Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nicoler

AK Sockets?

Ok, I need your help people! For those of you who are AK, how in the holy moley, do you get your hips to look even? Is there any kind of socket that looks natural. I walk natural, but I really would like to get rid of all those lumpy things! What kind of knee do you prefer? And how do you cover your knee to look natural?

Keep in mind that I wear pants and long skirts.

Nicole B)

Hey Nicole!

You've hit on a topic that has always been a bugbear of mine too! Sockets are getting better and a new design has just come out. Read all about it here.

I want my next socket to be a Marlo Ortiz design - they look fab!

Best Wishes

Mandy

Hi Brenda

Do you know of any Brit A/K's that have a MAS socket, is it more suitable for longer stumps?

Has anyone come across the SIMBEX system? it uses fluid too help with support and comfort

regards

Paul :huh:

Paul

I know Dorset Ortho was the first UK clinic to try the MAS design and there are at least 3 amps in this country who have one. Perhaps you should give Dorset a call and see whether they would help you get in touch with these amps?

Best Wishes

Mandy

Thanks Mandy

I'm trying to resist going private, we will have to see how things pan out this year.

I will try this Tec liner system first, it did feel good when I tried it again last week, my final leg is being made up at the moment

Regards

Paul :o

Keep on keeping on (Chris Moon)

Hello Paul: Well, long time no speak, but I want you to know that I am on the verge of a breakthrough in the socket problem. My socketless socket will be developed shortly for testing and I'll let you know how it works out. It will change the industry entirely by making limbs available 'off the shelf' and eliminate an aggravating problem -- crap that simply doesn't work worth a crap.

Mack

HAHAHA

'off the shelf' and eliminate an aggravating problem -- crap that simply doesn't work worth a crap.

An off the shelf socket hmmmm wonder how that will eliminate an aggravating problem? When I buy shoes off the shelf I still try them on to make sure they fit properly.. Let me know how this all works out.

Brenda

Socketless socket... off the shelf legs... Oh, please tell me this isn't going to be one of those things where they stick a bolt to the tip of the bone and through the skin and then attach the leg to that. Osteointegration?

One word... OUCH!!!

One more, actually... YUCK!!!

Hello Paul:    Well, long time no speak, but I want you to know that I am on the verge of a breakthrough in the socket problem.  My socketless socket will be developed shortly for testing and I'll let you know how it works out.  It will change the industry entirely by making limbs available 'off the shelf' and eliminate an aggravating problem -- crap that simply doesn't work worth a crap.

Mack

HAHAHA

Hello again pleg,

As you might expect, I'm not going to let you get away with that.

What ever this miracle is, it's very unlikely it's going to 'change the industry entirely'. You should know more than most that you need people on your side to make something a success, you need prosthetists and manufacturers and supply networks etc. etc.

I'm sure you would get alot more support for your ideas if you were more measured in what you say about them. I believe you offer false hope to people who really don't need that. At best all you'll be able to offer is another option, sometime.... when?... it doesn't help.

And again, you're calling everything else 'crap'... get rid of that chip on your shoulder, it's weighing you down.

Tell us all about it when you have something to say and something to offer.. we all want it cheaper, lighter, faster and off the shelf... that's not news.

Happy New Year

Hi Mack

Pleased your still going forward. My J-leg is still working well, was in Paris at the weekend and walked the grounds at Versailles.

I have pretty much given up with the NHS in Britain, the Tec system they have developed for me has failed yet again.

But I can only use it with the swing phase knee which is twice as heavy as the J-leg.

Interested in your no socket concept, you'll have to enlighten us a bit more on that.

Have you developed the J-leg any further?

Thanks for 20 months of mobility, my MP has refered me to the priminister as he feels that nobody cares about the state of prothstetics in the UK.

The Simbex system is outlawed in Europe at the moment, and Tec is a bit of a disaster. For me I'm looking at further surgery or private socket systems.

Air suction does'nt give me the protection I require on the end of my stump!

Does anyone out ther attend Dorset Orthapedics, is their service good/better than NHS?

Paul :(

I know I'm sounding like a stuck record, but YES Dorset was miles better than my NHS fitting center! It's darn pricey though with the lowest range leg starting at £4k.

The socket on my NHS limb was incorrectly made by a prosthetist who had no experience with suction sockets for AKA's. She'd basically given me a 'plug fit' which is ancient technology. After a year of battling with the NHS I gave up. It took 4 weeks with my Dorset prosthetist to get a fabulous leg and the maintenance up until now has been free. That was 3 years ago and I am still happy with the service.

I realise your prosthesis is more difficult to fit than mine but I'd be willing to bet they do a far better job for you than the NHS.

Best Wishes

Mandy

Thanks Mandy

I going to give them a try, as you say the NHS don't seem to get things right, they've left me feeling that I am asking for something that does'nt exist!

I 've tried my damdest with this Tec liner socket and total knee set up, its not for me.......the socket either rotates or slides down every time you sit down, and the leg is incredibly heavy.

Do you have a consultation and discuss your needs and do Dorset make recomendations?

Thanks again

Paul :huh:

Hi Paul

Are you aware that you can go to Dorset as an NHS patient. About 10 years ago I went for a consultation as I was thinking about private treatment, but being bi-lateral it was out of my price range for limbs. Think the consultation, then, cost me about £80. Ended up getting a NHS referral from GP for out of area treatment. Limbs were made quite quickly, and am still wearing one of them now.

I know going out of area is difficult, you do really have a fight on your hands, but its not impossible. It also takes quite a long time to do, not much good if you are in a hurry to get mobile!

Theoreticaly, you should be allowed be sent for a second opinion at another centre.

Paul

Yes, there is an initial consultation which will cost you. Mine was in the region of £80 as well but I think it is now £100. The consultation is pretty thorough and they go through all the different options they can offer you. You get a detailed cost breakdown at the end of it. I got 2 quotes as I hadn't made my mind up about knee and foot components.

Ann is right - you can get referred to Dorset as an NHS patient.

Best Wishes

Mandy

Many thanks ladies, I will let you know how it goes

Waiting for the sun

Paul ;)