Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shane

A perfect 4 point landing!

So, I'm waiting in the shop for two new customers (racer=repeat business! :D )to show up. Then here they come up the drive, so I clean my hands to go out to greet them. I'm walking out to their vehicle and just as I'm raising my hand to shake..UMPH!!!flat on my face. :blink: Talk about first impressions! I stepped on a rock with my heel, which in turn made my knee buckle...you AK's know exactly what I mean! :D Of course, there was no way of covering that up, so I just jumped up, brush off the knee and the "knee", and shook their hands and told them, "I'm Shane, the one-legged dirt bike guy,good to meet you. By the way, I do that pretty frequently, so get used to it!" (With a big smile of course, like this--> :D ) Eventually, everything was settled and they unloaded and left. Then I finally got a chance reflect on what had just happened. I wanted to find that rock and...crawl under it! Dang , that was embarrasing!!

I think you handled it well, Shane, all things considered! It's always a little tough to "recover" after something "public" happens to you!

There's a chain of craft stores that I patronize... and I'll drive 10 miles out of my way to go to one particular store in the chain (even though there's another one only about 2 miles away) because it's laid out in a way that makes it very easy for a person using mobility aids to navigate. That was VERY important to me when I was still in wheelchair or on walker, so I continue to shop there even though I don't "need" the accommodations now, to thank them for "being there" for me. Anyway, I was at this store Friday evening. Several of the staff had asked me if I needed assistance getting my purchase out to my car... and I'd just told them all "no" in turn... and as I headed out the door, I stepped firmly on the wheel of my shopping cart with my prosthetic foot.

I did NOT go down (thank goodness!)... but it was a struggle, and it startled me... and I shrieked in surprise. And I DO mean "shrieked": I'm a singer (first soprano, light-operatic style) and when I shriek, I SHHRRIIIEEEEK! It echoed EVERYWHERE... cars stopped and drivers stared... people came running... I have no doubt at all that, somewhere, dogs were pricking up their ears and howling along.

And THEN I had to tell everyone, all over again, that I was "fine"... and walk the rest of the way to my car with the whole world watching, waiting for me to trip, or slip, or drop somthing... or let out another shriek!

I wanted the pavement to open up and swallow me whole!

Oh, man! I've done that shopping cart wheel thing several times too! It always startles me so much that I wonder "OK, did I freak out on that? I hope I didn't make any noise, 'cause it was loud in my head!! Quick to the next aisle and it never happened..." :lol:

I've done the shopping cart thing too! In fact, I just did it yesterday. :lol: I've also had the knee buckle. That's always fun. :rolleyes: It seems that doesn't happen so much anymore though (knock on wood). Mostly I just do a little stumble where I'll turn to look and see if something is there, which more often than not there isn't a thing, and go on my way trying to act like it was no big deal.

Shane, it sounds like a wonderful and graceful recovery! You did good!

I've only almost fallen in public once. In a pet store... I didn't shriek (Cheryl, I almost wish I could've heard that!), but let forth a loud gasp. I'm working on picking up that arty foot! I have to think about how I walk!

.....so I just jumped up, brush off the knee and the "knee", and shook their hands and told them, "I'm Shane, the one-legged dirt bike guy,good to meet you. By the way, I do that pretty frequently, so get used to it!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent recovery!

By the way, you have to teach the rest of us AK's how on earth you managed to "jump up".....

Hehehehehehe, I don't know about perfect 4 point landing, definitely a perfect come back though.

Ally <---still smiling

:)

I think it was a good come back too.....

As for the shopping car thing, I think that is something that should be in a beginner amputees manual..

Rule # 17

"You will without a doubt, at some point, step on a shopping cart wheel... EXPECT IT"

As long as we are always able to get up, who really cares who sees?

Higgy, you are correct... if we can get up that is the biggest reward!

I'm really pleased that I learned fairly early on that I COULD get up off the floor when I need to! The idea of being stranded on the ground and unable to get up on two feet again really freaked me out! I learned early in the summer when I worked outside planting flowers and such, that by golly, I CAN get up, unassisted, from the ground. It ain't pretty, but at least I'm not stranded!

PS. Admit it folks, didn't you step on shopping cart wheels and the heels of other folks when you had both legs??! :P I've always been a spazz, so this is nothing new to me (however, recovery is a bit more complicated!)

PS. Admit it folks, didn't you step on shopping cart wheels and the heels of other folks when you had both legs??! :P I've always been a spazz, so this is nothing new to me (however, recovery is a bit more complicated!)

Holy cow! You've been spying on me!! :lol: The difference is, back then I knew what clutsy(?) thing I had just done. Now, at least for that first half second, I'm like "What the h** was that!!!" I guess it has something to do with that whole "no nerve endings in the prosthetic foot" thing! :lol:

I guess this should go in the "Don't you hate when" thread, but it seems appropriate here also.

Have you ever been standing at the kitchen or bathroom sink, turn to leave and feel as if your foot is nailed to the floor. You look down and it is sticking under the toekick so far that you can't move. This is when I almost take a tumble.

I have been there and done that :D it is amazing the looks you get and often people try to help you get up and end up making it harder for you.

I guess this should go in the "Don't you hate when" thread, but it seems appropriate here also.

Have you ever been standing at the kitchen or bathroom sink, turn to leave and feel as if your foot is nailed to the floor. You look down and it is sticking under the toekick so far that you can't move. This is when I almost take a tumble.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my, that ALWAYS happens to me at restaurants. They invariably have those stupid legs that attach themselves to a centre pole that goes up to the middle of the table. Without fail I get my foot stuck there and can't get up.

Oh too funny.

I've fallen in public a number of times, with consequences varying from minor to a pretty serious knee injury, but my most spectacular fall came about 8 months after my amputation. I was getting around pretty well, and I went to an amateur astronomy swap meet with a lot of vendors at tables. I was talking to an acqaintance who didn't know I'd lost a leg, and was being very reassuring and casual about the whole thing..you know how it is, "Of course I'm all right. This is no big deal..." etc., etc. During the course of the "spiel" I reached down and patted my fake leg. You know what happened next. Somehow I'd managed to touch the release button in exactly the right way and it did what it was supposed to do. I stepped out of my leg and came down on a table full of VERY, VERY expensive eyepieces and optical doodads, which went all over the place. Luckily there was no damage to either the optical goods or myself, but I learned right then that God, the Universe, or whatever, does not like a complaisant smartass. If you're up and moving, be happy, keep going, but watch out for bragging!

There you go.......Fate always has a way of biting you if it even thinks that you are going to try to tempt it.

I think it was a good come back too.....

As for the shopping car thing, I think that is something that should be in a beginner amputees manual..

Rule # 17

"You will without a doubt, at some point, step on a shopping cart wheel... EXPECT IT"

As long as we are always able to get up, who really cares who sees?

That was one of the first things I did, Higgy.....Yikessss, I thought here I go right in the middle of Krogers, but finally caught myself. If fact I now know to watch the cart wheels. :blink::huh:

Neal,

How did you know what I specialize in. I get it stuck under furniture, the refrigerator, the cabinets. You feel like someone put super glue on your shoe. I almost fell over backwards in the kitchen - it scared me to death.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

I have some simular problems! My prosthetic leg dose not move when I think it is and I get caught on all kinds of things! : :rolleyes: