Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest bearlover

Does any one ever lose their balance?

Guest bearlover

I have been a LBK for just 3 years now. I'm doing much better every year. Except I loose my balance a lot. I only fell once, and usually cartch my self but, it always looks like I'm drunk! especially on grass or on uneven ground. My husband says i'm only walking on a pipe and a pin. Since I have the pin system. Sometimes it is a little funny :lol: But also annoying! Dose any one else loose their balance? Dose it go away the longer your a amputee?? Thanks! ;)

You've been at this longer than I have, Bear, but yes... I lose my balance at least a couple times a day. More (MUCH more!) if I'm on uneven ground!

Today I was on perfectly even ground -- I was walking down a hallway at work -- when I took a misstep and started to lose my balance. I really had to work to stay upright... I wound up kind of lunging down the hall and into the doorframe of one of the offices. I grabbed onto the frame and leaned against it to steady myself, all the time trying to look "casual!" When the occupant of the office looked up, startled by my "entrance," I just grinned and said, "Just dropped by to say HI!" and went on my way.

I've noticed it getting better with time. I sure hope that continues.

OH, man can I relate to this!! My kids tease me because I look like I'm drunk weaving around when I walk. I don't know what the reason is but I'm glad to hear there are others out there with the same issue!!

These are the times when a sense of humore comes in very handy!

Carol

Guest bearlover

Oh yes I look drunk too! My husband holds my arm and I'm staggering around. Or he has to help me walk on the grass. I look like i'm really drunk :o funny to watch passer bys! :lol:

Obviously it's not for everyone...but two things really helped me improve my balance: 1) working out on a punching bag :rolleyes: , and 2) lifting a small dumbbell with one arm while standing on one "leg".

I've been a LBKA and RAKA for 1.5 years and now only loose my balance when I do something pretty agressive, like trying to carry something heavy with both hands up a flight of stairs. (Knock wood, but I haven't fallen now in 6 months!)

I felt like that most of the first year. My PT told me that I should be able to balance on pros for a few seconds. I couldn't do it all with the first foot I was issued because it had a pivotal ankle. There was no spot where it was stable. When I got my second foot I began forcing myself to balance on prossy leg. I started by holding a hand rail or chair to see how long I could stand on pros only. I then graduated to using no rail. It all depends on the ground I'm on, but I can balance for quite a few seconds before placing my good side on the ground. My legman and I had a challenge one day. He won, but then again, he's been an amp for 22 years.

All in all I have great balance now. There are those days when I wonder what is wrong, but most days are just like I had two good legs. I think if you have good health, trust in your leg and good balance, you'll be a better, happier amputee.

Obviously it's not for everyone...but two things really helped me improve my balance: 1) working out on a punching bag :rolleyes: , and 2) lifting a small dumbbell with one arm while standing on one "leg".

I am bilateral b/k and been so for years, I can't say I loose my balance that often but I can easily be knocked "off balance", by something that takes me unawares, like a small slope, dip in the grass or something that I hadn't seen or expected to be there. Likewise though, I can be sitting in a chair that suddenly leans back or a passenger in a vehicle that suddenly veers to one side and that is similar, I suppose probably due to lack of muscles in the legs to grip to the floor.

Like the above quote, I have recently found that using a gym ball for exercise has really benefitted my overall balance.

I sometimes lose my balance but there are two reasons for that.

1. Red wine

2. Gross stupidity :lol:

I have been a LBK for just 3 years now. I'm doing much better every year. Except I loose my balance a lot. I only fell once, and usually cartch my self but, it always looks like I'm drunk! especially on grass or on uneven ground. My husband says i'm only walking on a pipe and a pin. Since I have the pin system. Sometimes it is a little funny :lol: But also annoying! Dose any one else loose their balance? Dose it go away the longer your a amputee?? Thanks! ;)

I'm bilateral & I lose my balance, sometimes, too. Although, my balance has improved recently and I think I've discovered why...my hubby bought me a digital camera for my birthday and ever since then, I've been busily 'snapping away'. To take a decent photo, I have to make sure that I keep very still. My balance has improved without me really noticing, as I've been so busy concentrating on the images I want. Perhaps you don't want to take photos, bearlover, but if you want to improve your balance, my suggestion is to try and find an activity you like doing, that involves standing up. :)

Lizzie :)

It is a little different for me. I have severe diabetic neuropathy and I have very little feeling in my remaining foot. Stepping on a pebble that I don't see can put me flat on my face. I used a cane before I had the amputation to help with balance. I can walk very well with my prosthesis and I do walk around the house without a cane. But I decided that when I'm out I will omit vanity and use the cane. Falling flat on my face is not graceful.

JudyH

These balance issues are really a pain. After 11 years I still can't stay upright if I close my eyes and I'm not wearing my leg. Showering is particularly difficult - you know - you close your eyes because the shampoo runs everywhere.....

Even the few seconds it takes to whip a shirt over my head.....I've learned to stay close to the bed when I do this....every time a coconut - whooooooooooo - over she goes!

:P

On The Question of Balance.

About 2 years ago, our DSC sent out a questionnaire asking the same question. Apparently so many leg amputees had reported loss of balance, that they had undertaken the survey.

Wise doctor , him tell me that, in the same way that osteoporosis is guaranteed to some degree in amputees, ( bone that should be in contact directly with the ground does not regenerate the same when spending its' time in an unnatural environment, ....refer to problem for astronauts sans-gravity. ) balance has to be constantly re-trained to be maintained.

