massive distances and occaisonally set myself a challenge like getting up the stairs at work despite the fact that they've advised me not to!

I used to do a lot of walking, but unfortunately I got hit with depression and anxiety so I stopped and ended up putting on a few stone due to medication. My Leg got too tight and I found it hard to sit with my leg on let alone walk. I have had a new leg made since and am slowly starting again by walking the dog of an evening.

Walking (as little as possible), cycling (as much as possible - much easier than walking), and swimming.

Am going to start learning how to run on 11 June as well - have a feeling it might be a little bit more difficult than the cycling though.....

Ally and all,

I don't know if anyone is interested but I found a gyroscope site where they sell the human size ones. It is www.gyrogym.com

It does look like fun but it would be hard to find a place to store it!

Carol

I've probably already posted this somewhere so if I'm repeating myself, I apologize.

I have been going to the local YMCA since January and the trainer worked me out a program on the Nautilus equipment. I have finally figured out that I can walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes or so, do half my Nautilus workout, ride the stationary bike for 10 minutes and do the rest of my workout. That seems to work better than trying to do 20 minutes on the treadmill or bike all at once. They got 2 new eliptical machines that have sort of a half foot cover and I can do that for 10 minutes if I really push myself. The cover keeps my foot from "wandering". I have also been going to a Pilates class there twice a week. I really love the Pilates but need more cardio.

I swim 3-4 miles per week. A 40-42 minute mile swim is a good time for this 51 year old. That is similar to walking for 3 miles at one mile every 12-15 minutes .

I don't exercise because I see it as wasting my energy. I am very active though, and rather than waste my time at the gym (like my wife does) I prefer to see something for my efforts. I have just completed the restoration of what was a badly damaged car that has taken me nearly three years, and over winter because I went soft due to the cold, I ripped out a sandstone fireplace in the house and replaced it for a Victorian looking one. Also because the walls are over 18 inches thick in the house I managed to get the computer and monitor in the wall at the side of my chair.

I may not exercise as such but I can ache with the best. Now it is getting warmer I have to turn down the pace a little because it gets too hot in the socket very quickily.

I don't exercise because I see it as wasting my energy. I am very active though, and rather than waste my time at the gym (like my wife does) I prefer to see something for my efforts.

I completly agree. I get enough exercise climbing ladders, or cutting boards that exercises the muscles that I really do use daily, and not the ones in a gym. I have been pretty dormant this winter, (working on this @#$% computer :lol: ), that I 'm looking forward to this summer. I'm eyeing a back deck that I want to tear out and expand.

I'm not worried about the leg, or socket. It's the darn circulation, (arteriosclerosis), that they went in to fix 18 years ago, (which cost me a leg, the first of 43 operations to "fix" things), that is worse today and now is raising the dickens with the heart, (Angina). I just have to take it slower.

But as my 5 year old great grandaughter likes to say with a growl: "We'll, get 'er done!

Shouldn't that read "my wife prefers to see something from my efforts"?

I tend to work on cars quite a lot as I am skilled at it and I can manage well due to it not involving walking that much. Unfortunately my wife is not enthusiastic about cars so therefore I can only enjoy a finished car job on my own.

Well that is not exactly true as I have many friends who too apreciate the work I put into my projects and I help them out when asked and vice versa.

I have a wonderful wife and she does appreciate me but try as I do I still am unable to get her to change a wheel.

Edit button :D

in an emergency I am of the opinion that you should be able to change the wheel and tyre on a vehicle on your own before you go out in the car unless you have special breakdown cover. I think this for the sake of my wife's safety.

She always rings me when she gets a puncture and I have always been able to go to her assistance so far.

I didn't realise how ambiguous posting could be. :o

I really love the Pilates

Ahh, that Johnny Kidd could knock it out with the best of them :P

pirates4a.gif

Okay, I'm an ignorant American. Is this some singing group....? <_<