Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Its very interesting to see how things happen with these HP plakes. At one of the shoping centers some ofthe HP's were romoved and ornage spots for pregnent woman were installed. I wonder if i got pregie and parked ther if anyone would notice lol. I can't believe they did that . Those spots are few and the overlaod of HP's on the use of the spots leaves most real handicapped people in the back row waiting for a place to park. As for paying for them don't you think we payed enuff for the disability we live with? We don't have to pay here so far for the HP's. I am not going to say that to loud lol. NOw for the giving out of these HP"s plakes=, there is so much abuse that it isn't funny here. People that have care homes use them to do there shoping and have no one in the van or car with them. As far as I know If you are taking a disabled person shoping its ok to park there but I imagine that the disabled person is going in to shop also not sit in the car and wait for friends to shop for them. If that be the case don't park there in the hancicapped person is not getting out to shop. There is so much abuse here its unreal. ONce as I was parking my turck in the HP spot i was aproached by a store want to be guard and he told me that I shouldnt be parked there and that I needed to be handicapped to do so. My truck was not even in park yet when he approached me. I never had a chance to put up my tag. I didn't care for his attitute so I was out of my truck so fast I almost hung my self wit the dam seatbelt. I ordered him away form the turck and he didnt want to move so I moved himwith the door when I opened it. Then I droped my drawers and told him if that qualified me for parking and told him to f off after I was so mad I had to laugh after. Yes i did go to see the mall manager about this. I :unsure: Haven't seen hiim since hmmmmmmmmmmmm. If some of these people can't walk from a prking place to a mall door , how dothey manage to get around the mall's. There are but only 2 special chairs for us to use if they are working at all and maybe 2 standard wheelchairs. I hate malls for that reason to dam big and to far to walk if you have troulbe with ur limb not fitting right or other stuff like that. I have often spoken to mall managers not to move stuff around so much so we don't have to walk all over the dam stores looking for an item that was moved for whatever reason just to make you walk all around the store and see other stuff hoping you will buy something else lol. Oh well enuff for now just something to think about. I guess my beef is if you can't walk to the store form the car how do people manage to walk all over the malls?

'Stinker' First of all, you are right in what you are saying....and everyone else is correct also. It makes me furious when I see someone in a handicapped space with a carload of kids ~ jump out of their vehicle and run inside a store. You can be sure most of the time, they really do not need it. :(

:blink: BUT I WILL TELL YOU ~~~~AFTER I READ THE ABOVE POSTING, I LAUGHED SO HARD I NEARLY FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR :blink::blink: TEARS WERE ACTUALLY ROLLING DOWN MY CHEEKS. YOU HAVE TO BE ONE OF A KIND!! WOULD LIKE TO MEET YOU. :D :D :D :D

Hi Ann :) , I think they broke the mold when they made me lol. Ite nice to see others are expressing there happenings also. Its not just us having problems. By the way where are you from? It sure would be interesting to meet some of the people in here and have some great conversations. It reallly ticks me off to see politations that do nothing about our situations. OOOOOOOOps I am from New Brunswick Canada. :P

Wow, my state is really serious. http://www.handiplate.com/Washington%20summary.htm

You get a $5000 fine and/or a year in jail if you lie or misrepresent yourself to get a placard.

Here in Washington you get (free) either 2 placards or a single license plate.

One benefit of living in WA and being a disabled vet - I have a lifetime pass from the Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission. That lets me enter/park/camp etc. in any WA state park for free. Not a bad little perk.

I received my new Missouri handicapped placard in the mail today. (They no longer charge the $2.00 fee, which I found a pleasant suprise.) I have a handicapped license plate on all three of my cars, and am allowed one placard in case I go somewhere in someone else's car. My wife's car has the handicapped plate because it is also registered to me, but never uses it for her own use, unless I am with her.

With the placard was a letter from the Motor Vehicle Bureau, that I must keep with me at all times that I am using the parking spot. In it is the following information"

"You may use designated disabled parking spaces only when:

A physically disabled person is an occupant of the motor vehicle, OR

The vehicle is being used to pick up or drop off the person who is the legal holder of the enclosed placard".

(I accentuated the word only above.

Like you Stinker, I once stuck my bare stump out at someone questioning my right to park there, also asking them if "this qualifies me". The difference however is that I was wearing short pants and didn't need to drop my britches. :lol:

In California, my right to park in the handicapped was challenged almost daily, however I have been in Missouri 15 years now and have never been challenged once. Colorado is similar to California - very aggressive.

