Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

And well, for any other amps who ride a recumbent trike!

I've done some research into local cycleries that carry the Sun EZ3 and the price is within my range (from $799 to 899 for the exact same bike -- guess which store I'll choose!?).

Bill, do you use a clip or a pedal extender to keep your prosthesis on the pedal (on the amp side)? I'm RBK, and when I use my stationary bike, my foot keeps slipping off the pedal with a huge BANG!

My husband and I had a wake up call nearly two weeks ago when he suffered a major heart attack. He is doing very well now, but we've taken this as the kick in the butt to get ourselves in gear and take charge of our health!

I gots big feet. I have alway centered the pedal in the middle of my foot. The clip ons I tried when I first started and was having the same fall off the pedal problem. The clips lasted about two blocks before my clodhoppers ripped them off.

I tried a bungee cord a couple of times, but it was awkward for me so I gave up on it. Basically I was out of shape enough that slow peddling and coasting for a week got my mind adjusted to where me foot was on the pedal, that and staring at my foot every little bit.

Within a couple of weeks I had all but stopped falling off the pedal and unless I really hit a big bump or a dip my foot stays in place.

I wish I had gotten the pedal extenders after I messed up the deraillurs twice, and I may put them on over the winter yet. I set my foot so I stay an inch or so from the inside edge of the pedal and that keeps me out of the gears and still keeps all the metal part of my foot on the pedal.

Find a nice flat parking lot and just make laps around it. After a while the pressure at the bottom of your stump tells you your foot is solid on the pedal.

B)

-Bill

Thanks!

I may get the pedal extenders -- do most bike shops carry such a thing? I only heard of them on the amp forums. For some reason, even tho my leg is aligned correctly when I stand and walk, when I sit on my stationary bike, my toes cant out somewhat... I have no idea what this is about! But it does make it harder to keep my foot directly on the pedal. The first time it slipped off, it made this huge racket and scared the daylights outta me!

I'm really (REALLY!) wanting this trike... Even if I can't get one until August, I can still ride through October, so pretty cool... If I could just move south and have bike riding weather year round... I'm dreaming here!

:D

If the shop carries the trike they can probably order the extenders just a quick.

I generally have to wear 10-12 plys of socks by evening, which is the only change I have to ride. I usually reduce the number of socks I'm wearing so there is a little free ply in my leg and I can swivel it to the best angle on the pedal.

Make sure you get a flag to put on the back. Most everbody can see me coming, but a flag helps out just a little bit more.

-Bill

Bill, the flag is a sure thang for me... I want to make sure everyone sees me! People drive like fools around here.

However, right in town they drive really slow. Our town is a well known speed trap! So I would feel pretty safe cruising around uptown. We also have a really cool bike path that goes for miles. I'd have to put the trike in the truck and drive to the path, but once there, I could spend a day on the bike path. Very scenic and filled with other bikers.

I'll let you know when I get the trike! Whoo hoo! (And thanks for steering me to this particular maker. I'd researched recumbent trikes and most of them were $2,000+ -- way outta my range for now!)

Marylin, I recently bought a TerraTrike from WizWheelz and am having more fun on a bike than ever before. It's easy to pedal, the seat is as comfortable as my recliner and the ability to get outside and exercise again is wonderful. The Weimaraner runs alongside and she's enjoying it as much as I am.

Marylin, I recently bought a TerraTrike from WizWheelz and am having more fun on a bike than ever before. It's easy to pedal, the seat is as comfortable as my recliner and the ability to get outside and exercise again is wonderful. The Weimaraner runs alongside and she's enjoying it as much as I am.

Now, that's cool! :)