Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
VeryScared

Right Around the Corner, Roz!

Guest bearlover

I only wish I had this forum when I was recovering!! We did not get a computer until 2.5 years after my amputation :o So this has been so good for me.also..But would have been better if I had this information right from the get go... ;)

Guest bearlover

Roz! going up and down the steps takes time, I learned how to do this @ a very young age..As my problem stems from a birth defect. I learned to walk in a heavy metal brace @ age 8 months..And crutches @ age 2 :o So learning to use a prosthetic was like cake to me.. I have a lot pf experiences..I had many un successful surgries on my leg, before I lost it to a bone infection..Any way do what ever makes you feel safe and comfortable. I am sure you will do well! keep on trucking! ;)

Thanks Karen! I hear your words of wisdom, and I'll try to pace myself, and keep looking on the bright side!

...and you're quite right about being safe, Bearlover! I'll keep on trucking - safely, wherever possible!

Furthermore, I could NOT agree MORE with you about the value of the forums!!!

Last December, when I finally realised that I simply couldn't go on living with my smashed-up and arthritic leg, I felt completely lost and actually terrified about my future; I had always known that amputation was my only ultimate choice, but I dreaded the kind of life I would have after an amputation.

I found the HMM forum on about the 3rd hit of a Google search looking for information on amputation, and I barely slept for 5 days, just reading and reading and reading - it was a paradise of information!

I'll always be profoundly grateful to this forum (and others), but more particularly to all the members who make it what it is, for giving me enlightenment at a time when I was on the brink of hopelessness. As I've said before, if I'm handling this well, it's because I've seen how to, here!

I extend the greatest of respect to those who survived their amputations without the support of a forum - that must have required enormous strength and courage and resilience, and it's your remarkable stories and informed comments being present here now that have made it so much easier for me and future amps to go through this difficult time.

God bless you!

RozM. :)

This girl is a gem... :)

Glad everything went so well Roz, I tell Wendy what you've said about her colleagues if you don't mind.

I had terrible phantom pains for about 2 to 3 weeks after surgery and have not had anything like it since. So trust that it will settle....

Hi Roz

I'm so sorry that I didn't get to you prior to your surgery, but I have devoted all of my energies to victoria who had her amp on June 28th.

You certainly seem to be coping with everything wonderfully well, and I sincerely hope you continue to do so.

Thank you for the the support you afforded me prior to Victoria's surgery.

Hiya, friends!

Day 16 and it's time for a progress report!

I've been back home for 5 days, and have encountered both organizational and bureaucratic problems!

Bureaucracy first... I was disappointed to discover that (1) my hospital Occupational Therapist was ill, and (2) the Social Worker lady I'd seen with the hospital OT was on leave, so there was no way I could get my much-anticipated shower-stool! In fact, (3) I couldn't even get hold of the Social Services OT as she was "out of the office" until Tuesday, and (4) it took someone else 3 goes to even find me on the Social Services computer! Hmmm; it had all seemed so promising before I went into hospital, but now I've been left feeling that I'm just another irrelevant number in an uncaring, grey system... ...and this is the kind of thing that make me super-resourceful! You've guessed it - I went and bought my own shower-stool! I bet they'll feel comprehensively trounced when they find out - hah! ...actually, on current performance, they probably won't find out even when I tell them!

As regards organization, oh boy! I've moved back to a building site! The sporadic availability of the electrician and plumber seem to be the main reasons that the house isn't finished, and when the water was turned on this week, an open water pipe above the ceiling of the first floor quickly made itself horrifyingly apparent! After a panic and a few days drying out, a water pipe that had been nailed-through by the electrician also made itself apparent, in the same way, but with a quaint time-lapse-photography effect! And - you know this is coming, don't you - both these happy events occurred after the carpets had been laid! So I still can't move into my great big ensuite bedroom that has room for everything (including a fridge and my 50-inch TV!), and am stuck in a much smaller makeshift room with stairs in every direction... There isn't even enough floor-space to do the new spinal exercises my physiotherapist gave me - I have to do them on the bed, which doesn't quite work... However, I know that a flustered project manager is doing all he can to fix things, so I should be in within the week. But, Ms. Super-Resourceful has been making the most of the situation!

