Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Fiona Call

Standing up on pedals whilst cycling - is this possible?

Dear all,

Next weekend I will be cycling from the West Coast to the East Coast of England (the thinnest bit at the top).

The ride goes through the Lake District and over the Pennines to Newcastle and so is going to be quite hilly.

I have been on a few practice rides up hills and can get up most of them using my gears but if they are really really steep I have problems. I think it would be much easier to do this if I could stand up on my pedals to give myself more power but I have tried this a few times and just can't seem to do it.

What happens is that my right foot (prosthetic foot) will get to the top of a rotation of the pedals but I just don't seem to have enough power in my muscles or leverage in my stump (which is short) to push the pedal down and round again.

Is it possible to do standing up cycling if you are a BK? If so does anyone have any tips on how to do it?

Fiona

Standing up is fine I find BUT cycling while standing is very hard for an amp for the exact reason you mentioned, it's possible on the flat although like you I have a small stump and am recovering from two ankle ops on the other leg so at the moment I can't, there is a solution but I doubt you'l get sorted in time for you trip.

The solution can be found here http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/eggs/01.html best bet would be to speak to them (really nice bunch of very understanding guys) explain what happening and I'm pretty sure they can help you.

Good luck with the ride Fiona :)

It's certainly possible to stand on the pedals....but......I have had my most spectacular crashes while standing on the pedals and try to avoid it. Some hills demand it so I'm careful about where I have my foot, I don't use clips so my foot is prone to slipping off.

It's an interesting feeling flying through the air. I don't recommend the sudden stop though. :P

Enjoy the ride.

Cat

Good luck with the ride Fiona :)

It's certainly possible to stand on the pedals....but......I have had my most spectacular crashes while standing on the pedals and try to avoid it. Some hills demand it so I'm careful about where I have my foot, I don't use clips so my foot is prone to slipping off.

It's an interesting feeling flying through the air. I don't recommend the sudden stop though. :P

Enjoy the ride.

Cat

Cat, checkout the bottom of this thread, I've not had a chance to try them yet but these shoes are meant to be the next best thing to clipons, all the reviews I'm reading say they are fantastic, just trying to find somewhere locally so I can see what fits.

http://www.heathermillsmccartney.com/forum...?showtopic=3361

Thanks Cat and Rikk,

Right, I am no danger lover. Walking up those hills it will have to be if needs be. I have a lovely image of you flying through the air Cat.......

Will let you know how it goes.

Enjoy the ride.

Cat

Wish I could have seen that :o

Thanks Rikk :)

Riding once when I was a young I was peddling my butt off and the chain broke. I swore to myself if I live through the pain, I would never stand and peddle again. You see, boy's bikes have this bar in the center of the bike and well............ :o :rolleyes: Happy to say I have never done it again and I was still able to have a child. LOL

Happy to say I have never done it again and I was still able to have a child. LOL

OMG :o .......it turned you into a pregnent woman?

I'll never ride a bike again

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Fiona:

I am a LAK and I ride a bike, and yes it is possible to stand and pedal.

It will take you quite a bit of practice but if I can do it I'm sure you can. My advice to you would be to start practicing going down a hill. That will give you "the feel" for it.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing back from you after your ride.

I'm very impressed luv, good luck

Lynne

Ok Cat, you got me good. very keen eyes. I'm not going to bother correcting myself, I will be over here under this rock. :rolleyes: When you get done laughing Ally, could you just knock on the rock and let me know? <_< By the way, my wife read it too and laughed her butt off......THANKS SO MUCH LOL

Lynne and everyone thanks a million,

I actually went to physio yesterday and had a proper try at it on an exercise bike and managed it - yipeee! Am very worried about doing it in real life though as I can totally see how falling off would be very easy to do.

I am going to go to a park next week before my ride to practice I think.

I did that too when was a kid Dave - it hurts....

x x

Went to the Proth yesterday and was talking about cycling, one thing she suggested if you have an adjustable ankle is to point the toe up as far as it can go as it gives more space at the back of the leg and also when standing dosn't feel like your falling forward.