California parks are also free to the handicapped. I want to think that so are national parks, but it has been so long that I am not sure.

[

Like you Stinker, I once stuck my bare stump out at someone questioning my right to park there, also asking them if "this qualifies me". The difference however is that I was wearing short pants and didn't need to drop my britches. :lol:

Rofl lol....well its like this, its was winter here so had on long pants had no choice hehehehe...to hedouble ll with him, he was nuffin but a f shi^head :angry: :P :lol:

Yesterday as my wife and I walked out of the theater three teenage girls ran by us, jumped over the berm and got into the car next to mine which displayed a HP placard and was parked in a HP space. I asked them which one was the owner of the placard, which the driver quickly removed. They rolled the windows down and could see me standing there with crutches and my leg missing. I asked them again as to whom the placard belonged to. Still no response from them. So I said, "I have your license plate and I am going to report you." They sped off. Ten minutes later I was at the police station and was told they would investigate who the placard belonged to. It was clear that these three teenage girls were in fine health as they all ran to the car and not one of them claimed to be the owner of the placard. It is a heavy fine for using someone else's placard and for loaning your placard to someone else. Whether they get caught or not hopefully they will have learned a lesson.

[Freddie, would you please follow up on this and let us know what happenes? Go back to the police station and maybe get some written information and what actions they took. Perhaps the name of the investigating officier. See waht they tell you . That way you will know if they auctually investigated it or not. :)

I was told once that I might as well be "whistling in the wind" as to go around reporting incidences like this and expect much to be done. The police have "much more important things to do". Now, if they happen to be right there at the time, and can write a ticket, they will - as long as it doesn't require much effort.

Last week, my local pharmacy, ,a chain store which I trade at, used up two of the four handicapped spots right in front of the store to place sale items. I called the manager and he told me that he was told to do this with the home office. I told him that I wanted to talk to the district manager, and gave him my number. About an hour later, I got a call from Oklahoma City main office and the district manager. He first said that this was private property and there was no legal rule against it. I told him that once it is designated a handicapped, it belongs to the city. Even if he owned the store, he could get ticketed if he parked there without a placard. He gave me the reason for using it, which was that it was easier to keep an eye on. I then asked him what his customers thought - Here, of all places, was a drug store where customers were predominantely ill, old, or handicapped to begin with, and he was telling them that selling his sale merchandise was more important than for them having a close place to park. I mentioned that I look great for the first 10 to 20 feet, but after that my circulation goes out and I sometimes have a hard time walking to the back of the store. He said that he had never thought of that.

I also mentioned that it was my personality to speak up when I perceive a wrong, but the majority of the world usually only grumbles to itself. If I'm complaining - I asked - then how many others notice it and won't necessarily come to them but go tell their friends that this drug store puts it's handicapped citizens second? Word does get around I said.

He immediately called the store and had it taken down, and told me that he would never have it there again. I thanked him - and only then told him to say hello to one of the other main managers who was an old friend of mine. He wasn't aware of it, (at that time) but they also are one of the few retail places that I have my product in. I would have taken them out - quickly, had it not been resolved properly.

We all have to speak up - and then follow through as Stinker suggested. Even if sometimes it is thought to be just "Whistling In The Wind". :P

Tks for the support Jim. :D Its great to hear that someone else beside me make the differance in our little world :unsure: and make some noise. Maybe we will get some respect as humens and not awwwwwwwww poor you types. :blink::rolleyes: We work like the rest of the planet and pay taxes like the rest of the planet. Time for them to fess up to us being around. ;) Hell , we have to work to pay for our parts lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :angry: . Sorry no harm here on this one. :( Isn

't that a joke lol. <_< :lol: ;)

this might be my opinion only but when hancicappedd is difined it means, that people with a leg imparment totaly. After all those with leg imparments have a good reason to park there because we cant walk in deep snow and other such crappy weather. Those with two legs that are operationally working have at least functionally working limbs. If heart people are considered disabled, how come they can walk around the whole store and not need assistance from any devicies that we use. If I M not mistaken they are suposed to get exercise by getting out and walking. Sasme thing goes for obese people ...get out and walk to reduce the problem you have at least you have the opertunity to do that. We don't have that chance in life to regrow limbs or other such stuff that costs a great deal of money. I do hear that some animals have the regroth thingie hehehe. To bad man decided to spend money on animals instead of mankind!!!If it sounds like I am venting well maybe I am or mZybe I am not..We ahve been around for thousands of years. Its time for others to snap to atten tion and live in out world. :)