I found a small fridge and packed an iMac out of the way, and amidst much hopping and perspiration and many expletives, I frankly beat the small room into submission! It now serves most purposes, including make-shift kitchen (but it only has space for a 14-inch TV - sigh!), it reduces my exposure to the hazard of stairs, and consequently diminishes my need to use the evil crutches, potentially wrecking my posture's centre line alignment! Ensconced in my micro-paradise, I reasoned that I might actually be able to chill enough to heal - until I discovered that the 14-inch TV is so old that it can't handle my DVD player's output of Region 1 disks! Region 2 disks play OK, but my collection is in the ratio of 50:1 Region 1 to Region 2, so that precludes my planned Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition marathon! Oh, well - it'll be better on the 50-inch TV, when I eventually get there!

My stump is coming along well; I had the dressings changed on Tuesday and Friday, and the wound still looks better than anything any special-effects department could come up with! I'm always amazed at how bright and strong the dark pink of the suture line is - it almost glows with a dramatic primal redness, and I guess it looks exactly like what it is - an exposed strip of visceral muscle tissue stuff that normally lives far, far away from daylight! There is still a little tissue fluid emanating from the centre of the wound, but it's clear, and there are no irregularities in the wound itself; the outside edges have scabbed nicely, and I guess that will progress inwards. I still have the stitches in, and they are now scheduled to be removed on Thursday by my excellent GP, who has an excellent touch for minor surgery.

I'm apprehensive, though, because the sensitive spot in my suture line is still alive and well! During my bedroom machinations I managed to hit that precise spot against a crutch, and it felt as if my phantom heel had been plugged directly into the AC mains electricity! I gave the obligatory blood-curdling scream, and then laughed at how it must have sounded! I was right by an open window at 10:00pm, and there were people about, but I was on the first floor so they couldn't see me! What with screams followed by giggling, they've probably become highly apprehensive of what lurks in my neighbourhood! I just hope the same pantomime isn't repeated at my doctor's surgery on stitch-removal day!

I'm hoping to get a Juzo on Tuesday when I next see my physiotherapist; the exudate from my wound hasn't been enough to strike through the simple dressings I requested at the last dressing change, so the potential problem feared by my physiotherapist of the Juzo sticking shouldn't happen. I've begun using crepe bandages in preparation, and this has increased my phantom sensation a little - pins-and-needles sensations coming and going in random patterns on the sole of my phantom foot; I occasionally massage my stump a little to remind my brain that there's nothing actual beyond the end of my stump, and that it should stop validating all this virtual nerve nonsense! I have a feeling I'll need to be very persuasive to convince it!

Right! I'd better get on with some exercises, and then I'm going to test my shower stool! Life is good, nah?!?

Very best wishes

Roz. :)

PS: Oneblueleg - Thanks for your experiences, and definitely tell Wendy what I said! Say hi for me, and I hope she'll pass on my comments!

Anne - I'm very happy to see Victoria's continued progress, which must make you feel much better too! Keep on keeping on!

Roz, I so enjoy your updates. Please keep 'em coming :D

Guest bearlover

Sounds like things are comming along good! Thanks for letting all us know how things are comming along! :)

Hi guys!

I have good news, and - well - some questions!

The good news is that, at exactly 3 weeks post-amp, the dull, achey feeling of broken bones has completely gone from my stump, so I think I can feel that my bone bridge has successfully consolidated itself! It withstands any kind of palpation or exploration, and all feels solid and free from pain, which is most encouraging. It only remains to have this confirmed next week in my scheduled follow-up X-ray.

My questions concern my suture line...

My wound is still "wet" - the doctor couldn't take the stitches out today, as it was too wet. In fact, the wetness now extends the entire length of the suture line, whereas on Tuesday, it occupied only the right half of the wound. It doesn't look bad - in fact, it continues to look better, as there now seems to be a surface on what used to look like muscle tissue - it's just that it's wet...

Now, my doctor said that the wetness of the wound is partly due to bacteria on the surface, but that the surrounding tissue is not inflamed, so there is no need for antibiotics, and I can believe that.

I've noticed that there is more discharge from the wound if I use crepe bandages to give a degree of compression to my stump. I had crepe bandages in hospital, but the nurses dressing the wound since I was discharged have not used them. It seems that compression is aggravating the wetness problem.

My physiotherapist says (understandably) that compression is necessary, because my stump needs to be shrunk before a limb can be fitted, and I was hoping to start compression as soon as possible, but it seems I can't, yet.