Not sure how many people have these ankles like mine that I can press a button and move it as I want though.

Other thing I've now found out is to move the pedal crank that the artifical limb is on forward about 5/10 degrees so as your real leg is all the way down effecticly the artificial limb is already over the centre and going down so making it MUCH MUCH easier.

Not sure how practical this is on all bike though, not checked on mine but if it's not practical I'll be speaking to highpath engineering about a solution.

Rikk,

Anything that gets the fake foot over the top position easily sounds really good to me.

I am not clear at all what you mean by moving the pedal crank forward. Could you explain?

Also, just thinking about actually doing that - wouldn't it mean that your feet are at different stages of each revolution at different times? I think that would make me feel really lopsided, although it sounds like it would definitely help with the standing up problem.

Also, just thinking about actually doing that - wouldn't it mean that your feet are at different stages of each revolution at different times? I think that would make me feel really lopsided, although it sounds like it would definitely help with the standing up problem.

Yep thats right, admitedly would be weird to begin with, I'll draw a pic later to better describe what i mean but think you've got it :)

sort of like the crank and pedals are a clock. set at 12 and 6. you want the pedals to be at 12 and 5 ?????

Any more than that,and it would be like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. How about shortening the pedal arm on the amp. side? That would give you a smaller revolution on that side. Keep in mind if you do that, you lose a little leverage on the power stroke but the pedals would still be at 12 and 6. Just ideas floating in my head.

sort of like the crank and pedals are a clock. set at 12 and 6. you want the pedals to be at 12 and 5 ?????

Any more than that,and it would be like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. How about shortening the pedal arm on the amp. side? That would give you a smaller revolution on that side. Keep in mind if you do that, you lose a little leverage on the power stroke but the pedals would still be at 12 and 6. Just ideas floating in my head.

Yep thats the idea, shortening the arm would work but only to help the pressure on the back of the knee where the socket presses in, for a fab remedy to that check out http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/special/swingcrank.html I have one of these coming very soon, their just finishing off testing a new design so I hopefully will get it end of Aug.

I just bought a recumbent tadpole trike (TerraTrike) and had the problem with the socket digging into the back of my knee, so my prosthetist cut the back side down a bit and solved the problem. It seems like I have a little less stability in the socket when standing up now, but it's worth the tradeoff.

I just bought a recumbent tadpole trike (TerraTrike) and had the problem with the socket digging into the back of my knee, so my prosthetist cut the back side down a bit and solved the problem. It seems like I have a little less stability in the socket when standing up now, but it's worth the tradeoff.

Thats ok if you have a decent sized stump but mines pretty weenie so loosing support off the back would be bad :(

I have very little problem standing and pedaling, especially since I bought the clipless pedals, I can't go far standing, but it sure helps on some hills. I do it all the time in spin class, for short spurts. My nemesis is hills, I guess it's due to only having one calf to push and pull up on, seems like I work twice as hard on a hill as other riders do!

Guest bearlover

I can't seem to stand up and ride my bike like I use to....Not like I could with My old messed up bone infected braced leg :(

Just found out I can change the cranks on mine to offset one pedal so am going to pickup a couple of hex wrenches to do this and see what a difference it makes, will report back :)

Also while exploring the wonder that is the net...

After using crutches for a long while I have nerve damage in my left hand which gets agravated by pressure on the ahndlebars, most of it is sorted with a decent gel glove but I stumbled on these :- http://www.ergon-bike.com/download/ergon.pdf Check out the P and R series grips, they are meant to be superb for reducing pressure and making your grip/control better.

Going to try them out at the bike shop tomorow and see what size I want, will probably get a pair with the bar ends to allow for a change of hand position when needed for extra comfort...another to report back on :)

Grrr no edit...winge moan...

Forgot to say, order a pair of 5:10 impact boots as well so something else to report back on towards the end of the week.

Bought a pair of those Ergon grips above today and fitted them, I also bought the tools to remove the pedal crank and now have one pedal at 6 and the other at 1.

Not going out till tomorow morning so will report back how I found it.