Today in Boston the Registry of Motor Vehicles and the State Police reported on a year long study of 965 HP placards. What they found in Boston was 33% or 350 placards were being used by people who had no legal right to use them. Some were dead relatives' plates, some were live relatives' plates, and some were friends' plates. Another 155 were deemed suspicious plates because the expiration dates were not visible. New placards are being designed. Doctors are being warned to not be giving out plates to people who are not truly disabled. Legislation is being considered to make altering a placard a felony. Now it is a fine of $500 and 30 day loss of license for illegally using a HP placard. I could think of a few punishments myself. It is about freaken time the state cracked down on these able-bodied jerks who used these spaces at the expense of the disabled.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional...ticleid=1016957

tks Freedy, sounds good to me. Its good to see pther peeps taking nitice about this ad keeping up on it. I wrote the boston harlod a letter and will wait for a responce to see if they post what I want. I have asked them to post the requirements for holding a plakard in there city. Lets see what they come up with. :D

Here in Saskatchewan you need a note from the doctor and I don't remember any charge for it. Illegal parking in HC spaces really gets me furious. I carry around a sheet of "memos saying they are illegally parked and I have reported them to the police--it would do any good if I did, but I hope it scares them a little and they will think twice. I have been know to park them in when I have seen a young kid jump out of the car and literal run into the store. I tell the person on the desk what I have done and why and I take my time. I have been sworn at and I reply, is that how you talk to your grandmother? I get in and drive away. I am not particularly afraid--people don't shoot people here--because I am right in front of the store and don't do it at night.

I really want to put them in a wheelchair and see if it matters. Now have my "new leg" I usually don't park in HC spots regularly, only when I need them and in the winter.

Hi Beth

Do you know what disability gets a hp or what type of ilness do u need to get on. It would be interesting to see just who is considered pyhsically chalanged. I always thought you had to have a lower limb imperment and that HP's were for drivers only. After all is it that what its all about. If the driver is not imparied then they can help the HP holder out at the door of the enterance. In the begiining it seemed to be that here. If a person was seeing exiting a car with no limp, god forbit the hounding that person would get lol. Now there are more HP plaques that abled bodied people. :huh:

Guest bearlover
Wow, my state is really serious. http://www.handiplate.com/Washington%20summary.htm

You get a $5000 fine and/or a year in jail if you lie or misrepresent yourself to get a placard.

Here in Washington you get (free) either 2 placards or a single license plate.

One benefit of living in WA and being a disabled vet - I have a lifetime pass from the Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission. That lets me enter/park/camp etc. in any WA state park for free. Not a bad little perk.

Not as bad little perk and well earned!

I was told once that I might as well be "whistling in the wind" as to go around reporting incidences like this and expect much to be done. The police have "much more important things to do". Now, if they happen to be right there at the time, and can write a ticket, they will - as long as it doesn't require much effort.

Last week, my local pharmacy, ,a chain store which I trade at, used up two of the four handicapped spots right in front of the store to place sale items. I called the manager and he told me that he was told to do this with the home office. I told him that I wanted to talk to the district manager, and gave him my number. About an hour later, I got a call from Oklahoma City main office and the district manager. He first said that this was private property and there was no legal rule against it. I told him that once it is designated a handicapped, it belongs to the city. Even if he owned the store, he could get ticketed if he parked there without a placard. He gave me the reason for using it, which was that it was easier to keep an eye on. I then asked him what his customers thought - Here, of all places, was a drug store where customers were predominantely ill, old, or handicapped to begin with, and he was telling them that selling his sale merchandise was more important than for them having a close place to park. I mentioned that I look great for the first 10 to 20 feet, but after that my circulation goes out and I sometimes have a hard time walking to the back of the store. He said that he had never thought of that.

I also mentioned that it was my personality to speak up when I perceive a wrong, but the majority of the world usually only grumbles to itself. If I'm complaining - I asked - then how many others notice it and won't necessarily come to them but go tell their friends that this drug store puts it's handicapped citizens second? Word does get around I said.

He immediately called the store and had it taken down, and told me that he would never have it there again. I thanked him - and only then told him to say hello to one of the other main managers who was an old friend of mine. He wasn't aware of it, (at that time) but they also are one of the few retail places that I have my product in. I would have taken them out - quickly, had it not been resolved properly.

We all have to speak up - and then follow through as Stinker suggested. Even if sometimes it is thought to be just "Whistling In The Wind". :P

Jim, you could print the below and put it on the offending car.