The other thing that may be a factor in my healing is my pain medication, which is Paracetamol (acetaminophen), and 2 forms of oral morphine - Oxycontin 10mg, and Oxynorm 10mg. The former is slow-release, and the latter can be taken every 4 hours for breakthrough pain. I've been trying to take only the slow-release variant every 12 hours, and the "immediate" kind only rarely.

I'm concerned that there have been studies which show that morphine can impair wound healing, and I'm wondering whether I should consider an alternative.

I must confess that it's not easy doing without something stronger than the Paracetamol - I've let the morphine wear off for a couple of hours, and I have some fairly strong phantom feelings, in the form of strong pressure on the sole of my "foot", and the occasional "zapper" in my "toes"

So, here are my questions:

What are your thoughts regarding the "wetness" problem of my wound?

Do you think I should avoid compression dressings until the "wetness" problem has settled down?

If I must delay using compression dressings now (including a Juzo), once I can start using them, how long will I need to use them before a limb-fitting will be realistic?

Do my phantom sensations sound normal for 3 weeks post-amputation?

Should I try to keep my phantom sensations minimised? Could they remain as acute or get worse if I don't take a painkiller to suppress them?

Do you agree about morphine retarding healing, and if so, what alternative painkillers should I consider?

Forgive me if this sounds like an inquisition! Don't feel obligated to reply to every question in triplicate, and I know that there may well be only general answers to any and all questions, but if you have any thoughts at all I'd really welcome them right now, as I'm a little concerned that my recovery may be on the cusp of a stall! :blink: Please advise, if you can!

I look forward very much to hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes

My questions concern my suture line...

My wound is still "wet" - the doctor couldn't take the stitches out today, as it was too wet. Roz. :)

Roz,

Are you referring to serum fluid?

I believe so - there's no evidence of pus, or anything more suspicious...

I believe so - there's no evidence of pus, or anything more suspicious...

Well,

In my personal experience, my serum lasted for quite a long time ( a few months ) . My doctors told me it was the body's natural glue. Every time I changed my dressing there seemed to be an excessive amount of yellowish-clear fluid. It used to freak me out for fear of infection but apparently it was nature taking it's course. :blink:

I hope it is something like that and nothing serious. :)

Thanks Chris! That's a relief! :)

How long was it before you got your stitches out?

Guest bearlover

yes it is your bodys way of cleaning out the yukie stuff. It good it is coming out..This happned to me also, That is what I was told.. ;)

I had mine in too long. almost 6 weeks :o

Hindered my healing! :blink:

Hey Roz! Good to hear that things seem to be going well for you. I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the phantom pain issue. I had that pressure feeling in my foot starting immediately after my amputation, but I had it before the amputation also. The difference was that, after my amputation, pain meds had no effect. I was told that phantoms are nerve pain and do not respond to opiates (normal pain meds). I could take so much that my head would be high as a kite, but the phantoms were still crystal clear. I spent alot of time trying ever increasing doses of nuerontin, but never got any noticable relief. My memory isn't so hot, but I think I got a link to an article (from this forum?) that told success rates of different meds used to treat phantom pain. Best I can remember :blink: , amitriptylene showed the highest success rate. Maybe I dreamed part of that or something, but I asked my doctor to try it and I saw an instant improvement. Not 100%, but things had gotten so bad that any relief was great. I'm now 1 year out and, even if things get no better, I'll take what I've got and be happy. :D Sometimes it seems doctors can get stuck in the mud and need a little push to get moving. But, I get the impression that you have NO problem giving a push when needed. :lol: :lol:

Roz, my stitches were taken out 10 days after amputation & as to the phantom pain I still have it especially if I am over tired or if it is a dreary, rainy day. But look at you>>>>>you are recovering great...after listening to everyone I often wonder if I could have survived without my hubbys help.

Guest bearlover

I gat more phantom pain the more stress iam under.And the more I walk or use my leg..The more phantom pain I have.. :( And it is a lot. :angry::angry:

Hi all;

Many thanks for your helpful thoughts following my questions last time!

OK! Stuff has happened – here’s the story...

