Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
VeryScared

Right Around the Corner, Roz!

RozM,

As your surgery date fast approaches, I want to wish you quick healing and good health. You are in my prayers. The road you have chosen requires bravery, which you certainly have, and faith.

Be well soon. Please keep us up to date on your progress. (And drop an email from time to time, if you have a chance.)

All the best to you.

Maryl

Best of luck, Roz! Please update us when you can. We'll all be thinking of you. :)

The same here, Roz... may everything go smoothly and get you back on the road to a healthy and mobile life!

Adding my good wishes to the bunch. Hope all goes well.

Take care.

Carol

Roz, I'm only beginning to know you, but I know you as a very good soul.

Remember to keep your spirits high and to give yourself every "break" you can!

We'll all be thinking of you. BIG {{{{HUGS}}}}

Hi gang!

Thank you so very much for your kind thoughts, it's so great to have your support and encouragement!

I'll be admitted to hospital tomorrow and will be able to keep in regular contact, which is a further comfort.

Later!

RozM. :)

Best wishes Roz................... see you soon :)

Cat

All the best Roz - we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love

Ally

I wish you the best and get rested up after and back to us. Please keep us posted if you can.

Hi everyone;

It's done! I'm officially an Ertl RBKA!

I'm back on the ward, have just had a delicious NHS evening meal (!), and I'm feeling very good!

The stump length seems to be 16cm, or 6.3 inches, which is what my surgeon expected, and I'm on an epidural for pain, which is currently only mild.

There's no nerve-type pain yet, so it'll be interesting to see what hepens when the epidural is taken away, but I'll probably have it for 3 days.

Thanks a million for all your support leading up to this point, now it's done I'll be asking a whole new kind of questions!

Very best wishes to you all

Hi Roz:

So glad to hear your surgery went well. You sound like your in good spirits.

Take your time to heal, and keep in touch.

Lynne

You seem very upbeat, although I have to wonder if you didn't try to push the gurney yourself from recovery back to your bed!

Perhaps someone will send pizza to counteract the NHS fare. :D

Wishing you good recovery and a new life free of pain.

Maryl

Hi Roz,

Sorry I didn't get to wish you well before your surgery, but congratulations on being on the other side of it now! I can't believe you are up to posting on the forum already- that's great! If that's any indication of how quickly you'll recover- this will be a breeze for you! :)

Prayers for continued progress are being sent your way, Roz!

Cheri

I have to copy what Cheri said..... I'm sorry that I didn't get on in time to wish you good luck, but I am really glad to hear that you are on the up hill side of everything now. I wish you a speedy, and fairly pain free recovery. It sounds like so far, you are doing fairl well.

Just remember, baby steps, when you get up on your crutches. One day at a time and don't rush it.

Take care

Higgy

Roz,

Best wishes on your recovery and new leg.

Hi everyone;

It's done! I'm officially an Ertl RBKA!

I'm back on the ward, have just had a delicious NHS evening meal (!), and I'm feeling very good!

The stump length seems to be 16cm, or 6.3 inches, which is what my surgeon expected, and I'm on an epidural for pain, which is currently only mild.

There's no nerve-type pain yet, so it'll be interesting to see what hepens when the epidural is taken away, but I'll probably have it for 3 days.

Thanks a million for all your support leading up to this point, now it's done I'll be asking a whole new kind of questions!

Very best wishes to you all

I am so glad that everything went well for you. Keep us informed. Good luck.

JudyH

Best of wishes and health to you Roz, before you know it you'll be walking!

-Samuele

Hi all;

Many, many thanks for all your encouraging words - if I'm doing well, it's in very large part due to all your support!

Even though I'm still bed-bound due to the 72-hour post-op epidural, my first full day on the ward has been eventful!

I came out of the operating theatre yesterday with the epidural, a saline drip, and a drain in my stump. As I was drinking fluids normally, the saline was taken down when it ran out, and the drain was removed this morning - painlessly, thanks to the epidural.

The epidural anaesthetises a large area below my waist, and it's also weakening my muscles, so moving about the bed is hard work! There's another an awkward side-effect - I can't tell when I need to "go" until my bladder hurts! The staff prefer not to give catheters to avoid infection risks, so I've had to schedule bedpans, and haul myself onto them, teetering there and gritting my teeth until a nurse comes to rescue me when I'm finished! Balancing is really hard work, not only because of my weakened leg muscles, but also because I'm not yet used to my amputated leg weighing so much less, so my remaining limbs do quite a lot of flailing about to keep my balance; the whole process of "going" is a strange combination of exhausting, hilarious, and undignified, but it's really developing the strength in my arms!

I had an X-ray today, and the surgeon told me that the Ertl bone bridge looks perfect, and all other vital statistics are healthy too.

I have to do physiotherapy exercises four times a day, followed by lying completely flat for 30 minutes, to minimise the risk of hip contractures. The working-out I did prior to the surgery is really paying off, as I can do all the exercises relatively easily, much to the delight of the physiotherapist!

I'm in an orthopaedic ward with 4 other women, who have had various hip or knee replacements, and we're all getting on famously! The food is actually rather good, and the staff are all friendly and competent.

There is a little more pain today, and everyone I've spoken to agrees that this is normal for the second day after surgery, when there's a little more inflammation - it feels like soft-tissue soreness. The anaesthetist told me a useful trick - lying flat or lying on the affected side will allow the epidural drugs to migrate to the right nerves to keep the pain at a minimum, and it really does work. I've been able to lie and sleep on both sides, too.

I have just a little phantom sensation - a very mild feeling that the bedsheet is weighing down on the toes of my amputated foot, but I've begun the process of rejecting unwelcome nerve messages, by focussing my attention elsewhere - I have my 1000 favourite songs on my laptop, and 32 DVD movies with me!

Every time I look down on my amputation I feel exactly as I expected, only more-so - the previous 27 years of pain, disability and disfigurement are now over, and I'm on my way to having an excellent stump, rather than a badly messed-up leg, so I'm hugely optimistic for the future.

Very best wishes to you all!

Roz.:)

I responded in another forum - but here's extra hugs for you....

((((HUGS))))

:) :) :)

Big (((((((HUGS))))))) from here too Roz

Hi Roz

I told you that you would do fine.

I know these things. :)

I'll be "talking" to you.

My God your handling this bravely. I'm proud to know you.... even through cyberspace.

Hugs from me too, Roz. You sound absolutely fantastic. I'm really glad that everything is going so well.

Great to see you on line and hope all goes well. rest up and watch those movies. Let your stump heal up nicely.