Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

We are in the process of finding an activity we can do as a family. One thing we thought would be fun is bike riding. I'm an AK amputee and have found it hard in the past to get my center of balance on a two-wheeler. At one time, someone had pointed me in the direction of a website that made some really cool bikes for amputees but I've lost the link. Does anyone know a site with this type of thing? I'd love to get on a bike again. It's been too long. I was a kid the last time I rode. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We are in the process of finding an activity we can do as a family. One thing we thought would be fun is bike riding. I'm an AK amputee and have found it hard in the past to get my center of balance on a two-wheeler. At one time, someone had pointed me in the direction of a website that made some really cool bikes for amputees but I've lost the link. Does anyone know a site with this type of thing? I'd love to get on a bike again. It's been too long. I was a kid the last time I rode. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Might take a look here http://www.mtb-amputee.com/LegAmputees.htm

Jen you might also use heavy duty velcro....I have used this before...I have a c-leg and I put a piece on the bottom of the tennis shoes that I onlt wore with bike riding and then I put the other piece on the peddle...I know that sounds crazy...but it works..... B)

I rode bikes with Gary Summers a 52-year-old left leg above-knee amputee with Amputees Across America, and he had no prior experience.

Here is his bio:

Gary Summers is a 52-year-old left leg above-knee amputee. A life time resident raised in the farming community of Mount Sterling ,Ohio, Gary farmed with his father for 31 years and has worked for John Deere Company the last 21-years . Gary and his wife Trudy have a daughter Lori, a son-in-law Rich and son Troy as well as two step-granddaughters and a grandson.

On April 26, 2003, Gary was riding his motorcycle on a back country highway when another motorcycle came at him on a curve, on the wrong side of the road, striking him head-on. After two weeks trying to save his leg it had to be amputated. Four days after getting home from the hospital, Raymond Francis, Chief of Prosthetic Services, Ohio Willow Wood met with him and began the process of fitting him with a new leg. After three months of convalescence and working to regain his health and ability to walk again, Gary went back to work at John Deere. As you can tell Gary has not slowed down much from this amputation. He gives God the Praise and Glory for putting him in a community that gave him and Trudy the support and determination to go on in life and stay active. Gary has since bought another motorcycle with sidecar and plans to continue to tour the highways and byways.

Gary’s love for God, Family and Church has given him a greater out-look on life and knows he needs to share how a trauma of this kind can be overcome.

His aim for riding in the Amputees Across America Bicycle trip is to help others to regain the determination it takes to live a fulfilling life and not stay on the sidelines waiting. Besides a little Bicycling will do the body some good he says !

post-53-1152674850_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your responses.

wrjwrj - What is that bike in your icon? It looks interesting.

FYRFYTER WAYNE - Good idea. I know when I've ridden a stationary bike I've had problems with my foot flying off. :lol: BTW, how are you liking your C-leg? I went through a testing group for it but couldn't tolerate it myself. It was so heavy, and I had to think so much about what I was doing. I've been an amputee for 22 years now though with a pretty basic leg, and I think I've got the you can't teach an old dog new tricks syndrome. Anyway, it just wasn't for me but I've talked to a few people who have used it as basically their first prosthesis and have really liked it. I could see the potential in it that's for sure.

JohnnyV - Thanks for that link. That would be a cool thing to take part in. I wonder how long it took Mr. Summers to get steady on his bike? I'd like to talk to an AK who rides a bike like that. I'll have to see if I can find some contact information. Thanks again!

It is a Sun EZ3. About the lowest price recumbent trike you can get, but this is the third summer I have used it and other than replacing the tires it has held up very well. Have about 2000 miles on it so far.

There are lots of different trikes out there, most for the cost of a small car though. :)

Here is Sun's site. http://www.sunbicycles.com/sun/recumbents.htm

--Bill

I've been cruising the internet and keep reading about AKAs who ride two-wheelers with no problem, so yesterday I decided to hop onto my daughter's bike and give it a try. Oh Lord! All of you in the US who are familiar with Funniest Home Videos, I was a perfect candidate. :P Needless to say, I need practice. I don't know how they do it (they meaning AKAs who can ride).