Following the excessive wound "wetness" last Thursday (when, as a consequence of the wetness, my stitches couldn't be removed), my doctor asked me back on Friday to have the dressings changed again, and also to see what changes there may have been in the wound. As the dressings came off my heart sank – there was as much wetness as ever, the wound smelled bad, and the surrounding skin had begun to become inflamed – unsurprisingly, an infection was diagnosed.

The nurse took a swab from the wound, and with mounting panic I began to wonder whether the dreaded MRSA would be present, as it so often is in these circumstances. The wound was re-dressed, this time with Aquacel AG, a dressing which apparently contains silver to kill pathogens, and I was immediately put on antibiotics – Metronidazole 400mg and Amoxicillin 1000mg, both 3 times a day; these are apparently pretty high doses. I also changed from morphine to Tramadol for pain, just to make sure my metabolism wasn't being suppressed by the morphine.

I didn't enjoy the weekend at all! I was deeply worried about the outcome of the tests on the swab (the results of which I wouldn't know until Tuesday), my wound had also begun to sting – a new kind of pain – and the antibiotics completely wrecked my digestion! I felt constantly nauseous, I didn't seem to be digesting anything, and I was really weak and depleted; all in all, I began to feel really ill and afraid...

...however, the combination of Aquacel dressings and antibiotics must have worked, because there was a definite improvement in the wound by Monday's dressing change. I then began to experience a new annoyance – I get a "fizzing" feeling in my wound and my phantom foot for over a day after the Aquacel is applied, not so much as to be painful, but enough to prevent me from sleeping! By Tuesday, therefore, I was beginning to feel pretty sorry for myself, and dreading making the phonecall to find out the results of the swab tests.

I found I was destined to remain in suspense, as the swab results had not come back when promised, so I asked the surgery to chase them up. It was late on Tuesday afternoon that I received the phonecall that had me shedding tears of relief – MRSA was NOT present in my wound. I'd have been overjoyed if I hadn't felt so ill from the antibiotics and lack of sleep!

Today, however, I feel better. I've lost weight (...no, I won't complain about that!), but I don't feel so depleted and fragile, and at today's dressing-change there was a BIG improvement in my wound! There's still exudate, but less of it and it's not opaque, the bad smell has gone, and the incision is now clearly-defined again, whereas before it had begun to become puffy and indistinct and grey. It's now a normal-looking pinky-red incision, and the stitches are no longer obscured – it should be possible to take them out early next week, according to the nurse.

So – an unpleasant little interlude, which has set me back about a week and a half; I can't wait until the antibiotic courses finish, not only so I can begin wanting food and enjoying eating again, but also because I think I've earned a drink of something strong! I hope the improvement continues and that the infection is completely vanquished, as I'm even more impatient to get on with things now!

Speaking of getting on, my Juzo has arrived, but I can't start using it until the infection has cleared up, however my stump seems to be settling down well – even without compression it seems to be losing a little volume, and I only rarely need to take painkillers any more. So maybe the delay hasn't really disadvantaged me in my rehab!

I did have a fascinating experience, which I can only describe as a slow-motion near-catastrophe!

As opposed to the laborious chore of sitting at a wash-basin and attempting to feel fresh by struggling with a flannel, I decided to have another shower. I'd had one before, but the process of wrapping up my stump in a towel and a bin-liner was so laborious (and so was the unwrapping!) that I'd reverted to the basin. However, it's always seemed a poor substitute for a shower, and, feeling dreadful and in much need of a cleansing tonic, I resigned myself to toiling away with the bin-liner and electrical tape again...

Aaah! The bliss of cascading water! My meagre little shower was transformed into the kind of tropical paradise waterfall that exists only in the most elaborate shampoo commercials! It made me feel so refreshed! My stump is strong enough now to cope with kneeling on my shower stool for brief moments, but being inexperienced at this, I don't do it for long enough to risk losing my balance. So, covered with lather, I sat back down – and began to slide slowly sideways off my shower stool!

I realised that I was subject to a horrible combination of factors! I would have been fine if: 1) there had been grab-rails to grab; 2) there had been a shower cubicle door to push against, as opposed to just a shower curtain; 3) there hadn't been slippery soap between me and my shower stool; and 4) I'd still had a right foot to put down! I found myself crying out "No! No!", as I slid sideways, gradually becoming wrapped up in the shower curtain, on my way sideways out of the cubicle and towards the toilet, upon which, as gravity took over, I would undoubtedly concuss myself! The resulting shambles would have been both pathetic and painful, and most certainly not the outcome I had sought from my shower!

