Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Yeah that is a good idea asking, I know my local pool does that. Also usually people don't know about them so you can have the whole pool to yourself. If they don't run one then you should suggest that they should.

The other way is to ask when the less busy times are in the pool, during school hours when the kids can't use it is usually pretty good. Once you get going on a regular basis there will be no stopping you.

Well done though, that is a great accomplishment and well done to your kiddy too :D

Ok, I saw jim's pics, and now I must say I have a few of my own that I would love to share.. I was just kinda shy, LOL.. I hope you guys enjoy!!

Go for it Lisa, swimming is the only sport i really enjoy as i dont need the prosthesis to help me around. I do drop by the public pool once in a while to relax with my friends, and boy do i love the look on the people's face when i outswim stroke for stroke, lap by lap,hahaha. I'm classified S9 class in IPC swimming. drop me a mail if you need any info on swimming, i'd be glad to help you out.

So I tend to think people respect and admire what you are doing rather than look at you with ridicule. :)

Just my opinion.

I think that your "opinion" is right on. I have heard far more comments of respect than I have of ridicule. I would say 99-1 (or at least 90 - 10). Somewhere in there

TO THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND - NO EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY.

TO THOSE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND - NO EXPLANATION WILL SUFFICE.

I was forced to change my workout due to rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder. A fellow swimmer told me to give up the crawl for four months and do other strokes. Since August I have been doing half of the time the backstroke and the other half of the time breast and side strokes. Where I once could swim 70 lengths( a mile) in 45 minutes I now do 60 lengths in the same time. It seems to be a harder workout because of the new regimen. There is now no pain in my right shoulder. I will wait until January before I try the crawl again. So instead of having pain or stopping swimming altogether I feel good and thankful that I can still swim.

Freddy, that is a fantastic amount of swimming, do you swim down after your sessions?

As you swim your body temperature and heart rate rise and the blood vessels in the muscles expand to allow more blood and hence oxygen to them. During swimming the body releases chemicals into the blood stream, such as adrenaline and endorphins, and there is a build up of waste products in the muscles.

Waste products tend to remain in the muscles and can be a factor in muscle soreness and stiffness after swimming. In any case, it is not good for anyone to have a rapid decrease in body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure.

The swim down therefore serves two purposes:

It reduces your pulse at a rate that helps maintain blood pressure

It returns the blood to your heart but keeps the circulation at a rate that allows waste products to be effectively removed from the muscles.

If you've been swimming a lot of front crawl or fly, swim some backstroke. This works the joint in the other direction and exercises the opposing muscles. Doing this regularly can prevent, and in the early stages reduce the impact of, an injury.

Ladies, my wife won't be seen dead on a beach without these

Thanks for the tip Sparky. What I do is enter the whirlpool for 5 minutes after swimming laps to let the hot jets message my shoulders, back, any place that needs it. Then I shower to cool down after that, but I start off with warm water and gradually lower it. I feel pretty good when I am ready to drive home.

I went swimming for the first time since my amputation in the sea in France last month. With the help of my swimming leg! i managed to swim a little, and it was brilliant.