• Bike riding
    • yoga
    • aerobics
    • philates
    • other

Certainly was around 1960 :)

Sooo...do you remember them, Muz? :rolleyes:

Lizzie :)

Not really, but I do remember one or two of their records one of which was covered by Motorhead and Girlsschool many years later :)

I am an AK amputee and find exercise rather difficult concidering that I can no longer run with my current leg. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

Nicole B)

I can understand what a problem exercise for an AK can be. I am a LBK and biking presents no real tough problems. I have seen two One legged AK riders, but that takes lot of physical strength and skill. Also the one pedal has to be clip on so that you can pedal up and down. Paraplegics where I ride use racing wheel chairs and get a lot of uper body exercise. A racing wheel chair is quite expensive. I know this is not much help, but please keep trying.

I am an AK amputee and find exercise rather difficult concidering that I can no longer run with my current leg. Anyways, I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

Nicole B)

I can understand what a problem exercise for an AK can be. I am a LBK and biking presents no real tough problems. I have seen two One legged AK riders, but that takes lot of physical strength and skill. Also the one pedal has to be clip on so that you can pedal up and down. Paraplegics where I ride use racing wheel chairs and get a lot of uper body exercise. A racing wheel chair is quite expensive. I know this is not much help, but please keep trying.

I am bilateral b/k (one side limited), and altho. being an amputee for over 30 years had never really considered exercise until recently. I now go regularly to a gym 3 x a week, most of what I do is cardio, I do mainly upper body stuff but do use the exercise cycle but have to say find the reclining one much easier and use the rower for upper body only. However many of the exercises I do, either on the gym ball or on the floor would, I should think, be suitable for an AK, and probably could be done quite simply at home.

Altho. I still haven't lost enormous amounts of weight, the exercises have helped with aches and pains and the other thing I have noticed is an improvement in my balance.

Don't be put off by going to a gym, got to admit I was really nervous about this, but eventually found one I was comfortable with, explained everything about the limbs to the instructor who has given me an individual exercise plan. The others in the group I am in are varying in age, most of them my age or older, we all follow an individual exercise routine, and just get on with it, and we all have quite a laugh.

Ann

So, that's what it is...a wobble cushion! I've seen those at the physios & always wondered what they were. :)

What is a cross trainer Lynee?

Lizzie

http://www.ukfitnesssupplies.co.uk/mall/UK...ducts/800EL.jpg

I go to the gym a lot, was there this morning. I was proud of myself, did a couple of miles on the treadmill but 7 minutes was done running. I hate running on the treadmill because if something goes wrong you have no outs except go flying backwards so I was very proud of myself. I also do a bit of weights training. The cycling machine is my favourite along with the cross trainer (the cross trainer moves your arms and legs and is good for getting all your muscles moving Lizzie - a really good warm down machine actually).

I go to the gym a lot, was there this morning. I was proud of myself, did a couple of miles on the treadmill but 7 minutes was done running. I hate running on the treadmill because if something goes wrong you have no outs except go flying backwards so I was very proud of myself. I also do a bit of weights training. The cycling machine is my favourite along with the cross trainer (the cross trainer moves your arms and legs and is good for getting all your muscles moving Lizzie - a really good warm down machine actually).

It's sweet of you to answer Ali, but I doubt whether I'd be able to use a cross-trainer. I'm what you'd call a 'complex amp'...actually more accurately 'a very complex amp'! :D

I've found my own way of exercising: I go for mile long walks every day (walking for at least a mile at a time) & when I don't walk, I swim 1km (usually in 25 mins). As I walk with crutches (more for stability than anything else), I exercise the majority of my muscles.

I like it - a very complex amp. :lol: A nice rating system to use:

Not complex

Complex

Very complex

It will be in all my patient notes :D

I am a LBK and before my amputation!! i went to the gym five times a week. I am slowly starting to walk again, and have set myself to be back at the gym in six weeks time. I dont half miss it, and it will be hard to get back to the level of fitness i was!! but i,m just glad that i will be able to go training again, and to start swimming again too. :)

Remember that when walking a transtibial amputee uses something like 25% more energy than a person who is fully functional so if you are not able to do as much then it is understandable. I think a transfemoral amputee uses something like 75% more energey (although the C-leg is surely going to reduce that), it is really amazing to think about.

Do you have one of the silicone liners or do you have a socket that comes up over the knee and pushes in above the knee Kimbo?

Never really was one for exercise but as part of my rehab from an ankle op in january i started going to the gym 3 times a week.

I started off at Dragons gym in brentwood, people there especially the manager where great and very helpful. About 2 months ago I swapped to Redbridge leisure centre (http://www.rslonline.co.uk/) after a lot of research on the subject and stumbling on this http://www.londonsportsforum.org.uk/regional.html

I use the hand cycle and recumbant bike for cardio and about 10-12 other machines for legs and upper body, I've recently swapped the bike for a cross trainer (orbital), hard work but get a very good workout on it.