Do you remember when, as a child, you were drawn to walk on wall-tops, road-kerbs, train-rails and the like?? Apparently, it is a natural self-training response from the brain to learn to balance.

" Use it or lose it !!!"

( It is one of a series of important questions in the test for Disability Living Allowance in the UK. )

I am losing balance at an ever more alarming rate. I started making allowances, because I could anticipate what I was going to struggle with. Now, I stumble, fall over, trip up on and walk into objects many times a day,(without alcohol et al.)

The other factor is that the ? autonomic nervous system ? ( not sure of the word) can no longer accurately judge the length of the leg without neural feed-back.

So I'm afraid, fellow leg-amputees, that it's a downward spiral with age.

Now ain't life GREAT ???' :blink: :P

On The Question of Balance.

About 2 years ago, our DSC sent out a questionnaire asking the same question. Apparently so many leg amputees had reported loss of balance, that they had undertaken the survey.

Wise doctor , him tell me that, in the same way that osteoporosis is guaranteed to some degree in amputees, ( bone that should be in contact directly with the ground does not regenerate the same when spending its' time in an unnatural environment, ....refer to problem for astronauts sans-gravity. ) balance has to be constantly re-trained to be maintained.

Do you remember when, as a child, you were drawn to walk on wall-tops, road-kerbs, train-rails and the like?? Apparently, it is a natural self-training response from the brain to learn to balance.

" Use it or lose it !!!"

( It is one of a series of important questions in the test for Disability Living Allowance in the UK. )

I am losing balance at an ever more alarming rate. I started making allowances, because I could anticipate what I was going to struggle with. Now, I stumble, fall over, trip up on and walk into objects many times a day,(without alcohol et al.)

The other factor is that the ? autonomic nervous system ? ( not sure of the word) can no longer accurately judge the length of the leg without neural feed-back.

So I'm afraid, fellow leg-amputees, that it's a downward spiral with age.

Now ain't life GREAT ???' :blink: :P

I must be having a senior moment but I do not understand the connecction to osteoporosis and the loss of balance. Would you explain please?

JudyH

Hi Judy

I took my last acoholic drink many years before I lost my leg, but thank the Good Lord for that constantly, expecially now as an amputee. I just cannot imagine how people, (amputees) are able to maintain their balance after a few drinks. I have enough trouble (occasionally), as it is.

I tell people that walking on one of these.... (stilts?), is akin to what I imagine is like riding a unicyle. (which I have never done). It's all in the balance.

I don't "walk" with my prosthesis, I "pole vault" over the leg. This requires balance, and timing. If I am a little off then...... yes, I do lose my balance.

Now with that said, I just finished supervising my roof being redone, and that meant climbing the ladder and walking around on the roof to do the inspecting to make sure that it was done my way. At near 70 and restricted circulation....... plus, the prosthesis, that can be fun..... but is definitely doable. Not the time to lose one's balance. :blink::blush: :P

Hi everyone,

Losing my balance, I still have a little problem with that now and then, espcially on rocky ground or slopes. I'm normally pretty well balanced on flat ground. But then I also have had 24 years of experience on my bka. I would imagine it would be tougher with an aka. I have to watch out when my hip pops every now and then. I damaged that also in the motorcycle accident. My prosthetic man told me years ago that I adjusted very well. I guess the moral of the story is "practise makes perfect". Have a great evening and have fun in life. Jerry

Guest bearlover

:lol: :lol: :lol: I agree Jim! I can't imangine being a little tipsey and walking with a stilt leg! :blink: :o :D

Well, I just got home from my latest chance to practice "the balance thing." I went with a couple of friends to a concert in a nearby park. Yep... open ground, tall grass, tree roots, at twilight, carrying a picnic dinner.

I'm still using a cane outdoors, precisely because of my continuing difficulties with uneven ground. And I've NEVER, since the amputation, walked uneven ground in bad light while carrying something bulky.

I didn't do half-bad, if I do say so myself. FAR from "perfect," but I managed. A good part of my problem was pure nerves... my leg actually held up quite well.

My walk in the park wasn't exactly a "walk in the park," but it was encouraging. I know that I really AM making progress, and it's got me excited about trying it again... in daylight, and without the picnic basket!

Bear I stack about once a fortnight-that might make you fell a little better; :P

I also stack in many different places no where is safe. Hope that this makes you feel better-let me tell you though I don't like it at all. :blink:

Sorry judyh,

I still obviously think that I have "the command of the English language." Amelorating my French has shot my spelling too.

The common denominator between osteoporosis and balance is the loss of neural feedback from a "live and fully functioning limb".

Sudeck's Atrophy ( aka. Reflex Sympathy Dystrophy ) is also connected for the same reason.

No, I know I'm not a doctor, but in the 14 yrs since my accident, I have absorbed a lot of info. from Doctors (GOOD AND BAD).and if you pick out the areas of agreement, you stand a chance of arriving at the medical facts. :huh: (hopefully) And sometimes a well informed layman can do rather better than a poor Doctor. Think about it !

Er.....g'Day Mel, Could you translate your post for a pommie wowser please? :huh:

Guest bearlover

:lol: Thanks Melaussie!! :lol: :lol: :P It dose make me feel better! :lol:

I get off balance a lot and am very cautious on uneven ground and slopes. Don't like slopes at all. So far, I haven't fallen I but know it's coming one day. :o

Guest bearlover

Yesterday I was @ a park and almost fell I grabbed into my sister for dear life..Thank goodness she was close by. I wonder with more experience this goes away?? :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, you grab directly without floundering, and your experienced AB walk-friends grab you back with the least discomfort and "spectacle".

:P