Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lisa

Disability Living Allowance

I had heard that it was quite difficult to successfully claim disability living allowance. I have been extremely lucky as I was given some excellent advice from the Midland Association for Amputees and Friends on how to complete the forms out correctly and I'm one of the lucky ones who have been awarded it. I must admit that I didn't relish completing 50 pages of STUPID questions especially as there didn't seem much hope of me receiving it. The point to my posting is that it is worth completing a form and getting advice even if you think you won't get a penny. Just think what a difference the extra money could do should you be awarded it.

Lisa

All Amputees are entitled to the DLA payment. The amount you receive is dependant on the level of EXTRA care you reqiure.

As long as your amputation is above the ankle or wrist you WILL get it.

Mike.

All Amputees are entitled to the DLA payment. The amount you receive is dependant on the level of EXTRA care you reqiure.

Mike.

WHAT!!!!! don't think so.... I would have to lie to get it.... within the first couple of questions..... and I'm an AK.... I would need ALOT of 'advice'...

Mike.

Hi

I dont think so to go to some of the meeting they have for Amputee's and see how many dont qualify for DLA- BK - AK and Arm's missing.

Pat.

Hi Lisa

I'm AK & BK, and when I first applied (as a teenager) even though my rehab consultant accurately predicted (when writing in support of my claim) that some of my joints would become arthritic, if I didn't have access to the DLA Mobility component (Mobility Allowance), I was refused on initial application, appeal and tribunal.

Thankfully, there has been a 'relaxation' in recent years & good advice is available now, but, from what I've heard, it's still difficult for single amps to get the DLA. So it's useful to know where you can get good advice - here's another place for good advice.

Lizzie :)

That bhas site is really interesting Lizzie, thank you.... it does put it all in a new light. However, I'd still have to stretch the truth to an extent that I'm not willing to..... unfortunately :(

I think it's more a moral question than if you actually have a right to it. It's whether you could feel happy with yourself if you're getting something for nothing off the state because you've been 'trained' to answer the questions in the right way.

That's how I see it, I realise most won't agree...

If I had a need for something that cost me serious money because of my disability I might consider it, but even then, we all have some cross to bear, surely we should just get on with it, not study hard at how to get the most out of the 'system'.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't got anything against genuine cases claiming benefit's they are entitled to, but when you're a borderline case like me, I'd just prefer to fall on the side of not claiming. Hopefully this will secure the benefit for those that NEED it.

My apologises ONLY Bi lats are guaranteed payment.

Answer given word for word in writing by the DLA,

"You are entitled to the higher rate because you have had both legs amputated above the ankle or through the ankle or you were born without legs or feet.

Hope that clears that up.

Mike

I never did too much deep-digging into any benefits for South Africans, but this is what is offered....

You may not work in order to claim.

If you CAN NOT work, then you will receive R749 per month. Work this back people. It's less than 70 quid per month and around $170 per month.

Eh?

<_<

Benefits if you are working.....

You may claim all your medical expenses from your yearly tax.

And that's all the government told me....in an official e-mail.

:rolleyes::huh::huh:

Spot the mistake........

My apologises ONLY Bi lats are guaranteed payment.

Answer given word for word in writing by the DLA,

"You are entitled to the higher rate because you have had both legs amputated above the ankle or through the ankle or you were born without legs or feet.

Hope that clears that up.

Mike

LOL.... cheers Mike, it does..... :P

Mike.

Sorry Mike, your wrong. Disability Living Allowance is issued after a DWP Doctor carries out a survey at the claimants home and assess there need on a set criteria. the claimants case is then put forward to a panel who judge the merits of the case and give a decision. Claimants are not means tested, but many have to appeal to justify there need for support. This review will then be carried out every 18 months until the DWP consider this to be a life long issue.

I know many amputees some above knee that have failed to get DLA for one reason or another.

Sorry to have to correct you on this fact

PJ :)

Have already corrected myself in that I have said only bi-lats are guaranteed to get it. It's in the form. Extra visits are required for the care componant side of the claim. Have only just renewed mine and because I lost the care side of it, I will no longer have to resubmit any claim in the future because I am a Bi-lat.

geeeeeeeeeeeeesh not sure if we canadians get anyting here for being an amp accept --- ------- by there government and told we are not disabaled for tax credit lol. Maybe welfare. 50 pages to fill out is a bit much, did they ask you how many squares of toilet paper you use per sit lol. Maybe you could post it in the site so we can all get a look at it. I M gonna get sometihng on a roll if its ok. I am gonna post the tax disability credit info fro :rolleyes: m canadian government then you can all have a good laugh.

geeeeeeeeeeeeesh not sure if we canadians get anyting here for being an amp accept ___ _______ by there government and told we are not disabaled for tax credit lol. Maybe welfare. 50 pages to fill out is a bit much, did they ask you how many squares of toilet paper you use per sit lol. Maybe you could post it in the site so we can all get a look at it. I M gonna get sometihng on a roll if its ok. I am gonna post the tax disability credit info fro :rolleyes: m canadian government then you can all have a good laugh.

