Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest bearlover

Does any one ever lose their balance?

I think that falling gracefully (not to be mistaken with falling safely) should be part of the Amputee Handbook (that we all know doesn't exist yet).

So tip away Lizzie dear, I am all ears.

:)

Okaayy...

...first of all you need a pair of crutches, then you need to trip over a paving slab (that must have raised itself up about 2cm as I was swinging my BK through & then it sank back again just as quickly), then your (weak) AK leg goes out to save you...try as you might, the combination of crutches and your AK, can't keep you upright ...and TIM-B-E-R, you fall sideways, with grace...just like a collapsing rectangle. B)

I think it's years of me practising how to fall gracefully, Ally; I often do controlled falls into chairs, depending upon their level of hardness, of course. :huh:

Lizzie :)

I hope, Sue, that you had on a beautiful full skirt that landed perfect all around you. :P

I love the avatar too. Could look at it all day.

<_< Maybe it's just me. See, I get the gentle "swooning" motion when one lands gracefully onto a well placed chair.

But oh Lizzie - I could NEVER do a graceful pavement landing. More like OOFFFF - (and insert appropriate sailor language at this point).

You never cease to amaze me!

:)

Oh, thanks girls...she's very sweet isn't she? B)

And, yes, Marcia, I was wearing a beautiful full (purple) skirt. I'm not sure if it landed perfectly around me...it was graceful, though. :huh:

Thanks, Ally...you're a peach. :D

Okaayy...

...first of all you need a pair of crutches, then you need to trip over a paving slab (that must have raised itself up about 2cm as I was swinging my BK through & then it sank back again just as quickly), then your (weak) AK leg goes out to save you...try as you might, the combination of crutches and your AK, can't keep you upright ...and TIM-B-E-R, you fall sideways, with grace...just like a collapsing rectangle. B)

I think it's years of me practising how to fall gracefully, Ally; I often do controlled falls into chairs, depending upon their level of hardness, of course. :huh:

Oh gosh! That reminds me of when I first went home. I had multiple pelvic fractures, so I had to wait about three months before I could be fitted for a prosthesis. I went out on the deck one day and lost my balance somewhat as Lizzie described. Being an inexperience faller, ok, inexperienced AMPUTEE faller, I spun around to keep from falling to the side (who knows why) What I managed to do was gracefully turn 180 and land straight on the end of my stump. O-o-o-o-o!! It hurt so bad, I cried like somebody had just stolen my dirt bike or something. Then I called my Doc, and he acted like it was no big deal. Man, I was mad. A couple hours later, the pain backed off and I found out, he was right. <_<

I guess my least favorite way to lose my balance is when I occasionally start to fall to the left (LAK). Feels kinda like that pole vault thing. It seems like a slow fall at first, but you know it's gonna be a hard landing, but there's not a thing you (well, I) can do about it!

One last thing and I'll shut up. ;) While typing this there was a knock at the back door. My little dog went crazy so I rushed to the door. I stumbled and caught myself on the washing machine. I looked up and it was my son's little 8 yr old buddy, peeking in the window with eyes as big as saucers. Man,I really need some more practice...

Ok...now disengaging the motor-mouth! :D

Okaayy...

Oh gosh! That reminds me of when I first went home. I had multiple pelvic fractures, so I had to wait about three months before I could be fitted for a prosthesis. I went out on the deck one day and lost my balance somewhat as Lizzie described. Being an inexperience faller, ok, inexperienced AMPUTEE faller, I spun around to keep from falling to the side (who knows why) What I managed to do was gracefully turn 180 and land straight on the end of my stump. O-o-o-o-o!! It hurt so bad, I cried like somebody had just stolen my dirt bike or something. Then I called my Doc, and he acted like it was no big deal. Man, I was mad. A couple hours later, the pain backed off and I found out, he was right. <_<

I guess my least favorite way to lose my balance is when I occasionally start to fall to the left (LAK). Feels kinda like that pole vault thing. It seems like a slow fall at first, but you know it's gonna be a hard landing, but there's not a thing you (well, I) can do about it!

