Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ali.hall

Hi everyone

Hey there everyone.

My name is Ali, I am 20 years old and am from Omagh in Northern Ireland. I lost my right leg, below knee, in the Omagh bomb (1998). I go to Musgrave Hospital in Belfast to have my limbs fitted. I currently have a PTB socket with a Ossur Ceterus foot (and what a foot it is :D).

I am also a student in Strathclyde University studying Prosthetics and Orthotics. I just finished second year and passed all my exams so will be heading into third year in September. I will be really interested to read what you all have to say about the various products on the market and your views on your limbs and some of the problems you have.

Hope to have fun as well :D

G'day Ali glad you found us. :D

Hope you enjoy your time here..join in the fun.

Welcome,

Cat

Welcome to the forum, Ali. :D

I believe Stathclyde has an excellent reputation! B)

Tell me, how do you find being a student prosthetist/orthotist, after being a patient?

Lizzie :)

Welcome to the forum, Ali. :D

I believe Stathclyde has an excellent reputation! B)

Tell me, how do you find being a student prosthetist/orthotist, after being a patient?

Lizzie :)

Thanks guys. Yeah Strathclyde is apparently one of the best places in the world to do the course, which will hopefully be good for me. Being a patient was strange, I lost my leg when I was 12 and it was tough to keep up with my friends at school and the like. I became very interested in the whole subject though and did some work experience at Musgrave in Belfast and then started uni. I love it over there and when I was doing below knee prosthetics I really felt I had something extra to give because I had some first hand experience, which I think helped a lot. We have also completed above knee prosthetics and have been working on the orthotics side of things for a while now (all lower limb still). As much as I like orthotics, I think I still am more suited to prosthetics hopefully I will be able to bring my knowledge from my leg into my clinical work, well that is the plan anyway.

The real difference is now I am learning about all the products it is really interesting to see why I have had certain things done and it is good to know all my options. I don't know if there are any other prosthetists on these forums but I hope if you have any problems I will be able to help you guys (although I am still a student remember :D).

WELCOME ALI :)

YOU HAVE PICKED A PERFECT PROFESSION...... WHO WOULD UNDERSTAND BETTER THAN A FELLOW AMPUTEE.....BRAVO!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU & GOD BLESS

Pattilyn :D

Hello Ali! :D Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've found us. :D

Welcome to the forum! Ah, if I were younger I would love to go into the prosthetics industry...

You'll have lots to contribute here, and we'll bug you for info!

Hi Ali, a big welcome to the forum. Best of luck in your studies. We need more good prosthetists.

Hi, Ali, and welcome! This is, indeed, a very friendly and supportive bunch!

Let me add my "vote" to the others' who think you're looking at the right field of endeavor. I know that being an amp does not necessarily guarantee that you'll be a great prosthetist... but it sounds like you have the interest and ability to combine your studies with your status as an amputee, and THAT can be a very powerful combination! The prosthetics technician who builds my legs is a BK like myself, and he's been a godsend, not just because he's very skilled at his job, but because he's always been willing and able to apply his personal experience to provide support and tips to his patients. For a looong time, he was the only younger, active, agile amp I knew, and I owe him a LOT for what he did to get me back into the world!

Enjoy your stay with us... just jump in and have some fun!

take care... cherylm

Guest bearlover

Welcome Ali, Hope your doing well! I also am a LBK due to a birth defect......Hope you meet some good people here and also exchange some information..Again Welcome ;) :)

Hi Ali

sorry for the late response. But welcome here, it's a really neat place to come.

Lesley

Hi Ali, A belated welcome from me. I appreciate you offering your help and advice, I may talk technical with you in the future. :D

Hi there Ali - let me add my welcome. Always nice to have a prosthetist on board. Like Marcia said, we need more like you.

I'm Ally - RAK from South Africa. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks all, you have all made me feel very welcome and as I have said, i hope to stay around, hopefully will be able to post a bit more in the future than I have been doing, it is all this nice weather.