Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

removable cosmesis

Hi everyone,

In the recent spell of hot weather I found that I could no longer wear the jeans that I normally wear throughout the year. I get embarresed about people seeing my leg but in order to keep going I reluctantly began to wear shorts. The cosmesis looked dirty with me crawling about on the garage floor fixing cars and that gave me another excuse not to go anywhere. After a few days I had to go out and decided that the cosmesis not only looked grubby but it had a stocking on and I am not into that sort of thing, so I removed the cosmesis and went about "Robocop" style. This felt better as I wasn't walking around with something that was pretending to be a real leg and doing a bad job of it.

Now it has gone cool again (much sympathy to our American friends more so now having suffered the same heat) I am back in the jeans. Now I don't like the way the jeans look and have put the cosmesis back on. It does look much better and with it on I need not be as careful when getting in and out of the car avoiding chipping the paint on the sill or when sitting in my chair and worrying about an allen bolt damaging the leather cushion. I am nearly done and apologise for the length.

Has anyone else been in this situation and is there an easilly removable cosmesis available? Thanks.

I've seen them for Bks. I am interested in one myself. It fills out the leg when wearing trousers and socks. If you took yours off and then put it back, isn't it removable now?

I suppose it is :D I cut it along it's length to remove it because I couldn't be bothered taking the foot off to remove it and I put a new stocking on to hold it together. I put a big ladder in it trying to get it on :(

Someone mentioned a removable cosmesis to me recently ... it might have been Thomas, and it sounded like a good solution: it was slit up the back and had velcro to fasten it together.

Thomas? WAS that you? Please drop by here!

Thanks cherylm, it would be nice if I could get one because what I am using at the moment does not look that professional as it was modified in under a minute. :o

yes, i told about my cosmesis. i am an ak, but only have a cosmesis for the lower leg. the cosmesis has a slit on the back side with a velcro glued in. i wear normally 2 of these nylon knee socks over it. changes just do take 2 minutes now.

a thing, what is not so good, is the connection between foot cosmesis and lower leg, but this doesn´t bother me. thats under the jeans. when i wear sandals, i walk in robocop style.

ciao thomas

thank you for your reply Thomas, Did you cut the cosmesis yourself or did your prosthetist get it made for you?

I will do a search on you posts to see what you said. Thanks.

my prosthesist did it...not just for me, also for many other customers. on the upper part of the lower leg cosmesis he also "glued" some leather....makes sense , because the socks dont go far enough and so izt looks better.

will try to post a pic, but not before evening B)

Paul you can actually get the foam which is cut down the back-that's how it comes. Which is what I have, but it has skin over the top to hold it on. Like Thomas I'm AK so it's only lower half. If I didn't have the skin it would come on and off

Mel.

Mine is exactly like Thohom's.... only his is neater ;)

I don't wear mine though. If you ask your prosthetist for a 'discontinuous' knee ball your knee will look much better under your jeans and you won't need the cosmesis. That's what I've got.... but then I don't mind looking like robot anyway...

oh oneblueleg,

the pictures are mostly from the masterpiece. i cant´t wear it, because the socket is too wide and i prefer the liner system. this socket is with suction.

the picture with just the cover is from my c-leg i normally use.

ciao thomas

Thank you very much Thomas for you help and for posting the pictures. I have spoken to my prosthetist and he is going to see if he can get one made for me on Monday.

The discontinuous knee ball sounds interesting oneblue. I have an ESK Endolite with an IP unit. (I think it is an ESK!) I seem to remember having something like the knee ball before. it was a two part cosmesis and I wrecked the knee ball working on cars and doing a lot of kneeling. It was a hard plastic thing. Am I thinking of the same thing?

Thank you very much Thomas for you help and for posting the pictures. I have spoken to my prosthetist and he is going to see if he can get one made for me on Monday.

The discontinuous knee ball sounds interesting oneblue. I have an ESK Endolite with an IP unit. (I think it is an ESK!) I seem to remember having something like the knee ball before. it was a two part cosmesis and I wrecked the knee ball working on cars and doing a lot of kneeling. It was a hard plastic thing. Am I thinking of the same thing?

Yeah that's the one.... it won't put up with much abuse though.... kneeling is OK, but climbing around the garage floor mending cars is likey to ruin it pretty quickly. It gives the shape you want under trousers though...

post-255-1154611672_thumb.jpg