I think I must have spontaneously developed the power to levitate, as, defying logic and able to gain purchase with just one finger on the flimsy shower handset hose, I somehow stopped sliding, and suddenly my past (and ignominious future!) stopped flashing before my eyes; quaking with relief, I stood up and thoroughly rinsed myself and the shower stool before sitting back down, and I finished my shower with a feeling akin to seeking to escape a car wreck... I was showered, but also shaken and stirred!

As well as being first-person slap-stick(!), my shower experience turned out to be a valuable lesson in examining situations for potential hazards – thank God I learned the lesson without coming to grief! The basin and flannel may be arduous, but their lack of excitement has given them a new appeal!

Things seem to be back on track, so I guess the next events will be stitch removal, and shortly afterwards beginning with the Juzo, and I go back to the North Hampshire Hospital on Thursday 14th for my bone-bridge consolidation confirmation X-ray. Shortly after that I should get a hexcelite stump-protector, which, as a result of the infection, will arrive just as I move out of the building site it was intended to protect me from! However, I'll also begin using the PPAM-aid as soon as the bone bridge is known to be OK (it certainly feels fine!), and then eventually the limb centre; after the uncertainty of the infection, it's wonderful to feel that it's all attainable again – joy!

Best wishes all!

Hi all;

Many thanks for your helpful thoughts following my questions last time!

OK! Stuff has happened – here’s the story...

Following the excessive wound "wetness" last Thursday (when, as a consequence of the wetness, my stitches couldn't be removed), my doctor asked me back on Friday to have the dressings changed again, and also to see what changes there may have been in the wound. As the dressings came off my heart sank – there was as much wetness as ever, the wound smelled bad, and the surrounding skin had begun to become inflamed – unsurprisingly, an infection was diagnosed.

The nurse took a swab from the wound, and with mounting panic I began to wonder whether the dreaded MRSA would be present, as it so often is in these circumstances. The wound was re-dressed, this time with Aquacel AG, a dressing which apparently contains silver to kill pathogens, and I was immediately put on antibiotics – Metronidazole 400mg and Amoxicillin 1000mg, both 3 times a day; these are apparently pretty high doses. I also changed from morphine to Tramadol for pain, just to make sure my metabolism wasn't being suppressed by the morphine.

I didn't enjoy the weekend at all! I was deeply worried about the outcome of the tests on the swab (the results of which I wouldn't know until Tuesday), my wound had also begun to sting – a new kind of pain – and the antibiotics completely wrecked my digestion! I felt constantly nauseous, I didn't seem to be digesting anything, and I was really weak and depleted; all in all, I began to feel really ill and afraid...

...however, the combination of Aquacel dressings and antibiotics must have worked, because there was a definite improvement in the wound by Monday's dressing change. I then began to experience a new annoyance – I get a "fizzing" feeling in my wound and my phantom foot for over a day after the Aquacel is applied, not so much as to be painful, but enough to prevent me from sleeping! By Tuesday, therefore, I was beginning to feel pretty sorry for myself, and dreading making the phonecall to find out the results of the swab tests.

I found I was destined to remain in suspense, as the swab results had not come back when promised, so I asked the surgery to chase them up. It was late on Tuesday afternoon that I received the phonecall that had me shedding tears of relief – MRSA was NOT present in my wound. I'd have been overjoyed if I hadn't felt so ill from the antibiotics and lack of sleep!

Today, however, I feel better. I've lost weight (...no, I won't complain about that!), but I don't feel so depleted and fragile, and at today's dressing-change there was a BIG improvement in my wound! There's still exudate, but less of it and it's not opaque, the bad smell has gone, and the incision is now clearly-defined again, whereas before it had begun to become puffy and indistinct and grey. It's now a normal-looking pinky-red incision, and the stitches are no longer obscured – it should be possible to take them out early next week, according to the nurse.

So – an unpleasant little interlude, which has set me back about a week and a half; I can't wait until the antibiotic courses finish, not only so I can begin wanting food and enjoying eating again, but also because I think I've earned a drink of something strong! I hope the improvement continues and that the infection is completely vanquished, as I'm even more impatient to get on with things now!