One last thing and I'll shut up. ;) While typing this there was a knock at the back door. My little dog went crazy so I rushed to the door. I stumbled and caught myself on the washing machine. I looked up and it was my son's little 8 yr old buddy, peeking in the window with eyes as big as saucers. Man,I really need some more practice...

Ok...now disengaging the motor-mouth! :D

This morning I forgot that at this time I am NOT able to lead with my prothesis going up stairs and I still need to go one step at at time. My trip up the steps ofr the bank resembledma sailoron leave who just ran out of beer money, At least I deidn"t fall. Scared myselfr tho.

JudyH

Has your doctor fractured his pelvis very often? <_< I felt onto my AK when I was waiting to have my AK hip replaced & that was sheer agony. :( But, Ouch, Shane! That must have really hurt?! :ph34r:

All I can suggest is try to land on your arms, but, preferably not on to an out stretched hand. I know it sounds obvious, but use your arms and good leg to save you.

One last thing and I'll shut up. ;)

I can hear your Irish ancestry coming through loud and clear there, Shane! ;)

This morning I forgot that at this time I am NOT able to lead with my prothesis going up stairs and I still need to go one step at at time.

I think it's just a matter of practice & trust, Judy. I can't lift my AK leg up to get up stairs, so (if the steps are shallow enough) I go up two at a time with my 'good' leg. :huh:

I think it's just a matter of practice & trust, Judy.

Exactly

I go up or down just the same way that I used to with two legs, but it did take practice....and trust.

I have been a LBK for just 3 years now. I'm doing much better every year. Except I loose my balance a lot. I only fell once, and usually cartch my self but, it always looks like I'm drunk! especially on grass or on uneven ground. My husband says i'm only walking on a pipe and a pin. Since I have the pin system. Sometimes it is a little funny :lol: But also annoying! Dose any one else loose their balance? Dose it go away the longer your a amputee?? Thanks! ;)

While I was in rehab they had me practice balancing on a pillow thing that wiggled when you dtood on it. Idst really helps.d I put it in front of the sink whiloe I am doing sishes. I usually have very good balance no except on uneven grounde or side walks where pieces stick up. I have learned to walk looking down . Idst is a little mire difficult for me because I can't feel my left foot either and once I lose my valance it is allover. I stick my stump out and land on it. I really haave to learn not to deo that. I havce onlot fallen 4 times since Nov. 11, 2005. Twice the day I came home from the hospital.

JudyhH

:unsure::angry: Geeze, I always have been alittle off.....head & tush!! So I guess I am not alot different than I ever was...but back to your question, yes I can get off balance very easily...and most of the time it is when I am around alot of people...I don't know if I just get nervous and what. :o :o :o

I tend to lose my balance if I take a step and my prosthetic foot

decides to have a mind of its own and go in the opposite direction :lol:

It´s a little bit funny, I was amputated 20 years ago and then, being under 20 years old it wasn´t any problem to stand under the shower with one leg and eyes closed. 10 years later in one tv-show they had all kind of competitions and one was that whose going to stand up longer with one leg and eyes closed :D

Anyway, today when I´m closing my 40 years, I´m having more trouble with my balance. It´s always been hard to walk on to not stable ground, but it is also depending on what kind of knee system you´re using.

It´s a little bit funny, I was amputated 20 years ago and then, being under 20 years old it wasn´t any problem to stand under the shower with one leg and eyes closed. 10 years later in one tv-show they had all kind of competitions and one was that whose going to stand up longer with one leg and eyes closed :D

Anyway, today when I´m closing my 40 years, I´m having more trouble with my balance. It´s always been hard to walk on to not stable ground, but it is also depending on what kind of knee system you´re using.

I know what you mean Mia, like you when I was a teenager I never gave it much thought. I am not sure if its my age or the limbs, but I am much more careful these days.