What? :o Only 50 pages?! :P

Don't worry, you're not alone...we have a massive booklet to fill in to claim DLA, Stinker. :blink:

Those of you in England who have applied previously or are thinking about it, my advice is apply and keep applying until you do get it. I know it is such a drag as there are so many forms to fill out, but you are entitled to it. It's not about lying or exaggerating as we all have days worse than others. I was told by someone who advises amputees that he has known amputees not to receive anything and yet someone who had corns on their feet to get the highest rate. Don't let this put you off! This just made me more determined that I was going to get what I was entitlted to. This benefit is not means tested and you can claim it even if you are working and earning a good wage. The bottom line is you are entitled to it!!!!!!!! Contact your local Amputees and friends society or disability direct they will help you fill the form out correctly as it is all about the wording, not about lying or exaggerating. If anybody is successful let us know.

Lisa

Those of you in England who have applied previously or are thinking about it, my advice is apply and keep applying until you do get it. I know it is such a drag as there are so many forms to fill out, but you are entitled to it. It's not about lying or exaggerating as we all have days worse than others. I was told by someone who advises amputees that he has known amputees not to receive anything and yet someone who had corns on their feet to get the highest rate. Don't let this put you off! This just made me more determined that I was going to get what I was entitlted to. This benefit is not means tested and you can claim it even if you are working and earning a good wage. The bottom line is you are entitled to it!!!!!!!! Contact your local Amputees and friends society or disability direct they will help you fill the form out correctly as it is all about the wording, not about lying or exaggerating. If anybody is successful let us know.

Lisa

This is the bit I don't get..... why am I entitled to it? Just because someone who has corns gets it doesn't mean that it's OK if I 'bend the truth' a little to fill in the forms so I can get it.

If I were to fill in those forms honestly I would be turned down, if that's the case then surely I'm not entitled to it.... it's as simple as that.

If my circumstances change I may apply, but why would I keep applying if not?

I was told by someone who advises amputees that he has known amputees not to receive anything and yet someone who had corns on their feet to get the highest rate. Don't let this put you off! This just made me more determined that I was going to get what I was entitlted to. This benefit is not means tested and you can claim it even if you are working and earning a good wage. The bottom line is you are entitled to it!!!!!!!!

I agree that you should get advice on how to fill out the form and that you should try and try again, but please don't compare an amputee to someone who has corns. The two conditions are completely different.

If the person who had corns, received the highest level of the mobility component, there was obviously a good reason. I should imagine that the person probably had a systemic condition such as diabetes (probably unstable or 'brittle' diabetes) and that they also had neurovascular corns...corns, I might add, that are notoriously difficult to treat and extremely painful.

Everyone is different, Lisa, and so every case should be viewed individually.

Lisa

Hi

If we are in a wheelchair we look disabled.

our friend was coming of a disabled Toilet when someone asked her if she was disabled as she had no sign's of being disabled.

Our friend as Cancer and was changing her Stowma.

So if someone got DLA because of corn's they may have something else wrong with them who are we to judge.

Pat.

Why is everyone getting so stressed! The point I am trying to make is that if you are turned down don't be disheartened reapply! For those of you that don't want to apply fine don't! There are alot of people out there who would be put off by all the forms that have to be completed who deserve this money. The example I used was just that!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

I am not stressed if you put a posting on here you will get people make comment's it's not being stressed it's called having an opinion.

Pat

Ok this topic is just too controversial and needs to be locked or deleted NOW

This is starting to make sense now!

I agree because there will always be someone who tries to twist your good intentions into something that it isn't. Shame really as there could be people out there who may now be put off from applying. Yes everyone has an opinion but what I have put in my posting has been completely taken out of context.

Hi Lisa

I have not disagreed with you in what you have said about reapplying I have not said you were wrong in saying about some people getting it that seem to have very little wrong with them I only told you about my friend who had cancer.

I have not tried to take part's of your posting out of context all I have done is put my point of view.

At no time did I say that people should not apply and I hope putting my opinion as not put people off applying as that seems to be what as been suggested.

I have been on this site from the beginning and I hope what I have posted as not offended anybody because it was not meant to at anytime as I said we all have our own opinion's and let's keep it that way.

And yes if you or anybody think you are entitled to claim DLA go for it.

Lisa no offense was meant in my replies to just making comment's sorry if you thought I was having a go at you.

Pat.