Speaking of getting on, my Juzo has arrived, but I can't start using it until the infection has cleared up, however my stump seems to be settling down well – even without compression it seems to be losing a little volume, and I only rarely need to take painkillers any more. So maybe the delay hasn't really disadvantaged me in my rehab!

I did have a fascinating experience, which I can only describe as a slow-motion near-catastrophe!

As opposed to the laborious chore of sitting at a wash-basin and attempting to feel fresh by struggling with a flannel, I decided to have another shower. I'd had one before, but the process of wrapping up my stump in a towel and a bin-liner was so laborious (and so was the unwrapping!) that I'd reverted to the basin. However, it's always seemed a poor substitute for a shower, and, feeling dreadful and in much need of a cleansing tonic, I resigned myself to toiling away with the bin-liner and electrical tape again...

Aaah! The bliss of cascading water! My meagre little shower was transformed into the kind of tropical paradise waterfall that exists only in the most elaborate shampoo commercials! It made me feel so refreshed! My stump is strong enough now to cope with kneeling on my shower stool for brief moments, but being inexperienced at this, I don't do it for long enough to risk losing my balance. So, covered with lather, I sat back down – and began to slide slowly sideways off my shower stool!

I realised that I was subject to a horrible combination of factors! I would have been fine if: 1) there had been grab-rails to grab; 2) there had been a shower cubicle door to push against, as opposed to just a shower curtain; 3) there hadn't been slippery soap between me and my shower stool; and 4) I'd still had a right foot to put down! I found myself crying out "No! No!", as I slid sideways, gradually becoming wrapped up in the shower curtain, on my way sideways out of the cubicle and towards the toilet, upon which, as gravity took over, I would undoubtedly concuss myself! The resulting shambles would have been both pathetic and painful, and most certainly not the outcome I had sought from my shower!

I think I must have spontaneously developed the power to levitate, as, defying logic and able to gain purchase with just one finger on the flimsy shower handset hose, I somehow stopped sliding, and suddenly my past (and ignominious future!) stopped flashing before my eyes; quaking with relief, I stood up and thoroughly rinsed myself and the shower stool before sitting back down, and I finished my shower with a feeling akin to seeking to escape a car wreck... I was showered, but also shaken and stirred!

As well as being first-person slap-stick(!), my shower experience turned out to be a valuable lesson in examining situations for potential hazards – thank God I learned the lesson without coming to grief! The basin and flannel may be arduous, but their lack of excitement has given them a new appeal!

Things seem to be back on track, so I guess the next events will be stitch removal, and shortly afterwards beginning with the Juzo, and I go back to the North Hampshire Hospital on Thursday 14th for my bone-bridge consolidation confirmation X-ray. Shortly after that I should get a hexcelite stump-protector, which, as a result of the infection, will arrive just as I move out of the building site it was intended to protect me from! However, I'll also begin using the PPAM-aid as soon as the bone bridge is known to be OK (it certainly feels fine!), and then eventually the limb centre; after the uncertainty of the infection, it's wonderful to feel that it's all attainable again – joy!

Best wishes all!

Your post scared me haf to death - the last time I smelled my leg they cut it off the next day.! You can get a cast cover to put on your leg - it just slides over your stump and bandages to shower . You can also get a cover that you can even go swimming in.

WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN THE SHOWER WITH NO GRAB BARS??????? (yes, I am shouting)do you have a death wish? Even if you don't want to install permanent grab bars in that bathroom you can get the portable ones. They are not as good but they will help you regain your balance.

JudyH

Wow Roz,

Glad to hear your wound is getting better. As for the shower I use a chair at home and the gym has a grab bar I can rest my stump on. Hope things go better for you now. Freddy

WOW!

Roz,

I was reading your post like it was a suspense novel. My nails are now stubs! I am glad to hear you are ok though. Like JudyH I can't believe you ventured into the shower without grab rails. You are very fortunate. More importantly I'm glad MRSA didn't get ahold of you. Dodged the bullet on that one huh? :rolleyes:

Please be careful!!

I'll get back to the UK on the 20th so hopefully you will have an appointment around that time so I can give you your official reprimand for the shower escapade!

All jokes aside if you do venture into the shower try this. Tie a towel over the seat of the stool. Make sure it is secured properly. I found this helpful when I wasn't strong enough to shower on one leg ( call me a daredevil ) as it didn't allow me to slip at all. Make sure it is a thick one!

Lotsa Luv...

B)