Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sampson

help please

I was just wondering if anybody out there knows where I could find some help to get a new prosthetic. I had my leg removed at the age of 6 1/2 weeks of age.. I went through Shriners growing up... but lost that help at the age of 21 ... I am now 26 and badly need a new leg... I have tried disablity but they tell me Im not diabled. So there for I dont get the insurance to help me pay for a leg... If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.. Thanks so much for your time...

I'd say speak with your previous prosthetist and ask for help or a referral to someone who could help you.

I agree with Jen, but also try your local VocRehab program. They will sometimes pay for prosthetics to keep people working. I was told to use them when I needed a new leg before my insurance would pay more. There are other avenues, but your prosthetist will have to guide you on those.

It also depends on where you live. Are you in the US?

Thank you so much for that advise...the problem with both though is first I live in Montana and I got my legs from Washington.. so I cant get help out of State.. Second, VocRehab wont help because Im not working and not going to school... My husband and I have 5 kids so Im a stay at home mom... But thanks so much for all your suggestions and help :)

Sampson, one day I was talking to my prosthetist and told him I felt sorry for folks that don't have insurance and who need prosthesis. His answer to me was that a prosthetist can usually find SOME WAY to help people who need limbs.

Check with someone locally... maybe there is help out there. Raising 5 children is a job!!

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for that advise... maybe I will try that..we actually dont have anybody right here in my town... but I will check into that... Yes raising 5 kids is a job... matter of fact its a full time one at that... But I love every min or it and wouldnt change it... Thanks again for your advise... :)

I don't live in the States so I'm uncertain of the way your health care system works. Sampson you do work being a Mum is a job (in our country anyway).

I'm not sure if www.limbsforlife.org could help you-their in the states and try to get legs for people who have difficulty obtaining them.

Good luck

Hi, Sampson...

Another possibility is the Barr Foundation. I don't have details, but I've read some about them on the "Stumps R Us" site. You might want to check it out... My Webpage (Hope that link works... it's the first time I've tried inserting one here!)

Good luck with your search... it should NOT have to be this hard!

take care... cherylm

Thank you guys so much.. those two sites were very helpful... I appriciate all responses...

Your right it shouldnt be this hard to get a leg... I cant believe the hoops you have to jump through just to get something you need.. I have applied for disablity 4 times and all 4 times been turned down..but I see all sorts of people that are granted disablity that dont really need it.. I just dont get it... I dont really care about the money I would get.. Im more interested in the help with getting a leg... that fits me right and works.. Im a very active person... so my knee cylinders are burnt out.. no more hydrolic fluid left in them... so it clucks alot..lol...but what do you do... live with it..lol.. not much else to do...

Well anyway thanks everybody for all your help.. I greatly appriciate it! :blink:

What type of knee unit do you have? If it is a Mauch write or call them and explain your situation to them. To rebuild a unit is $800 to$1000. They or a prosthesist will lone you a unit until yours is rebuilt. Work out a payment plan. These people are in business but are not heartless. My insurance pays 80% up to $4000 a year. Does your husband's insurance pay anything toward prosthetics?

What type of knee unit do you have? If it is a Mauch write or call them and explain your situation to them. To rebuild a unit is $800 to$1000. They or a prosthesist will lone you a unit until yours is rebuilt. Work out a payment plan. These people are in business but are not heartless. My insurance pays 80% up to $4000 a year. Does your husband's insurance pay anything toward prosthetics?

Here is a link to Mauch. http://www.ossur.com/template110.asp?pageid=11