On Friday after a lot of investigation I went out and bought myself a mountain bike and am finding it a fantastic exercise and great for getting out and about. Just had a bike rack torun up for the car so at the weekend I'm planning to go and explore hainault forest :)

Almost a year ago I took up a martial art, Tae Kwon Do, for my daughters sake - basically my husband had been doing it with my son for four years and she wanted to start and then a couple of weeks later they both got their black belts and she was feeling left out doing it on her own (they were in a different class) so as I desperately needed to start exercising again I (foolishly) agreed to do it with her for a couple of months till she found her feet!! Amazingly I found I really enjoyed it and although it is horrendously hard, I still find even the basic movements and stances challenging due to balance problems - I am so far managing to keep up with her and the rest of the class. We are still both a long way (at least three years) from our black belts - if I ever manage to get there - but it is something to aim for.

Im not on my feet yet, but I swim every day (Im up to 5 laps :o ) and lift light weights. I havent gotten the go ahead from the doctors but sometimes you got to do...

Depends on what you do at the top of the curl.....

If you're doing 1/2 oz. curls by the end of the reps, well............... ;)

Depends on what you do at the top of the curl.....

If you're doing 1/2 oz. curls by the end of the reps, well............... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Nicole,

Before my BKA I was involved in fairly active form of exercise (swimming, brisk walking, wall climbing) but I have found those hard to return. I was never a "gym" kind of person, but I have become one, not fanatic, but a regular user. I have seen the benefits of strengthen exercise and that is what keeps me motivated. I have also gotten to know the people who are there when I am usually there, so I don't feel so isolated or that exercise is a drag as I did with my treadmill at home--I am still cautious of the treadmill.

This summer when work is not such a crush (I teach) I hope to get back to swimming with the SwimFins I have.

Hope this helps.

Peace, Beth Marie

Hi Nicole,

Before my BKA I was involved in fairly active form of exercise (swimming, brisk walking, wall climbing) but I have found those hard to return. I was never a "gym" kind of person, but I have become one, not fanatic, but a regular user. I have seen the benefits of strengthen exercise and that is what keeps me motivated. I have also gotten to know the people who are there when I am usually there, so I don't feel so isolated or that exercise is a drag as I did with my treadmill at home--I am still cautious of the treadmill.

This summer when work is not such a crush (I teach) I hope to get back to swimming with the SwimFins I have.

Hope this helps.

Peace, Beth Marie

Why not try cycling, gets you out and about again and into the countryside. I can only walk probably 1 mile before I'm all in but I can cycle 30+ miles with ease. The feeling of freedom it gives you is fab :)

It's sweet of you to answer Ali, but I doubt whether I'd be able to use a cross-trainer. I'm what you'd call a 'complex amp'...actually more accurately 'a very complex amp'! :D

I've found my own way of exercising: I go for mile long walks every day (walking for at least a mile at a time) & when I don't walk, I swim 1km (usually in 25 mins). As I walk with crutches (more for stability than anything else), I exercise the majority of my muscles.

They refer to me as a complex amp too Lizzie. As a bilateral I find that the treadmill and cross trainer is a bit of a no go area for me, throws me off balance completely.

I think this forum demonstrates how as amps we are all so different. With me a lot depends on whether the limb is fitting ok and whether I can walk in it ok, when it is I will walk plenty, sometimes go to the gym etc. At the moment its being troublesome, however, after a day on crutches yesterday and a day of doing housework today from in and out the wheelchair, I think I am exercising quite a few of those muscles.

Hi, I use resistance band quiet friquently. You can pick them up at almost any store in the fitness section and they range from 9 to 20 dollars depending on the wieght range you are looking for. Just basically giant rubber bands. Its great for cosentrated exercise on my limb. You can wrap them around your legs to do leg lifts at any level you are comfterble with. hope this helps.

I do 20 minutes of floor exercises, stretching, aerobics and bar bells, before dressing and donning my limbs each morning. I've also joined a mall walker's group and 'wheel' in my wheelchair for 30 - 60 minutes, two to three miles, 3 - 4 times a week. Being a 65 year old bilateral AK, while I walk around the house and yard as well as trips into the bank or variety store I've had to use a wheelchair more for the last 10 of my 35 years as an amputee. It helps me keep my weight within a 5 lb range.

I sit on one of those excersise/gym balls and then use one of those mini pedal bikes (where ust just the pedals) and work out like that - its a great work out for thighs, stomach, back, bum and cardio at the same time. I would recommend investing in the gym ball they're fantastic and there's so many excerises you can do with and without your leg so you can work out on 'bad' days.

Bex x

hello!

how do u keep your foot from sliding off of pedal? you just use one of those straps on pedal?

have you tried running on treadmill?

thanks

sue

Hope this helps.

Peace, Beth Marie

Why not try cycling, gets you out and about again and into the countryside. I can only walk probably 1 mile before I'm all in but I can cycle 30+ miles with ease. The feeling of freedom it gives you is fab :)